PDA

View Full Version : Just got out of the ER

Pages : [1] 2 3

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, I am an idiot.
Yesterday it was 95 with 100% humidity and I drank about 2 bottles of water all day. I could actually see and feel the salt on my skin. I did 2 full details with 4 wash/vacs in a 12 hour period (wifes on vacation with her family), which is more than I usually do. How did I save time? By not keeping myself hydrated.
Woke up this morning at about 6 vomitting badly and my stomach and lower back killing me. I knew exactly what it was. I had been warned by many mobile detailers and my father-in-law that's in the concrete biz. I had to call my brother to take me to the emergency room. I got there and they took a blood sample. Said I was one of the worse cases the doctor had ever seen. Looked like I hadn't been taking care of myself for a while. After 6 hours there and 3 bags of fluids, I'm back home drinking Pedialite. Damn this stuff I awful. Tastes like someone made Kool-Aid with salt!. Supposed to work though.
You better believe that this will NEVER happen again.

Guys and gals, I know most of you live in FL. Share with me some dehydration facts and tricks that you use.

Surfer
07-14-2006, 04:19 PM
LOL, us Floridians have evolved, we're born with the instinct to always drink water no matter what, hehe.

Honestly, even when my family races (boat) or when I raced waverunners or would go out for hours upon hours in the sun. Never had a problem, I've just always drank a lot of water. Even at nighttime going out to a bar or even driving to the office in the morning, I always have a bottle of water with me. Nothing to do with the heat or anything, I'm just thristy a lot :D

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm reading now that when working alot outside, drinking lots of water can lead to water toxicitity. Water diluted down the electrolytes that are left making things worse. Water should be taken to maintain hydration while at home or restin enviroment.
Once again, I'm an idiot.

scooterguitar
07-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Yikes, scarey stuff, glad your getting better bro!
btw, pedialite is great for hangovers!

BILL
07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Feel better justin.........relax today and tomorrow, if you feel better get up and around a bit.......

Surfer
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
What about a Powerade/Gatoraid type drink? Now that I think about it I'll drink a lot of either if I'm on the boat etc. I remember reading something saying too much water can actually have a negative effect.

scooterguitar
07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Pedialyte is the best for hyrdration, moreso than gatorade stuff...and

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys. Just got back up. I've drank about a half gallon of Pedialyte. Along with the IV fluids, I'm feeling so much better.
I believe this was something that was coming on and just finally hit me this morning. I've more tired than usual this last week. I was just not taking care of myself. Now, I'm loosing money. I had to cancel 3 appointments today. I did recieve a call from one of them about an hour ago asking how I was. Was an awesome feeling. That's never happened before when I was in the auto business.
Thanks again guys.

dengood1
07-14-2006, 05:37 PM
feeling for ya bro! I detailed my car while on vacation and I almost passed out from the heat and sweating until I stopped sweating(which should have been a warning sign!). I work in a 60 degree environment all day so the outside heat/humidity kills me! My AC went out in my car last week and I have to drive 25 miles to work.......ugh!

Glad your feeling better:cheers: Bet you carry a cantine with you now, eh?;)

dakevmann
07-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Justin hope you feel better dehydration comes up on you quick when your working and dont take regular breaks. When I deployed to the desert this last time it was 139 by 1100 so we had to stand in formatiion in the morning, mid day and at evening chow and chug two bottles of water in front of out commander because of everybody that was falling out because of dehydration. Also if you had to go to the hospital for dehydration you got an article 15 no matter what. I would suggest a Camelbak holds about 2 or 3 qts of water you wear it on your back so it also helps to remind you to stay hydrated.

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 05:59 PM
f

Glad your feeling better:cheers: Bet you carry a cantine with you now, eh?;)

Thinking of one of those camel-packs. Might look cheesy but might save me a day's work again.

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Justin hope you feel better dehydration comes up on you quick when your working and dont take regular breaks. When I deployed to the desert this last time it was 139 by 1100 so we had to stand in formatiion in the morning, mid day and at evening chow and chug two bottles of water in front of out commander because of everybody that was falling out because of dehydration. Also if you had to go to the hospital for dehydration you got an article 15 no matter what. I would suggest a Camelbak holds about 2 or 3 qts of water you wear it on your back so it also helps to remind you to stay hydrated.

Thanks man. Can't even imagine that heat. Well it's a dry heat.....YEAH RIGHT. Doesn't mattter does it? Hot is hot!

I just posted about a camel pack. I'll get one tomorrow.

dakevmann
07-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks man. Can't even imagine that heat. Well it's a dry heat.....YEAH RIGHT. Doesn't mattter does it? Hot is hot!

I just posted about a camel pack. I'll get one tomorrow.

Yeah the camelbaks are great we get them issued to us when we deploy to the desert so I have like 4 or 5 of them. Also there great for other beverages also I like to add my favorite light beer and wash my truck with it. Also makes a great funnel to when you need one but I'm married now so those days have passed. I have seen Wal-Mart sell the same ones we get issued except for the desert camo for pretty cheap.:cheers:

justin_murphy
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah the camelbaks are great we get them issued to us when we deploy to the desert so I have like 4 or 5 of them. Also there great for other beverages also I like to add my favorite light beer and wash my truck with it. Also makes a great funnel to when you need one but I'm married now so those days have passed. I have seen Wal-Mart sell the same ones we get issued except for the desert camo for pretty cheap.:cheers:

I too am married and never had the chance to use a camel pack as a funnel in college! That was like 8 years ago though. I think I will have to modify mine with a mobile detailer's utility belt or something.

HOLY DETAILING AND HYDRATION AUTOGEEK!

Don't make fun of me......I'm sick!

kellyinkc
07-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Glad you are better. I know about heat! Here in KC the temps are heading UP plus high humidity. Plan on drinking lots o water.