PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ford Ranger Headlight Restoration

lovenhim
10-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Hello everyone. I have a 2011 Ford Ranger with headlights that need a touch up. They are fine except for their top edge near the hood. How do I know if they are factory coated or simply untreated plastic? Is this a case where less is more,, meaning start with a compound and then lightly sand if the compiund is not aggressive enough?

TTQ B4U
10-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Pics of what you're starting with?

MarkD51
10-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Yes, I'll agree with that analogy, that less is more for headlights.

Your previous question leads me to believe you didn't buy the vehicle new. You can lightly touch them up with a light compound, possibly by hand at first? Then put on a sealant.

If such quickly returns, you can then pretty much figure the UV coatings on the Lenses might be compromised.

That in that case, the next time you have to clean them up, you may need to resort to a more specialized and more durable Plastic Coating so that clouding-hazing doesn't quickly return.

lovenhim
10-26-2019, 03:00 PM
I am back. I followed the advice in Mike’s video on this forum. I was able to take compound and a medium pad, then polish on a light pad, then wax on a foam pad and restore the headlights. They were cloudy but not discolored. Now they are clear and smooth.

PaulMys
10-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Nice work. :)

lovenhim
10-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much. I could not have done it without the great folks from the forum.