PDA

View Full Version : Help! Compounding car and noticed paint has been blown in sometime in the past!

Icarus
10-20-2019, 02:05 PM
I started the correction on my car today and noticed a spot on the drivers side front fender and a spot on the ds front and rear for has been painted in the past! You can see the outline of it on all three panels. They are pretty big, 3"wide or more and up to almost the length of the one door!

If I continue with Meguairs compound and an orange pad will it fade out more, or will I make it worse?! I have a heavier cut yellow pad to try if need be too...

Please help!
Thanks

Gaspar74
10-20-2019, 02:51 PM
I just run into this myself

I think it’s same issue. See my post titled
Clear issues.

vobro
10-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Repaint s can be tricky, even if you measure the paint thickness it's not definitive of how much clear is there. I wouldn't compound it first, try a fine polish if anything and reduce the amount of passes to keep the clear from getting hot. Always start with the least aggressive approach first.

Icarus
10-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Repaint s can be tricky, even if you measure the paint thickness it's not definitive of how much clear is there. I wouldn't compound it first, try a fine polish if anything and reduce the amount of passes to keep the clear from getting hot. Always start with the least aggressive approach first.
I did compound as I tried a test spot on the hood and the polish didn't do much at all. The car is full of haze/swirls.
The compound got rid of the door dings/rubs/scratches on the passenger side nicely, I'm just worried about continuing with the drivers side with this issue.

Icarus
10-20-2019, 07:27 PM
I couldn't figure out what to do with the drivers side and dew was starting to set on the car so called it for the night. :(

I've attached a pic of the one spot on the fender, the others are the same on the doors, just longer.

AutowerxDetailing
10-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Looks like an issue with the underlying primer or filler. This would need to be completely stripped and refinished in order to repair since it is under the clear coat layer.

Icarus
10-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Would compounding it make it worse or better?

AutowerxDetailing
10-20-2019, 11:04 PM
All that continued polishing would do is potentially flatten out the orange peel texture surrounding the underlying defect and make it stand out even more. Just needs to be repainted to make perfect. I'm no painter but it is my understanding that this sort of thing can happen when high build primer or body filler is used and not allowed to properly cure prior to painting. Once the paint cures and the underlying filler finally cures it will slightly shrink, causing the edges of the body work to have a wrinkled texture. Looks exactly like what your picture shows.

Icarus
10-24-2019, 10:45 PM
I've got the whole car compounded and polished but these three panels with these issues.I need to get them done so I can get some wax on it! I tried compounding the one area on the fender and it didn't seem to get worse or better, lol (it did clear up the paint some though like a compound would.) I'm thinking maybe wet sanding might be the only way to get rid of it/hide it more? :/

Icarus
10-27-2019, 11:31 PM
I chickened out of the wet sanding for this round :)
I just compounded it and polished and its a lot better then it was, though you can still see it in some spots. I didn't go heavy on them though for fear of making them show more. We will see in the spring how it looks and if I need to do more...