PDA

View Full Version : What the heck did the dealer spray on my car

Pages : [1] 2 3

mrmarkmac
10-22-2019, 04:48 PM
I had my mustang into the dealer for a few mechanical items and they had it a week. I told them not to wash it, and from the look of it, they did not. It was clean when I dropped it off, and I know they had it parked outside and there were rain spots.

I washed it after getting it home, using normal routine.
Spray down.
Spray foam with reset.
Rinse.
two bucket method with reset.
rinse
Pat dry with PFM
after dry, I went to start applying Merlin Elixer and that’s when everything went downhill.

paint is (or was) perfect as I did polish and 2xCQUK and Gliss when brand new. Have been using Merlin for quick detail and always looks amazing.

After this wash, water beaded as normal. Very little water to pat dry, and car looked great. However when I sprayed elixer and wiped, it was pulling hard and leaving hundreds of micro dots. when I lightly ran the back of my hand across the paint I almost fell over, as it feels like grit, or a dirty car before clay. It’s weird as I can’t see anything on the paint until I wipe with elixer. and it’s on the hood, roof, trunk and top of doors/sides. When I run my hand along the bottom rocker portions of the door, they are glass smooth as expected, and as the rest of the car was when I dropped it off.

today when I was parking, the sun hit the window just right and I could see the same scatter of micro dots of whatever this is. I tried to take a pic into the sun.

i tried cleaning the glass with Blackfire glass cleaner. Nothing, not even one dot removed. I tried again with more force, nothing. Zero improvement. I then moved to a household glass cleaner, and again, zero change. The glass was never treated other than Hydr2O

given how much force and rubbing I’m doing on the glass, I don’t even want to try and clean the paint until I find a solution for the glass.

any ideas on how to start from a least aggressive approach, and work up? I feel like going back to the dealer and blowing up, but I don’t want them to touch it again now. God knows what they would try.

camaro2ssblack
10-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Probably paint over-spray. You're going to have to clay at a minimum.

PaulMys
10-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Looks and sounds like paint overspray.......... :(

Breese147
10-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Yeahp overspray buddy. Best of luck tarx might help. Don’t know for sure but doesn’t hurt to try a small section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmarkmac
10-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Just tried clay bar and it made the smallest difference on the glass. Maybe 5% improvement looking at the glass.

If clay won’t take it off, what’s the next option? I’m beyond pissed.

mrmarkmac
10-22-2019, 05:09 PM
If it’s paint overspray, it must be clear coat as my car has grey and black sections and unless I’m wiping something it’s clear and paint looks fine. It’s just when you touch it, it’s rough.

vincec
10-22-2019, 05:38 PM
On the glass you can use a razor blade. I've had to do that before to remove clear coat over spray. I would suggest going back to the dealer and showing them the damage and file a claim.

mrmarkmac
10-22-2019, 05:47 PM
On the glass you can use a razor blade. I've had to do that before to remove clear coat over spray. I would suggest going back to the dealer and showing them the damage and file a claim.

Im going to take it in just to give them a piece of my mind, but I don’t want them to touch it.

Not sure trying to make a claim with them will will go anywhere. Best they’d probably offer is to pay me the product cost.

Although they had applied some dealer coating before I bought it that I polished off. Maybe I take it in and tell them they need to refund the money of that deal coating as this craps not coming off.

Markymapo
10-22-2019, 06:00 PM
I would definitely bring it back and give them #&@$@&

JDGolden
10-22-2019, 06:03 PM
I’m also guessing clearcoat overspray. If clay isn’t getting it off, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable making a recommendation. I just don’t have the expertise others have. Keep us updated.

Whitewater25
10-22-2019, 09:17 PM
WD-40 and plastic razor blade or car pro glass polish & pad.

DirtyDuty
10-22-2019, 10:42 PM
For it to have clearcoat overspray would require it to be near a body shop, does that dealer have a body shop on site? Probably just that photo, and you would know better in person, but it looks like hard water spots.

mrmarkmac
10-23-2019, 06:46 AM
For it to have clearcoat overspray would require it to be near a body shop, does that dealer have a body shop on site? Probably just that photo, and you would know better in person, but it looks like hard water spots.

yes, it looks like hard water spots in the pic, but in person it’s too perfect a spray of fine mist dots.

the ford dealer has service and collision. The collision operation of their property is probably 75%. I suspect they parked it outside one of the large collision buildings.

SWETM
10-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Do you know if they do any kind of repair on the paint there?

My thoughts goes also to the clearcoat overspray. But since it's so hard to claying of on the glass I'm not so sure it is that. It can be that they where sanding fillers/putting with a sander while your car was in their or worse parked just beside the air outtake ventilation outside of the shop. It sounds strange that it came down from up in the air so to say. But this dust can fly anywhere and if it's gets wet it can activate to bond harder to materials. And even if you see it as a clear spot they are so small so the color of your paint still looks kind of the same.

When you remove overspray in a bodyshop you need to be useing an aggressive clay bar. 3M Perfect it Clay Bar or the Meguiars Proffessional Clay Bar 2100 something that it's called. Is what I would be useing if trying to remove clearcoat overspray or paint overspray or dust from fillers/putting. Then of cause in your case when it comes to the paint and your CQUK 3.0/Gliss coating. You will be comprimise the Gliss for sure and probebly the CQUK too. The problem with Gliss is it don't stand up to something like Carpro TarX and then also 3M Adisive Remover or any tar remover or stronger solvent which would be an option if you where to chemically remove what's on your paint. So your coating is pretty much done at this point and needs to be reapplyied. If you do so you get a lot more options to go with. The only thing I can think of that would maybe work is to use the Carpro Essence Plus. If the cleaning power in that is enough and you use the Carpro Gloss Pad to polishing with it is enough. Some have tried Essence Plus on a more aggressive pad with different outcomes. Most is the longevity of it and how the coating looks after the Essence Plus has worned off. And the same is a problem with the Gliss if you even are able to use Essence Plus on it. Maybe you need to be doing a thorough decon with TarX first to break down the Gliss and then Eraser before you polishing with the Essence Plus. This way you have the base protection still from the CQUK. Just a question how well the rest of the Gliss works with the Essence Plus.

I would personally even try to get a quote from a detailer who does apply ceramic coatings. On first what he would be fixing this. If he's going to be trying to save the coating you have applyied or if it's not fixable and what the cost would be to apply a simualar coating that you have now. Then maybe you don't need to be letting the detailer do the work (sorry all of the detailers). But have someones other opinion on how you would fix this either way to say to the dealership. I don't think that anyone is going to be trying to fix this other than reapply the coating. So why should you do that. And it's interesting how the other part in this case the dealership sees at it. But they installed their protection package on it so that would have to be reapplyied too. Maybe they can be so dumb so they claim that this you got on your paint would not be any problems if you had their coating left on it. You never know how they tries to get out of things. I mean a good detail today is not a cheap thing to do. So even with stripping the coating off you have a high cost of doing that.

Sorry maybe not what you wanted to hear. But I don't see an easy fix other than polishing your coating off. Hope it's sorting out for you in best possible way.

/ Tony

MarkD51
10-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Since you say you've coated the car previous to this mishap, you might find claying on the paint to go easier than on the Glass. Unsure what you had on the glass, but likely not as durable and protective as the paint coating.

I'd tend to agree with the rest, sounds like you caught paint overspray. Very possible they parked your car in that body shop short term, but just long enough for something stupid like this to happen.

While you can try at some form of compensation, such compensation might likely come at the offer of the dealer playing some more with your car, and I know you definitely don't want to go that route!

Optimum also makes a more aggressive black clay bar, and I see no way around getting your car back to the way it should be without chemical and clay processes being used.

As others mentioned, it likely means re-polishing and a re-application of coating.

Best of luck.