PDA

View Full Version : Question about automatic car wash

Pages : [1] 2

mrq0604
11-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were applied by hand?

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845. I was wondering whether I should even bother to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail my daily driver. I detailed my weekend car today, and while waiting for sealant and wax to cure on my weekend car, I decontaminated and "somewhat" clayed the daily driver. All I have to do is to apply the sealant and wax during next wash.

Thanks in advance

Buster906
11-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were applied by hand?

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845. I was wondering whether I should even bother to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail my daily driver. I detailed my weekend car today, and while waiting for sealant and wax to cure on my weekend car, I decontaminated and "somewhat" clayed the daily driver. All I have to do is to apply the sealant and wax during next wash.

Thanks in advanceI recommend you talk to the manager. Ask what chemicals are applied that strip. Also ask if they have wax available in the tunnel as you pass through

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mrq0604
11-10-2019, 11:30 PM
I recommend you talk to the manager. Ask what chemicals are applied that strip. Also ask if they have wax available in the tunnel as you pass through

Well, I did ask the manager before, but he had no clue. I even called Esso office (gas station near my house where the automatic car wash is located), but I couldn't get an answer. Both times, I straight up asked whether the soaps are close to detergents in terms of ph. But I believe those soaps are pretty harsh...

Yes, there is some sort of "coating" sprayed at the end of car wash tunnel.

There are 3 levels of car washes. I believe middle and top ones get the undercarriage wash, which is the primary reason for taking the daily driver to car wash during winter.

Rsurfer
11-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Brushesless maybe, touchless ok. Swirl-O-Matic a big NO!!!!

Buster906
11-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Well, I did ask the manager before, but he had no clue. I even called Esso office (gas station near my house where the automatic car wash is located), but I couldn't get an answer. Both times, I straight up asked whether the soaps are close to detergents in terms of ph. But I believe those soaps are pretty harsh...

Yes, there is some sort of "coating" sprayed at the end of car wash tunnel.

There are 3 levels of car washes. I believe middle and top ones get the undercarriage wash, which is the primary reason for taking the daily driver to car wash during winter.I do believe underbody attachments are sold at the two big home/hardware stores. Online as well

mrq0604
11-11-2019, 01:12 AM
I do believe underbody attachments are sold at the two big home/hardware stores. Online as well

Just checked the underbody washer. Nice tool.

But still gonna take this thing to auto car wash. Handwashing one car is already too much during cold winter season. Don't make me wash two cars out in the freezing weather!

mrq0604
11-11-2019, 01:15 AM
Brushesless maybe, touchless ok. Swirl-O-Matic a big NO!!!!

Will touchless not strip off wax, regardless of chemicals used in the tunnel? I always use touchless for this car.

Coatingsarecrack
11-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Most here say that strip washes have a hard time removing sealants.... don’t think a tunnel wash would be any harsher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrq0604
11-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Most here say that strip washes have a hard time removing sealants.... don’t think a tunnel wash would be any harsher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense. I detailed my weekend car, and the water still beaded after clay and IPA wipe... I hope the new layer of wax sticks until spring, although I'll drive it a couple of times a month or so.

gizzsdad
11-11-2019, 12:03 PM
In my local wash - the pre-soak applied is nasty. Doesn't strip, but degrades very fast. I try to limit it to 5-6 washes for the winter.

HAMBO
11-11-2019, 02:39 PM
The spray from a touchless car wash is typically on the paint for like 30 seconds (at least the one near me, which I use rarely). Not sure how much stripping it can do in that short a period?

My issue with touchless washes is the poor drying, which I find always leaves water spots.

FUNX650
11-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic
car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were
applied by hand?

•Whether they were applied by hand or by
machine...Waxes/Sealants will eventually
be degraded: by both environmental and
man-made contaminates; from car-washing
sessions (done at home, and/or at automatic
car wash facilities); whenever they experience
any “touching”...~Mike Phillips.

-This “touching” includes the vehicle being driven
in salted-conditions, which, IMO, is more degrading
to Waxes/Sealants than are most automatic car
wash’s chemicals.

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat
of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845.

I was wondering whether I should even bother
to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through
car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic
car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these
chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail
my daily driver.

•Definitely detail your daily driver (DD) for
the upcoming Winter!

-Even if it takes 10 or more trips through the
automatics...something is better than nothing.

-And, as it often happens: There will be at least
one day during the Winter months when the
weather will be nice enough to re-Wax/re-Seal
vehicles.

Well, I did ask the manager before, but he
had no clue. I even called Esso office (gas
station near my house where the automatic
car wash is located), but I couldn't get an
answer. Both times, I straight up asked
whether the soaps are close to detergents in
terms of ph. But I believe those soaps are
pretty harsh...

Yes, there is some sort of "coating" sprayed
at the end of car wash tunnel

•By Law:
-This commercial business must have the SDS
data sheets for each and every chemical that’s
used at that facility—including the gas station’s.

•Something to consider:
-Removing contaminates from a vehicle during
a car-washing session usually takes agitation
with some type of tool (sponge, mitt, MF-towel)

-There is very little, to no agitation involved during
(brushless) Automatics’ car-washing sessions.
Therefore, and in order to remove as much contam-
ination as possible: their chemicals’ harshness levels
may be adjusted accordingly.

There are 3 levels of car washes. I believe middle
and top ones get the undercarriage wash, which
is the primary reason for taking the daily driver
to car wash during winter.

Getting the road salt/brine/etc. off the vehicle’s
top-side panels is also a very good reason, IMO.

Bob

chet31
11-12-2019, 12:10 AM
I'm always interested in this kind of thing. Perfect chance for an experiment. Record the day you apply the Collinite, keep track of the number of washes, tell us if the car seems protected (beads water, etc.) in the Spring.

mrq0604
11-12-2019, 12:14 AM
I'm always interested in this kind of thing. Perfect chance for an experiment. Record the day you apply the Collinite, keep track of the number of washes, tell us if the car seems protected (beads water, etc.) in the Spring.

Ah. Will do. Please check back in March!

Markymapo
11-12-2019, 07:55 AM
An even better experiment would be to have one panel not subjected to washing after Collinite application. Then in March wash that panel n see how it beads. But this does not seem possible since it is going through a car wash.