PDA

View Full Version : removing wax

98bmw323is
03-15-2006, 06:43 PM
i want a good product that i could use to remove old wax from the whole car. Im not sure what wax etc. the dealer used on the car so i want to start fresh again. any reccomendations? also a product to remove any old tire dressings?

Driven
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
removing wax... Clay will do this and also prepare the surface for waxing, Klasse AIO is one of my favorites, rubbing alcohol, diluted apc as a car wash, any polish. I also use APC to remove tire dressings, topoftheline.com sells a great tire cleaner from what I hear, though I havent tried it. Hope that helps

98bmw323is
03-15-2006, 09:03 PM
what is APC?

Driven
03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
sorry, its All Purpose Cleaner. Simple Green, Purple Power, Mequiars makes one in their pro line, Charlie's APC, stuff like that. Just dilute to your desired strength/needs

cwcad
03-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Poorboy's ProPolish is another good cleaner of paint. It should remove any wax that you have by either PC or by hand.

BlkTac05
03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Klasse All In One is my first choice. However, P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser & Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser work quite nicely as well.

98bmw323is
03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
isnt klasse all in one it self a sealent? is it like taking off the wax and applying sealent at the same time?

ScottB
03-15-2006, 11:58 PM
isnt klasse all in one it self a sealent? is it like taking off the wax and applying sealent at the same time?

yes AIO has acrylic sealant protection also, but it really becomes bulletproof when using SG (pure sealant) together. If you have swirls and will need to polish, this may not be the best plan of attack. If finish is good, and you simply want to remove and replace its not a bad option.

when I want to strip the car down to bare and start over, I usually clay and polish the surface. Both remove wax and sealants. If you really want to get serious, wipe the car down with 70% alcohol and 30% water mixture first, then wash as normal. 3M also sells a wax and adhesive remove that does the same thing.

5000XD
03-17-2006, 01:03 PM
If you really want to get serious, wipe the car down with 70% alcohol and 30% water mixture first, then wash as normal. 3M also sells a wax and adhesive remove that does the same thing.

Interesting. I have a liner in my Tacoma and have paint sealant on the edge of it. Somehow it gets white now after I wash/dry my car. I'll give the alcohol 70% a shot.

PEI Detail
03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
removing wax... Clay will do this and also prepare the surface for waxing, Klasse AIO is one of my favorites, rubbing alcohol, diluted apc as a car wash, any polish. I also use APC to remove tire dressings, topoftheline.com sells a great tire cleaner from what I hear, though I havent tried it. Hope that helps

Clay won't remove most wax. But the other options are all there.

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-17-2006, 10:45 PM
I clay and then polish to remove old wax to start fresh.

Miami_Sunset
03-17-2006, 10:46 PM
+1

joe.p
03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Clay won't remove most wax. But the other options are all there.
I clayed my car my car then washed it and noticed it was still beading like crazy. i guess you answered the this question for me..

5000XD
03-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I clayed my car my car then washed it and noticed it was still beading like crazy. i guess you answered the this question for me..

I might be wrong but beading doesnt necessary mean that there is still wax on there, just that the surface is ultra smooth and 'clean'.

ScottB
03-18-2006, 09:07 AM
I might be wrong but beading doesnt necessary mean that there is still wax on there, just that the surface is ultra smooth and 'clean'.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/iagree.gif

Beading is really only one indicator that wax might be on the surface, or that wax is still properly protecting. Very clean items (like new cars) bead like crazy when infact, usually no protection is present. Thus I use the alcohol/water wipe to assure finish is clean. If wax or sealant is present it turns slightly (very light) milky white prior to being washed off.