PDA

View Full Version : Winter prep and protection?

soapboxpreacher
10-26-2019, 08:25 AM
What’s your prep for winter and what do you like for protection. Last year I did 845 which really wasn’t the right choice for Chicago. Lots of salt, lots of extreme cold and of course lots of road crap and crud. Let me know what you guys have found to be successful for winter protection.

howardm4
10-26-2019, 09:02 AM
You may want to look at Sonax PNS (Polymer Net Shield) w/ intermittent topping w/ their BSD product.

I've also used Collinite 476/915 and am (this year) trying GTechniq C2V3 on my GFs SU.

Markymapo
10-26-2019, 09:03 AM
My wife’s car had GtechEXO ceramic (prep according to manufacturers instruction) on for last winter and doing the same for this winter(held up well). F150 truck has Collinite 476 on it this winter (last winter had 845 on it n it was just ok).

FUNX650
10-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Just as during the Spring, Summer, and
Fall seasons...Finish Kare 1000P also does
the job for me during Wintertime.

But that’s in the S.W. corridor of Ohio.
Chicago? YMMV. :)

Bob

vobro
10-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Before coatings I've tried numerous sealants and they just don't last as well. The best 2 I tried were FK1000P and PNS, think the key to these sealants is to clean often and if I had the chance to reapply in January. The concoction of brine and salt has certainly been strengthened in our area, it's almost to the point I don't let it bother me anymore because it'll drive me insane. Cleaning often is the key for me

soapboxpreacher
10-26-2019, 03:11 PM
I hear that 476 is not good to use on Soft Paint finishes and tough to work with. Marring is typically according to many in regards to soft finishes. I would shy away from it if I was to put it on my tesla...anything else...maybe. I am not sure how Hi-Temp/FK1000P, Seems like PNS might me the ticket but want to see if Hi-Temp is good on soft finishes as the durability is awesome!

Markymapo
10-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Sorry guys but go ceramic if you can, just personal experience . Seems to have the best longevity ( I hate to admit it since only one of my 4 vehicles is ceramic coated). I have acquired to many other non ceramic sealants, waxes and don’t want to toss them out ( I still like to use them but requires every 4 months of application, which is fun to do).

soapboxpreacher
10-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Mark how hard is it to do ceramic? And which one do you like. I have a mountain of "Great" waxes and sealant but would trade them for something that last and looks good all the time. Whats the downfall to ceramic?

FUNX650
10-26-2019, 09:17 PM
I hear that 476 is not good to use on
Soft Paint finishes and tough to work with.

Marring is typically according to many in
regards to soft finishes. I would shy away
from it if I was to put it on my tesla...
anything else...maybe.

I am not sure how Hi-Temp/FK1000P,
Seems like PNS might me the ticket
but want to see if Hi-Temp is good on
soft finishes as the durability is awesome!
Unless the vehicle; the tin of LSP product; the
applicators; or the environment surrounding the
detailing area is contaminated in some way, form,
or fashion...I don’t see where a Finishing Sealant
(such as 476, FK1000P, PNS) could possibly introduce
any marring to a so-called “soft” paint finish.

•Then again:
-I suppose a person could approach the last
step process (LSP) in some garish, haphazard,
and uncaring manner. But that’s not something
AGO folks would ever do. Amiright?

Bob

Markymapo
10-26-2019, 09:22 PM
I took one of Mike Phillips classes so it wasn’t hard at all after learning from him. Now it’s a breeze. I have used only 2 ceramic products (GtechEXO and Blackfire): it’s all in the prep work and you need a garage for application n overnight drying)(supposedly you don’t want dew settling on it for about 6 hours or so). Overall not hard to apply