PDA

View Full Version : Touch up pen

Pages : [1] 2

Rsurfer
10-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Has anyone used the touch up pen that has a reservoir on the top? Is it really that much better than using a fine artist brush?

spazzz
10-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Has anyone used the touch up pen that has a reservoir on the top? Is it really that much better than using a fine artist brush?

Are you talking about the pen on one end and brush on other?
I could never get the paint to flow out of the pen.

The best I found is a paint code bottle dabbed onto a baggie and the fine artist brush. You can dab and practice on the plastic to acquire the right amount on the bristles.

PaulMys
10-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Me either. I even got a new one from my dealer, and it didn't work either.

Rsurfer
10-20-2019, 04:50 PM

The best I found is a paint code bottle dabbed onto a baggie and the fine artist brush. You can dab and practice on the plastic to acquire the right amount on the bristles.
No, this has a small paint reservoir on top that feeds the pen.

spazzz
10-20-2019, 08:48 PM
No clue what you are referring to then. I did some quick searches and couldn't find anything like that.
I am curious once again.

Rsurfer
10-21-2019, 01:57 PM
No clue what you are referring to then. I did some quick searches and couldn't find anything like that.
I am curious once again.

Go to Amazon and search auto paint pen. Tried to copy the picture, but couldn't copy it.

Bobby B.
10-21-2019, 02:24 PM
I enjoy working with Dr. ColorChip, so I've never tried the Rock Chip Touch-Up Tool. I've only seen videos of them being used on social media. Looks like a pretty cool tool though.

Bruno Soares
10-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Are you talking about Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen? That was brought up by Larry from AMMO a while ago and went viral. I have used it and it does work great. I just hate cleaning it up afterwards as the reservoir and tip are tiny. But it does work well for those tiny rock chips.

If that's not it, then I don't know what you're talking about.

Rsurfer
10-21-2019, 06:34 PM
Are you talking about Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen? That was brought up by Larry from AMMO a while ago and went viral. I have used it and it does work great. I just hate cleaning it up afterwards as the reservoir and tip are tiny. But it does work well for those tiny rock chips.

If that's not it, then I don't know what you're talking about.

Thanks that's it. The pen I saw came with a fine brush for cleaning. Don't know if it makes cleaning easier. I have a paint chip that I had a PDR guy remove the dent, but the rock removed the base coat.
Because of the size, I was wondering how the pen point would spread out the paint. Does the paint self level within the chip?

Bruno Soares
10-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Thanks that's it. The pen I saw came with a fine brush for cleaning. Don't know if it makes cleaning easier. I have a paint chip that I had a PDR guy remove the dent, but the rock removed the base coat.
Because of the size, I was wondering how the pen point would spread out the paint. Does the paint self level within the chip?

It does come with a pick to help clean it but it’s not super easy. But the tool works.
If the chip is more than a tiny dot, you can tap this “pen” in there several times and each time it dispenses a little bit of paint. Sort of levels itself.
Dr Colorchip also works well. And I’ve used that paint with the pen and it was fine. The nice thing about the pen is that it doesn’t lay down a blob. It’s pretty delicate and helps achieve a precise result. Probably works best on horizontal-ish surfaces. Vertical ones can be trickier with any touch up.

dpevans
10-21-2019, 07:05 PM
I have used both the pen and the brush. I like the brush better even for the smallest rock chip. I find the pen too hard to put on evenly while a brush you can control how much you put on.

spazzz
10-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Go to Amazon and search auto paint pen. Tried to copy the picture, but couldn't copy it.

Yep, found it.

I like my brush approach or out comes Dr.Colorchip.
Seems to me lacquer thinner would be better at cleaning that tool than alcohol(watched the AMMO vid)

Rsurfer
10-22-2019, 02:05 AM
It does come with a pick to help clean it but it’s not super easy. But the tool works.
If the chip is more than a tiny dot, you can tap this “pen” in there several times and each time it dispenses a little bit of paint. Sort of levels itself.
Dr Colorchip also works well. And I’ve used that paint with the pen and it was fine. The nice thing about the pen is that it doesn’t lay down a blob. It’s pretty delicate and helps achieve a precise result. Probably works best on horizontal-ish surfaces. Vertical ones can be trickier with any touch up.

I'm concerned because the chip is rather large. 1/8" in diameter.

Bruno Soares
10-22-2019, 06:23 AM
I'm concerned because the chip is rather large. 1/8" in diameter.

I think with that size you might have better luck with dr colorchip.

LEDetailing
10-22-2019, 12:27 PM
I’ve never had good luck with the ballpoint touch up tips.

I prefer buying inexpensive fine tip paint brushes in the craft aisle at Walmart. I Clean them up after every use with paper towel and paint thinner. The brushes have nice sleeves to keep the bristles straight and true.

Now if I could just get my tri-coat pearl white paint to blend/match the original paint:(