PDA

View Full Version : What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

Rod73
11-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Hi! I am curious what mistakes anyone has made shopping for the wrong detailer/shop in hindsight or even more specifically what would someone who has had a bad experience with a detailer do differently now?

Thank you all! Hoping for a productive and valuable post.

Eldorado2k
11-12-2019, 03:09 PM
I’ve never looked for a detailer to do my cars, but if I did I’d have alot of things that I’d watch out for... Mainly I’d want to stay away from a detailer who tries too hard to sell me on how trendy he and the products he uses are guaranteed to be the latest and greatest and therefore most expensive experience imaginable... IMO detailers who work hardest to maintain an image or a 5 star rating on Yelp aren’t really equipped where it really matters because the true mark of quality is in the work and care of the customers vehicle and caring about the relationship between him/her and the customer instead of being an actor making sure to say all the right things and kiss butt in hopes for a positive review to maintain their fake image.

I think finding a true and honest detailer would be about as hard as finding a true and honest mechanic. They’re out there, but good luck finding them.

DetailKitty
11-12-2019, 04:06 PM
I've never looked for one either, but if I did I'd start with word of mouth. Then I'd go to their shop and check it out.
I'd ask product questions, technique, you name it.
By the time I was done they probably wouldn't want my business :laughing:

Eldorado2k
11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
I've never looked for one either, but if I did I'd start with word of mouth. Then I'd go to their shop and check it out.
I'd ask product questions, technique, you name it.
By the time I was done they probably wouldn't want my business :laughing:

You’re the girl who removes the factory floormatts the day you drive it off the lot only to put them back in the day you return the car back from the lease... Knowing that even I wouldn’t take the job because there’s no way everything would be perfect enough for you![emoji23]lol.

DetailKitty
11-12-2019, 04:27 PM
You’re the girl who removes the factory floormatts the day you drive it off the lot only to put them back in the day you return the car back from the lease... Knowing that even I wouldn’t take the job because there’s no way everything would be perfect enough for you![emoji23]lol.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Eldorado2k
11-12-2019, 04:56 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 hack detailers show up at your house... You open the garage and tell em there it is boys, let me know when it’s ready.

They have a look around and 1 of them spots the factory floormatts wrapped in plastic hanging on the wall and he says to the other guy “hey check it out, are those floormatts from this car”? They realize they are.

Then 1 guy says “did you see she was walking around with a gun in a holster”? Other guy says “that wasn’t no freakin gun man, that looked more like a 2000 lumen LED flashlight. You know what those things are for don’t ya? They’re for finding swirls! Holy crap we only brought 2 wash mitts and the same bucket of soap we’ve been using since yesterday... We’re freakin screwed”! [emoji2962]

Lol.

DetailKitty
11-12-2019, 04:59 PM
2 hack detailers show up at your house... You open the garage and tell em there it is boys, let me know when it’s ready.

They have a look around and 1 of them spots the factory floormatts wrapped in plastic hanging on the wall and he says to the other guy “hey check it out, are those floormatts from this car”? They realize they are.

Then 1 guy says “did you see she was walking around with a gun in a holster”? Other guy says “that wasn’t no freakin gun man, that looked more like a 2000 lumen LED flashlight. You know what those things are for don’t ya? They’re for finding swirls! Holy crap we only brought 2 wash mitts and the same bucket of soap we’ve been using since yesterday... We’re freakin screwed”! [emoji2962]

Lol.

I like how they thought I had a gun in my holster... sounds more accurate ;)

FUNX650
11-12-2019, 05:44 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/19061A0A-9F9F-4198-B8E5-6DC38EC8127A.jpeg

Bob

Coatingsarecrack
11-13-2019, 01:31 AM
Looked for a detailer.... didn’t find one I trusted..... now I’m here doing it myself. Actually glad I did... kinda therapeutic and who coulda thought cleaning something would be my hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me Time
11-13-2019, 10:20 PM
I was brought up to never let anyone do anything that you can do. Anyone can detail a car to a certain level. Just know your limits and don't expect a "Show Car Finish". I was a member of this forum a few years before I ever posted my first thread or chimed in on one. There's a lot of information on here that can help you get started and almost everyone is super helpful. There is a ton of experience on here to help you with what you need to know or want to know. You don't have to start out with boutique brands when you first start. Meguiars and Mother's has a lot of good over the counter products to get you going. Then if it turns out it's something you enjoy, invest in better products and tools.

Kaban
11-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Just go by their shop and look at their work. That's all I'd need to be convinced. No sense in being a PITA customer and wasting people's time with boring questions "what soap do you use, what clay bar and polish do you use". At the end of the day, if the job is done right, who gives a crap what compound and polish was used as long as the end result is satisfactory.

DirtyDuty
11-13-2019, 11:13 PM
I haven't looked yet, but would like to find a good, honest detailer to do annual or bi annual details. I have yet to find one that is not just mobile and actually has a shop. The local car wash place has a space where they detail but I don't trust them. The biggest issue I've found with any automotive related service is that they never care about the vehicle as much as you do.

Billy Baldone
11-14-2019, 02:48 AM
What is the issue with mobile? As I am entering the mobile world full time in the spring, I have talked to a handful of detailers who had shops at one time, and now don't. Their reasoning seems to be the same, rent is really high, and having employees gets sticky. I offer either on sight, or pick up and drop off, that I do in my garage. I can assure you, my garage is a more sterile, if you will, place than some shops I have been in. I have also been in the shops that are like a frickin' ER. By being mobile without overhead, I can offer a better value for my customer, plus I am only concerned with one car at a time. For me it is a goal to acquire my IDA certification before I go live. Maybe see what IDA certified detailers are near you. At least you will know they have proper training

DirtyDuty
11-14-2019, 10:45 AM
What is the issue with mobile? As I am entering the mobile world full time in the spring, I have talked to a handful of detailers who had shops at one time, and now don't. Their reasoning seems to be the same, rent is really high, and having employees gets sticky. I offer either on sight, or pick up and drop off, that I do in my garage. I can assure you, my garage is a more sterile, if you will, place than some shops I have been in. I have also been in the shops that are like a frickin' ER. By being mobile without overhead, I can offer a better value for my customer, plus I am only concerned with one car at a time. For me it is a goal to acquire my IDA certification before I go live. Maybe see what IDA certified detailers are near you. At least you will know they have proper training

My only issue with mobile is the fact that I dont have the space at my house. What you've described sounds fine, having your garage space to do details is the same as a shop in my eyes, as long as it has room for a 21' truck. Many of the mobile detailers around here, cant offer anything other than the person's own driveway, garage, or on street. None of that works for me.