PDA

View Full Version : Choices...

Pages : [1] 2

Rapidity
07-14-2006, 02:47 PM
So I am putting together my order for autogeek and I have a few more questions... but I should give a little background first about what I am trying to do... Sorry it's a book.

I own a 01 navy blue metallic corvette for those who don't know the color, it is a very dark blue with lots of metallic. The car has some water spots on the hood and rear deck lid. Those panels also have most if not all of the swirls on the car as well. In bright direct sunlight you can really see they are covered in swirls. Now none of these are really visable more than 3 or 4 feet from the car, but they bother me. :mad: The car also has a few places that are scratched or swirled deeper but they usually disappear when I wax the car with NXT. Honestly the NXT really hides most eveything except the water spots.

Of course NXT last about 5 mins here in Eastern NC with all the rain we have off and on. So the car goes back to not looking anywhere near as good fairly quickly, even after a wash and spray down with quick detail.

I was nearly talked into moving to Rejex for longevity by the corvetteforum guys, but I followed killrwheels over here and saw that Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant seems to be one of the forum favorites. Will the wolfgang provide me with the durability I am looking for? If not what will?

I've pretty much decided on the edge 2000 DA pads and poorboy's 2.5 & 1. I'm not sure which edge pads I need... I'm thinking Green, Orange, and Blue should be all I 'really' need? Will the green pad be harsh enough when used with 2.5 to get the water spots off the hood? If not, I am thinking of a future order of the yellow pad and hyper compound that was mentioned in the PB SSR3 thread.

Questions...
1) What can I use that will look good, and last a while. It needs to be able to be brought back to life with a wash and quick detail. I just don't have time to wax my car as often as I would like to do it. Maybe once a month or so. But I really want my car to look good all the time. I DD the vette usually. Is WG sealant the answer?

2) Which edge pads do I really need to fix my paint problems and contiune using the 7424 when applying whatever you suggested above. I'd like to apply with the 7424 and remove with a MF.

3) Does what I plan on ordering sound about right for what I want?
SSR1
SSR2.5
Edge 2000 pads for 7424 (green, orange, blue)
WG sealant

scooterguitar
07-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I say we just let Killr cover this one!

Neothin
07-14-2006, 02:57 PM
ya, i'm feeling lazy. besides, it's a vette. let the vette guy answer the questions about vette's :P

Excessive Detail
07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
So I am putting together my order for autogeek and I have a few more questions... but I should give a little background first about what I am trying to do... Sorry it's a book.

I own a 01 navy blue metallic corvette for those who don't know the color, it is a very dark blue with lots of metallic. The car has some water spots on the hood and rear deck lid. Those panels also have most if not all of the swirls on the car as well. In bright direct sunlight you can really see they are covered in swirls. Now none of these are really visable more than 3 or 4 feet from the car, but they bother me. :mad: The car also has a few places that are scratched or swirled deeper but they usually disappear when I wax the car with NXT. Honestly the NXT really hides most eveything except the water spots.

Of course NXT last about 5 mins here in Eastern NC with all the rain we have off and on. So the car goes back to not looking anywhere near as good fairly quickly, even after a wash and spray down with quick detail.

I was nearly talked into moving to Rejex for longevity by the corvetteforum guys, but I followed killrwheels over here and saw that Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant seems to be one of the forum favorites. Will the wolfgang provide me with the durability I am looking for? If not what will?

I've pretty much decided on the edge 2000 DA pads and poorboy's 2.5 & 1. I'm not sure which edge pads I need... I'm thinking Green, Orange, and Blue should be all I 'really' need? Will the green pad be harsh enough when used with 2.5 to get the water spots off the hood? If not, I am thinking of a future order of the yellow pad and hyper compound that was mentioned in the PB SSR3 thread.

Questions...
1) What can I use that will look good, and last a while. It needs to be able to be brought back to life with a wash and quick detail. I just don't have time to wax my car as often as I would like to do it. Maybe once a month or so. But I really want my car to look good all the time. I DD the vette usually. Is WG sealant the answer?

2) Which edge pads do I really need to fix my paint problems and contiune using the 7424 when applying whatever you suggested above. I'd like to apply with the 7424 and remove with a MF.

SSR1
SSR2.5
WG sealant

SSr 2.5 and ssr 1 are a perfect combo, I would get the edge pad kit, its only like 99.00 and it come with all the pads, xm pad conditioner and cleaner, and two cobra mf, I got it and I love it. WG is also a very could choice, I'd give klasse, this will give the finish a very durable finish, a try under the wg, then get a good paste like pb natty's blue to finish it off, for qd I like megs final inspection or you could use pinn. or wg, or PB qds. I'd probably go with the orange pad for swirl removal, but no more than the green pad.

ScottB
07-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Wolfgang looks great on metallics, but it is not the most durable sealant out there. As said, the SSR twins 2.5 and 1.0 from Poorboys are easy to use and should help with the swirls and watermarks. I would seriously consider Poorboys EX-P as the sealant. Top with a carnuaba or Poorboys Spray/Gloss to amp up the gloss/wetness.

Carnuabas --- 4 weeks protection
Wolfgang --- 6-7 weeks protection
EX-P --- around 8 weeks protection
Rejex --- high solvent smell, likely durable due to additional curing agents

RPM06
07-15-2006, 01:11 AM

Questions...

SSR1
SSR2.5
WG sealant

I helped a buddy detail his C5 several weeks ago. He had light swirls and a water spots. After a wash and clay we used XMT #2 with a Orange LC pad, and XMT #1 with a white LC pad. I then topped with WG deep gloss paint sealant and the next day added some souveran. It was a thing of beauty. I wish I had my camera with me.

Personally I have a monty red and here is my last combo:
After wash and clay....XMT #1, XMT Glaze, topped with Souveran paste. The car looks dripping wet!
:cheers:

3Dog
07-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with RPM. I am surprised there is not a WHOLE LOT more chatter about XMT. The Glaze and Souveran is stunning on white also.

bluzman
07-15-2006, 10:52 AM
For durabilty Klasse SG is the way to go! Id put 2 or 3 coats of that on!

supercharged
07-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Wolfgang looks great on metallics, but it is not the most durable sealant out there. As said, the SSR twins 2.5 and 1.0 from Poorboys are easy to use and should help with the swirls and watermarks. I would seriously consider Poorboys EX-P as the sealant. Top with a carnuaba or Poorboys Spray/Gloss to amp up the gloss/wetness.

I wonder why Wolfgang claims that their sealant will last 5-6 months then?

ScottB
07-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I wonder why Wolfgang claims that their sealant will last 5-6 months then?

All manufacturers seem to claim that , and I dont know of any single test to confirm it. What I can tell you is in the high Florida heat and humidity you will see the product fall off after 6-7 weeks. Now using the spray sealant every couple of weeks will likely help, but I gotta call it like I've seen it.

dengood1
07-15-2006, 04:09 PM

Killr, what about DP's sealant? How long? Thanks.

ScottB
07-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Killr, what about DP's sealant? How long? Thanks.

My intial and only use of Shield Shine showed amazing durability, pretty much on par with EX-P. What I like most about SS is that it really takes on a much glossier finish after curing for several hours in the sun. The finishing spritz is nice also ... but product is a little harder to use than some gloss sprays. ( I might have used to much)

joe.p
07-15-2006, 05:43 PM
All manufacturers seem to claim that , and I dont know of any single test to confirm it. What I can tell you is in the high Florida heat and humidity you will see the product fall off after 6-7 weeks. Now using the spray sealant every couple of weeks will likely help, but I gotta call it like I've seen it.
There goes another bonus.

killer in my gallery is a pic of a red VW i polished in sept or oct of last year to this day the lady has not washed her car and it looks pretty darn good. Maybe i can take some pics she lives down the street. is beading the only way to check its durability..

Surfer
07-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I have EX-P and I'm very impressed with it's durability and looks. Obviously I have my wax topping it, but on the roof of my suv I have two thin coats done back in April and it's still works great, much, much better durablity then when I tried NXT for my roof. Touch it up with QD or Poorboys QW+ once in awhile. Going to pry strip down all soon and start over.

GearHead_1
07-15-2006, 07:37 PM
All manufacturers seem to claim that , and I dont know of any single test to confirm it.

... but the dealer said it would last 5 years. :D