PDA

View Full Version : Couple of random questions......

YankeeFan
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Thought of these as I was cleaning the car this past Saturday, great day here in Philly.

1. Saw a post recently where a QDer+ was used when drying a car. Was going to do that but stopped when I thought the QDer could ruin the Guzzler as it would prevent it from absorbing the water either short term or long term, meaning even after washing. What do you think?

2. This is probably more a statement than a question but it's amazing how I can never stop window streaking. Tried Stoner's, Surf City, etc. in cool weather, hot waether, in the shade, in the sun, first a wet MF then going over it with a dry cloth, multiple cloths for the measly 6 windows.....on and on. I drive East in the morning so when I hit that sun probabaly 90-95% looks good but the other areas have streaks and I wash the car and windows religiously every weekend especially this year since the Winter was so mild here.

3. Those that use Menzerna polishes, have you found that you needed to buy all 3 - SIP, Nano and 085RD? Right now I only have Nano as I have pretty light swirls but concerned I may need SIP in some areas and then 085Rd to get a great gloss.

4. When drying I always open the 4 doors to wipe down as much as I can but is there a good tool that will allow you to effectively wipe clean all the nooks and crannies of a door and it's hinges? Got dust and grease, etc. that I just can't get to.

5. Anyone use AA Tire Foam? Strange, as the instructions read to spray the entire tire and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. It never mentions to wipe it afterwards and what I found was the foam changes to liquid and starts dripping on the driveway and probably near the brakes. Not sure how to use this stuff effectively????

Anyway, I'm done.....getting excited for the Spring as I can't wait to Flex then try all the new washing and drying techniques I learned from you guys this past Winter. Gotta see if the techniques really work with reducing swirls to a bare minimum.

Howard

ScottB
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
1. The qd'er adds additional lubrication to avoid swirls. It will get into the Guzzler, but mine are fine after multiple uses. I use Microrestore to clean them.

2. I found that being outside of direct sunlight, using a glass WW MF towel, and one of three sprays works wonders. Sprayway, Stoners, and DP.

3. 106FF (Nano) is pretty versatile. I would suggest adding a couple when wanted, not necessarily needed. SIP, FP are two nice additions.

4. Wife !!

5. Junk, most foams are. They will run all over wheels, tires, and driveway. They dont work all that great, and I would only use in wheelwells as absolutely needed.

Dust2Glory
03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Thought of these as I was cleaning the car this past Saturday, great day here in Philly.

1. Saw a post recently where a QDer+ was used when drying a car. Was going to do that but stopped when I thought the QDer could ruin the Guzzler as it would prevent it from absorbing the water either short term or long term, meaning even after washing. What do you think?
I've done it on a couple of cars and my guzzlers have been fine. I use Chemical Guys Microfiber wash... throw in some APC and Viniger. It'll be all good

2. This is probably more a statement than a question but it's amazing how I can never stop window streaking. Tried Stoner's, Surf City, etc. in cool weather, hot waether, in the shade, in the sun, first a wet MF then going over it with a dry cloth, multiple cloths for the measly 6 windows.....on and on. I drive East in the morning so when I hit that sun probabaly 90-95% looks good but the other areas have streaks and I wash the car and windows religiously every weekend especially this year since the Winter was so mild here.

On windows you need to have dedicated Cobra WW towels, that are washed by themselves, dried by themselves... no fabric softner or dyer sheets. If it's hot spray the towel first, then flip to dry side to buff. if it's hot run the A/C... if there is still a little haze, buff with dry mf

3. Those that use Menzerna polishes, have you found that you needed to buy all 3 - SIP, Nano and 085RD? Right now I only have Nano as I have pretty light swirls but concerned I may need SIP in some areas and then 085Rd to get a great gloss.
I am selling my 85rd... some people don't use 106 and go from SIP to 85rd, different strokes for different folks. 106ff is more expensive, but does have more correcting power. Use 106 with a white pad, then follow up with a green or black pad

4. When drying I always open the 4 doors to wipe down as much as I can but is there a good tool that will allow you to effectively wipe clean all the nooks and crannies of a door and it's hinges? Got dust and grease, etc. that I just can't get to.
Use the end of a brush with a mf wrapped around it to get in there good, when I am doing my doors, i will open the front door but leave the back door closed, then reach in the back door to clean the hinges, hope that makes sense
5. Anyone use AA Tire Foam? Strange, as the instructions read to spray the entire tire and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. It never mentions to wipe it afterwards and what I found was the foam changes to liquid and starts dripping on the driveway and probably near the brakes. Not sure how to use this stuff effectively????
I only use AA tire foam to dress wheel wells!!! A good dressing is DP tire gel, Optimum tire gel

Anyway, I'm done.....getting excited for the Spring as I can't wait to Flex then try all the new washing and drying techniques I learned from you guys this past Winter. Gotta see if the techniques really work with reducing swirls to a bare minimum.

Howard

hope that helps