PDA

View Full Version : udm -vs- pc

StephenK
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
now that the UDM been out for awhile and the "bugs" should be worked out as well as people have been able to get comfortable with it i was wondering which is better UDM or PC? can some please list pro's and con's of both machines?

ScottB
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I have both, and still reach for PC. Its like an old and trusted friend. Do want a Flex however !

shuskan3
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
UDM, hands down! I have both and the PC just sits on the back of the shelf. If you are wanting to do any paint correction go for the UDM...

StephenK
03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
UDM, hands down! I have both and the PC just sits on the back of the shelf. If you are wanting to do any paint correction go for the UDM...

i have a dewalt 849 for correction. i am just haveing a heck of time finishing down with it. so i figured going with a DA will be just the ticket i need to get swirl free results. maybe i am just to critical of myself. cause the body shop and customers are happy with the finish i get on fresh paint and on cars that just need to have spots buffed out. but i still see a few swirls. and it just irritates me that i know they are there.

wytstang
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
The big difference is really speed 6 (faster/stronger) and you can actually lean into the UDM and it won't bog down. I prefer the power of the UDM over the PC but I'm also a weekend warrior and not a pro. So my experience is limited with both. I may also 'trade' in my UDM for a Flex due to it's features that appeal to me.
On the flip side the PC is a work horse that you don't hear of failing much at all. You have a machine that has proven itself 10 fold. UDM has had failures but were taken care of by the manufacturer. The UDM also has a shorter cable if that matters. All I can think of.

m4gician
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
The big difference is really speed 6 (faster/stronger) and you can actually lean into the UDM and it won't bog down. I prefer the power of the UDM over the PC but I'm also a weekend warrior and not a pro. So my experience is limited with both. I may also 'trade' in my UDM for a Flex due to it's features that appeal to me.
On the flip side the PC is a work horse that you don't hear of failing much at all. You have a machine that has proven itself 10 fold. UDM has had failures but were taken care of by the manufacturer. The UDM also has a shorter cable if that matters. All I can think of.

Keep the UDM for applying cleaner wax, sealants, and small jobs. Use a rotary or a flex3401 for heavier correction.

Tragu
03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I have a udm and a flex I have used a pc. Between the udm and the pc go for a udm but I will review the flex when I use it.

rwisejr
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a udm and a flex I have used a pc. Between the udm and the pc go for a udm but I will review the flex when I use it.

Trust me you will love it when you use it. I finally put mine through its paces today and that flex is one sweet machine. I also have a pc and a Udm plus a rotary. Udm against a pc a select UDM more power.

Carbon Blue
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Udm!

StephenK
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
well thanks for all your imput. i decided to go with the PC. reason being is it has proven itself to be reliable and get the job done. UDM is still to new and there are still bugs that need to be worked out.

ricka
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
i did the same thing--reliability. the pc never seems to have issues. yeah, it might be louder and rough around the edges but seems like a great polisher to learn on. especially since i'll only polish the family cars.

i am looking forward to using a rotary someday. always trying to stretch the limits...

StephenK
03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
i did the same thing--reliability. the pc never seems to have issues. yeah, it might be louder and rough around the edges but seems like a great polisher to learn on. especially since i'll only polish the family cars.

i am looking forward to using a rotary someday. always trying to stretch the limits...
i got rotary for the correction just got PC to get that flawless finish. and my PC should be here tomorrow

ricka
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
mine too. my audi has hardly any defects and its silver metallic so it only shows if i REALLY look hard for them. but us ocd detailers always find defects the normal person would never find. ah, the curse we carry...

Mike T
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
mine too. my audi has hardly any defects and its silver metallic so it only shows if i REALLY look hard for them. but us ocd detailers always find defects the normal person would never find. ah, the curse we carry...

It sure is. I can fool people into thinking the finish is perfect, but in my eyes its a cesspool of imperfections :D