PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 Burnt Out (HELP)

Pages : [1] 2

P3 S197
10-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Ok so yesterday i was polishing a silverado when my 3401 started acting up. The trigger jammed in the on position a couple times and i had to pull it down to get it to turn off. No big deal, happens all the time.

After maybe 10 minutes of use, it just quit. Very heavy burnt electrical smell from the lower intake. Machine is less than 4 years old, less than 100ish hours of service.

Any ideas on what this may be? This thing is the life blood of my operation and i need it fixed like yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

talonted
10-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Have you replaced the brushes since you've owned it?

P3 S197
10-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Have you replaced the brushes since you've owned it?I have not, but the brushes surely wouldn't just go from fine to dead immediately. And they definitely shouldn't smell burnt.

My makita 9227 has been through more brushes than i can count, and you always knew ahead of time that they were going out. Never smelled funny or anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JustJesus
10-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Interesting. Never heard of this issue.

Please, keep us posted. I have two of these machines and would like to know what I should look out for

MarkD51
10-21-2019, 12:10 PM
I'd say that since the Trigger was starting to give you problems beforehand, this might be the likely culprit.
The switch, or wiring to it burned up.

But, here's the question, can one get parts to possibly do a self-repair?

I might be wrong just assuming a switch, I'm guessing the Flex 3401 might be a bit more complex and sophisticated than say a Hoover Vacuum.

New switch here is about $30.
Not sure if AG handles parts? Can't hurt to ask?

Parts for XC3401VRG | Powerhouse Distributing (https://powerhousetoolparts.com/part-list/flex/xc3401vrg/)

MarkD51
10-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Looking at the schematic, the switch swap looks pretty straightforward to me. The Switch itself looks like plug and play affair with a multi-pin connector.

If it was me, I'd no doubt be buying the switch from somewhere where I could get it fast and repair myself, rather than shipping and waiting for it to go to-from some service center.

Further confirmation of it likely being the switch, is that I see near the switch, the housing right there has air vents. Were these the vents of which you speak the burnt smell emanated from?

MarkD51
10-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Another part's site, and here's an image of the switch itself. Looks simple enough. And yeah, something like a switch, it might function a million cycles, and then maybe only 10,000 cycles, hard to say with such a part failing and at what point?

Switch [293504] for Flex Power Tools | eReplacement Parts (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch-p-164092.html?osCsid=0aa5m91bbp4h9hn7e2ckl608o7)

PS: I just did a forum search, something you can do too. The first thread I came upon with the search being "Flex Parts", brought up what appears to be a similar issue to yours, and yep, it was a failed Switch.

The one poster who responded said that commonly just two things can go wrong with the 3401, the Power Cord and Connector, and the Switch.

VISITOR
10-21-2019, 01:40 PM
if you can't figure it out, try giving powerhouse distributing a call. they've been the authorized repair facility (in the USA) for the 3401 since it's been out...

Powerhouse Distributing
11011 I Street
Omaha, NE 68137
402-715-5999

Store Hours:
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 5:00 pm

Bobby B.
10-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Flex Polisher. Powerhouse Distributing handles the replacement parts and repairs for the Flex Tools. They will be able to assist you.

Powerhouse Distributing
11011 I Street
Omaha, NE 68137
402-715-5999

P3 S197
10-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Another part's site, and here's an image of the switch itself. Looks simple enough. And yeah, something like a switch, it might function a million cycles, and then maybe only 10,000 cycles, hard to say with such a part failing and at what point?

Switch [293504] for Flex Power Tools | eReplacement Parts (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch-p-164092.html?osCsid=0aa5m91bbp4h9hn7e2ckl608o7)

PS: I just did a forum search, something you can do too. The first thread I came upon with the search being "Flex Parts", brought up what appears to be a similar issue to yours, and yep, it was a failed Switch.

The one poster who responded said that commonly just two things can go wrong with the 3401, the Power Cord and Connector, and the Switch.Mark, thanks a bunch for your information! Will be ordering a switch asap!

Kaban
10-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Brushes are cheap. Replace those first.

We have several Flex at the shop. Changed the brushes over a dozen times over the years on them. I've seen various symptoms before the machines died. Sometimes the machine would just go from 100% to not working at all. Other times, the trigger would act as if it had a mind of its own, slow to change speeds, slow to react to input, etc. So far, replacing the brushes fixed all the problems. The only other issues we've had was having to replace some cords, but that's probably due to us using them very aggressively.

MarkD51
10-22-2019, 02:29 AM
Mark, thanks a bunch for your information! Will be ordering a switch asap!

Just trying to help, and I hope my guess is correct. I'm surely no authority on Flex Tools specifically, don't even own a Flex .
Others here may also be of better help, and have much better experience than I with this particular machine.

I hope it will not also be another part associated with the switch, called the Speed Controller, which is a much more expensive part. If only just the switch-trigger is bad, and this less expensive part does the trick, then I'd say you got lucky and saved some money. (Was there any prior issues of speed control with the machine?)

In this other thread, I had noted some mention a cost of $120-$130, and I might guess that this was the switch-controller cost combined, or perhaps I'm wrong, that this was the cost of the Switch and the labor to install it? Again, hope it is not that more expensive part.

P3 S197
10-22-2019, 06:31 AM
Just trying to help, and I hope my guess is correct. I'm surely no authority on Flex Tools specifically, don't even own a Flex .
Others here may also be of better help, and have much better experience than I with this particular machine.

I hope it will not also be another part associated with the switch, called the Speed Controller, which is a much more expensive part. If only just the switch-trigger is bad, and this less expensive part does the trick, then I'd say you got lucky and saved some money. (Was there any prior issues of speed control with the machine?)

In this other thread, I had noted some mention a cost of $120-$130, and I might guess that this was the switch-controller cost combined, or perhaps I'm wrong, that this was the cost of the Switch and the labor to install it? Again, hope it is not that more expensive part.Went ahead and ordered a switch and brushes. Never had any trouble with the speed selector on the beast. Only the trigger acting like it was possessed. Gonna pull her apart today or tomorrow and do a visual inspection. Hoping for the best.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Will bring pictures and details from the repair once the parts arrive.

MarkD51
10-22-2019, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=P3 S197;1654237]Went ahead and ordered a switch and brushes. Never had any trouble with the speed selector on the beast. Only the trigger acting like it was possessed. Gonna pull her apart today or tomorrow and do a visual inspection. Hoping for the best.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Will bring pictures and details from the repair once the parts arrive.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like a plan. Might be a good idea to take some snap shots of the disassembly steps to aid you, and perhaps be of help for re-assembly.

A spare set of brushes is always a good thing to have on hand if you need them. Might be a good idea then to inspect the original brushes when the new ones come, if the originals look good, maybe just simply blow the cavities out with some canned air prior to re-installation of that set, or whichever you choose to then use.

I've been fortunate to save a few costly tools of mine by simply ordering the parts and doing the repairs. myself.

Please do keep us all posted on your findings and outcome.

MarkD51
10-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Not trying to string this thread out to be too long, but what I likely would've done first was to open up the tool first and inspect. This might have guided you to help find the specific problem, and as others have mentioned, the possibility of a bad Brush-Brushes, a Power Cord or Cord Connection, and other Parts that might be the culprit other than the Trigger itself?

There is a specific Sub-Section for Flex Polishers, and perhaps best that such info would be contained in one specific sub section area so that others may find such information valuable within that sub-section. Thus, if the moderators wish to move this thread, we'll all find it by search.

I hope the moderators of this group hasn't minded my suggestions of a fix, nor links to outside parts suppliers for the Flex 3401 Tool.

One example of a tool fix I did a few years back, was breaking a Dremel Tool.
I was installing an additional Deadbolt Lock to an entrance door, and like a dummy bought the wrong size Hole Saw to cut the new hole. (1/8" too small, ugh!)

So, I said, no problem, I'll whip out my trusty Dremel and go to work slightly enlarging the Hole. It was a Metal Laminate Door, and it was a little bit too much for the Dremel, I burned it up, or thought I did, as the Motor ran, but the Chuck remained stationary.

I had to finish the job with a half-round File.

I was sort of sick of what originally cost me about $100 for that Dremel Tool Kit, and smartly decided to open it up and see what went wrong inside?

Here, between the Motor and the Chuck-Collet was about a 2" long Plastic Splined Sleeve-Tube that connected the Drive Motor and Collet together, acting sort of like a little "Drive'Shaft". It shattered due to age and stress, thus breaking the mechanical connection.

Through a diligent search, I was able to find a parts supplier online who carried the specific part for that specific model, the Plastic Sleeve was $11 and $5 to ship. Was a lot better than having to go out and buy another Dremel Tool!