PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a black car, that crazy?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

HAMBO
11-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Hi gang,

I'm thinking about getting my next car in black. I'll note I also don't have a garage, so this will be parked outside in my driveway, likely driven 3-4 days per week (and parked inside my office building most of those days during the day).

From the perspective of other people out there who notice light swirl marks, dirt, film, etc., is getting a car in black just a constant challenge? Any particular tips to maintaining the paint (beyond the usual best practices)?

Thanks!

HAMBO

Klasse Act
11-04-2019, 03:05 PM
What type of paint, metallic of straight black? What kind of car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HAMBO
11-04-2019, 03:13 PM
I'm thinking about placing a pre-order for the new Corvette :) Color listing on the Chevy site is just "black". Other color options are listed as Metallic, so I assume it's just a standard black?

Klasse Act
11-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Hmmm, not sure but having recently had a metallic black car that I daily drove year round it wasn't that bad but then again that's me, I stayed ontop of it because I only know one way[emoji876]

Leon Sidursky
11-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Really just comes down to how anal you are. You really have to stay on top of it. Static electricity sucks all of the pollen in the air right to you panels like a magnet in th spring and even the slightest film shows. But man, it sure does look the best when it’s clean.

Bobby B.
11-04-2019, 03:40 PM
I love Black vehicles, but I don't think I could own another one. Black paint is a full time job. It would drive me crazy to see the dirt, pollen, swirl marks, bird etchings, rock chips, etc... I think my next vehicle will either be Silver or White again.

Leon Sidursky
11-04-2019, 03:41 PM
I love Black vehicles, but I don't think I could own another one. Black paint is a full time job. It would drive me crazy to see the dirt, pollen, swirl marks, bird etchings, rock chips, etc... I think my next vehicle will either be Silver or White again.

I love silver in terms of cleanliness but it’s a bit underwhelming after a 5 hour correction lol

Jayfro
11-04-2019, 03:48 PM
All depends if you very particular/anal about how your car looks from day to day! Black looks incredible clean...but keeping a black car clean is work! I just bought my first black car about 6-8 months and I wasn't "that person" that was a neat freak but I am now and i can truly tell you I'm "that person" now!! My wife and daughter may have an intervention planned for me very soon too since I'm always doing something to it...and it's kept in the garage in the evenings.

If you enjoy mowing your lawn, then standing back from it when you finished and admiring your work, then a black car isn't out of the questions. If you mow your yard and go inside right after, not seeing if you missed a spot or two when you mowed or edged, then maybe start thinking about another color!

I will say, once you use quality products such as a coating, wax, sealant that has great self cleaning ability then it's not a TON of work but instead a lot of work!!

Congrats on the new Vette, love the new styling!!

bcgreen
11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I owned a non metallic black G35 that I coated with Opti-coat. It was wonderful. I kept on top of it because I love detailing cars and this car didn't need anything once I washed it, but drive it.
It was such a piece of eye candy and after 5 yrs. most everybody couldn't tell it wasn't new.

acuRAS82
11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I have a straight Brilliant Black and a Black Sapphire Metallic. No regrets. I keep on top of them though but it’s worth it.

I also have a silver Acura, but as Leon mentioned, it can be underwhelming for those that really do like spending time keeping their cars looking nice.

Desertnate
11-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, not sure but having recently had a metallic black car that I daily drove year round it wasn't that bad but then again that's me, I stayed ontop of it because I only know one way[emoji876]

Staying on top of things and being careful is the key to keeping a black car looking good. It really isn't that hard.

I'm now on my second black metallic car. Metallic paint will hide a few sins, but not many.

Adjusting my wash techniques and tools made the biggest improvement in keeping my black cars looking good for a long time. If you use only clean, soft media to wash and dry the car and pay attention to not scrub the surface, you'll go a long way to preserving the look of the paint and keeping it swirl free. Also, keeping the paint well protected is a huge help as well. I've found that keeping the car sealed or coated often keeps the car cleaner over time and makes washing much easier as well.

Klasse Act
11-04-2019, 04:07 PM
To be the safest would be foaming a dusty car, rinsing and using something like a Master Blaster...just for maintenance cleanings[emoji362]

camaro2ssblack
11-04-2019, 05:53 PM
I owned a black SS Camaro for 4 years and I will never do it again. In my opinion, the OCD obsession completely overtakes the joy of driving and enjoying the car. I spent every moment worrying about the dust, pollen and swirl marks. I was sad to sell the car but I am a much happier person without it, lol.

Bill D
11-04-2019, 05:58 PM
I still have a black car that basically just sits in the garage. Ownership can indeed be unenjoyable

custmsprty
11-04-2019, 06:21 PM
If you have 10-15 hours a week to keep it clean, go for it! :autowash::buffing::autowash::cry::doh::surrender: