PDA

View Full Version : Car covers

Coopers ST
10-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Not sure if this really belongs here, but I couldn’t find a place that mentions them.
I have never been a big fan of covers. I think anything that touches the paint is risking swirls and scratches. My 91 Miata with single stage paint will be in the garage all winter, it won’t be driven in bad weather, or be wet. I am looking for a cover that will keep dust off it, and protect it from minor bumps, walking by, that kind of thing. Has technology in fabrics changed where they don’t scratch, and give a bit of protection? What do you guys recommend in the line of covers?

thanks

FUNX650
10-26-2019, 10:04 PM
First:
I use oversized flannel/fleece blankets
from American Blankets (made in Mass.)

Then:
I use plastic “drop-cloths” to cover the
blankets’ horizontal surfaces. Keeps
~99.99% of dust from getting through.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/A79483E1-7569-4E9F-9F05-2161B12228DC.jpeg

”Our big fleece blankets are sure to meet
all your big blanket needs. If our extra-large
king size fleece blanket isn’t enough blanket
for you, just give us a call, and we’ll custom
make any size blanket you need. It’s only the
biggest and best fleece bed blanket if it’s big
enough for you.

And we don’t stop at big, custom made blankets.
We’ll make any kind of custom blanket you like:
Multiple color blankets, specific thread or stitching
colors or hem requests.

One customer even asked for an extra-large, soft
blanket to use as a car cover for his antique car.”

Bob

LikeABauce302
10-26-2019, 11:13 PM
I like the covercraft form-fit covers. They are super soft and thick enough to protect from minor dings and scratches.

https://i.imgur.com/rfPiudy.jpg

MarkD51
10-27-2019, 05:59 AM
Some lesser car cover companies might sell you a cover that supposedly fits, but be careful, some might be so ill fitting, you'll likely be unhappy that you bought it. The Covercraft Covers are generally custom fit, and there's a myriad of cover types to select from.

Where you decide to buy it, sometimes Autogeek will run sales with no exclusions, and that's the time to bite, and get a decent discount for a Covercraft.

Since you choose an indoor cover, these will be lesser in cost. But keep in mind they usually will not be waterproof, or should I say "Highly water resistant".

For the Miata, all form fitted covers will be relatively small in size and weight, meaning that you should be able to periodically wash the cover in a standard washing machine without a problem. But still, check each model as to what drying recommendations are. There are some that should not be tumble dried in a dryer, at least not on a warm setting, and the preferred method is air drying. This could possibly pose a problem for you?

Generally, cotton duck will be the least expensive, but will likely be heavier in weight than say a nylon cover. Some nylon covers have the advantage of being very light, compact, easier to perhaps clean but might also be of a thinner material, and thus won't offer you the "cushion" in a cover that you seek.

Many of the more expensive covers are often laminates. Meaning they are materials that have a sandwich of different types of materials, offering a number of qualities for protection.

If this helps you any, you can contact Covercraft direct first, and ask them to send you sample swatches of their cover's materials to examine. They'll send you all of the materials they use free of charge, mailed at no cost to you. This might help you better decide what type of cover material you like best and will suit your personal needs.

MarkD51
10-27-2019, 06:10 AM
The worries and considerations of a car cover scratching-marring the paint are basically two-fold.

How carefully you install and remove it, and how clean it is. Of course nobody wisely places a car cover over a dirty vehicle.

Usually rolling, or folding up a cover and then lifting the cover off without any type of dragging-sliding across the vehicle is best. Know by when removing and storing which way the cover must be placed upon the vehicle again (The roof), and reverse the removal process, by un-rolling or un-folding the cover onto the vehicle.

Hope this makes sense.

What will cause any cover to mar the paint, is as one example, an outdoor cover, and high winds making the cover billow and beat the paint. This shouldn't be a problem for you since the vehicle will be garaged.

MarkD51
10-27-2019, 06:29 AM
Yes, the least expensive way to cover a vehicle could be blankets or quilts. Gone are the days where you're going to find a decent long lasting car cover for $49.99. Thrift Shops often have such blankets for very little money. Again, the Miata should not be too difficult to cover in some makeshift way.

The hardest areas to cover will most likely be the sides.