PDA

View Full Version : Dirt on headliner?

VicVinegar
10-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Looking for some advice to remove dirt from a headliner. Loaded the car up with sod and while I thought I was careful not to load it too high, I apparently hit the roof in a couple spots.

I'd tackle it with an APC or something but am concerned I would just make mud and create a bigger stain. Is an extractor what I need here? First I'll just brush it when dry and see how much comes out. Any experience would be appreciated.

IH8SPM
10-26-2019, 09:50 AM
I've used a Microfiber towel with some apc with great results everytime however the one time I used an extractor I ended have to reglue the headliner. Luckily it was my own vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

vobro
10-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Headliners need to be attaced very carefully,it's very easy for the glue to loosen or even stretch the material. 1st I'd try to lightly spray with an apc them use a damp cloth to soak up the dirt

ducksfan
10-26-2019, 01:08 PM
You don't want to spread the dirt or set it into the fabric. Work outside of the dirt, into the dirt. After you semi-lightly knock off as much as you can with a microfiber (Once again working into the dirt so you don't spread it.), I would work it with a horsehair brush ( If you don't have one of these, do you have a shoe brush?). Once again take the brush action into the stain.

As a first wet assault, I would tamp using a tamper ( or a brush if that's all you have - preferably something like this TUF SHINE Tire Brush (https://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-brush.html)). I would lightly dampen (probably with a sprayer) a doubled over white cotton cloth. Spray in the center, leaving the outer parts of the cloth dry (you want a fade). Place the cloth on the stain and tamp.

That should get a lot of it. Use a microfiber to lightly blot the remainder out.

Make sure you use a quality cleaner.

Note: This is all based on the assumption that you don't have a steamer. I do and would use it for the blot step and if the stain was light enough, in place of the tamp step.

FUNX650
10-26-2019, 05:38 PM
You put sod inside the car?

{And all this time I thought
that it goes on the outside. :doh: }

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/0F4E4C55-2D91-4755-9BEB-537183083120.jpeg

Bob

57Rambler
10-26-2019, 05:45 PM
{And all this time I thought
that it goes on the outside. :doh: }

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/0F4E4C55-2D91-4755-9BEB-537183083120.jpeg

Bob

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia ...

PaulMys
10-26-2019, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure how many AGO members (re: OCD) would load their rides up with sod.

You sir, need a truck.

Mgavin1985
10-26-2019, 07:42 PM
I had a horrible experience with headliner I would clean it then when it was drying it called wicking when the the action of natural slow drying bring the grim from with in to the tip of the fibers again. I clean this whole headliner 3 times and every time when I finished it was clean as a whistle but after drying dirt appeared again. I went down the rabbit hole figuring reading about wicking and professional carpet cleaning products and methods. I found this product it was a special polymer that made the fibers slippery so when drying the dirt could be pulled up or down the strand of fiber. Only problem was the car had to go back the next day. The third time I cleaned it I finished by misting pretty strong mixture of onr on headliner the rubbed it in with brush and I have been doing that on every detail since it also helps to balance ph.

Loading the interior of a car up sod LMAO

Eldorado2k
10-28-2019, 12:15 PM
My method for cleaning headliner, and the only way I壇 recommend to do it is to use Folex.
I would never use a steamer or extractor. Nor do you really want to be scrubbing with anything for as long as it would take to get results..

Start with your dry prep/cleaning 1st i.e. vacuuming/dry brushing, then spray Folex @full strength and simply follow the directions which tell you to spray, then lightly and quikly work the product into the fabric with your hand [I always wear nitrile gloves] and without letting the product dwell simply wipe/mop up the dirt/stain with a clean absorbent towel [cotton terry or microfiber. Whichever you prefer. I go with cotton terry 95% of the time] I guarantee you it値l do a better job than a steamer would ever do without introducing the unnecessary heat and moisture.

As long as you follow the directions on the label it値l work just like it says.. The most important thing is that you never ever scrub Folex with a brush.

RZJZA80
10-28-2019, 12:37 PM
My method for cleaning headliner, and the only way I壇 recommend to do it is to use Folex.
I would never use a steamer or extractor. Nor do you really want to be scrubbing with anything for as long as it would take to get results..

Start with your dry prep/cleaning 1st i.e. vacuuming/dry brushing, then spray Folex @full strength and simply follow the directions which tell you to spray, then lightly and quikly work the product into the fabric with your hand [I always wear nitrile gloves] and without letting the product dwell simply wipe/mop up the dirt/stain with a clean absorbent towel [cotton terry or microfiber. Whichever you prefer. I go with cotton terry 95% of the time] I guarantee you it値l do a better job than a steamer would ever do without introducing the unnecessary heat and moisture.

As long as you follow the directions on the label it値l work just like it says.. The most important thing is that you never ever scrub Folex with a brush.

Yup, was about to also say Folex, it's amazing and easy to use.

BTW it's only found at Home Depot from what I've seen.