PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels streaking

Pages : [1] 2

prin
11-07-2019, 11:20 PM
So, I have been using the Kirkland yellow fiber towels for a while. But on a few cars, we have been noticing that they are streaking the paint after we polish. These are with Brand New Towels!!!! So what do you guys suggest fro my polishing towels???

Rsurfer
11-08-2019, 12:50 AM
Did you wash them before using?

Billy Baldone
11-08-2019, 03:50 AM
They are a towel that most people on here use for everything besides paint. Try a higher quality towel

Coatingsarecrack
11-08-2019, 04:20 AM
Yeah I wouldn’t wipe my butt with them....... JK.

I agree though try a better quality towel...... I like Rag company 365’s for coating/wax/polish removal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markymapo
11-08-2019, 08:03 AM
I have used the Rag company for polish removal (wash them before you use them with Quality detergent meant for MF towels or you will have some lint issues). There are other MF towels on AGO that also work great. Costco towels are good for wiping dirty door jams and other dirty areas of the car,: they never see the outer surface of my cars. Just my opinion

fightnews
11-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Could be from using a polishing pad for to long too.

DasTurboWagen
11-08-2019, 09:07 AM
They are a towel that most people on here use for everything besides paint. Try a higher quality towel

I always use these on paint, including polishing and I've never had an issue. They are very good towels for the price.

fightnews
11-08-2019, 10:27 AM
I always use these on paint, including polishing and I've never had an issue. They are very good towels for the price.

I've never used them but I definietly won't mock them. I thought the 80/20 blend was the deciding factor on microfiber towels as far as softness. But now after trying just about every towel made Carpro has an 80/20 towel that is very good. I would have sworn it was 70/30 before I actually verified with a salesguy.

Then I have other very high grade towels that are 70/30 but supposedly a true 320 gsm. They are twice as thick as the rag companies 365gsm and closer to the 400's.

Then you have the weave pattern. All I know is I literally saw the 80/20 Bj's towels marr my paint when I first started detailing and figured out how to check. There are a lot of factors involved in a good towel.

Bobby B.
11-08-2019, 10:29 AM
I like to use the "Edgeless Polishing Cloths" for wiping off Compounds, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes. These towels work great!

Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth (https://www.autogeek.net/edgless-towel.html)

rlmccarty2000
11-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Try the CD scratch test with the Kirkland towels. If they won’t scratch a CD they won’t scratch your paint.

Bill D
11-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Another issue with towels is leaving behind lint trails. I had towels from BJ’s Wholesale Club that I had to demote to household use. Definitely don’t use them on glass and mirrors.

RZJZA80
11-08-2019, 11:13 PM
I've never used the Costco brand towels, but the Sam's Club towels are perfectly fine for every use on any car. I have a suspicion that the Costco brand is the same exact towel, but I've never compared them to confirm.

Bill D
11-08-2019, 11:25 PM
I’m guessing the BJ’s aren’t the same since they lint after prolonged use. I noticed lint on my dining room mirror today from them.

UncleDavy
11-09-2019, 08:23 AM
So, I have been using the Kirkland yellow fiber towels for a while. But on a few cars, we have been noticing that they are streaking the paint after we polish. These are with Brand New Towels!!!! So what do you guys suggest fro my polishing towels???

Those towels are only good for wheels, interiors and door jambs. I would not even use them on glass because they lint too much.

PaulMys
11-09-2019, 07:17 PM
How much money are you actually saving by buying box store MF's over quality ones?

For things that touch the paint, (be it washing, drying, polish/wax removal, etc.) why go the cheap route?

Quality MF products will last you for years when properly taken care of.

The price difference for that amount of time/use is well worth it for me. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that you are using the best available.

JMO