PDA

View Full Version : Center cooling hole in foam pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

Icarus
10-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Is it worth punching a hole in the center of pads that don't have them (obviously with a proper punch)? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Bobby B.
10-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Only if you're having issues with centering your pads to your backing plate.

Yellow Pad Centering Post, Wool Pad Center Post, Foam Pad Center Post (https://www.autogeek.net/centering-post.html)

Icarus
10-18-2019, 09:11 AM
I was asking more for the cooling benefits (if there really is any) of the hole, then the centering...

Bobby B.
10-18-2019, 09:16 AM
I was asking more for the cooling benefits (if there really is any) of the hole, then the centering...

A vented backing plate would help with keep the pads a little cooler. You want to change your pads often too, so you don't over heat them and damage them.

Griot's Garage 5 Inch Vented Backing Plate (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-5-inch-vented-backing-plate.html)

Icarus
10-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks Bobby B. The G9 I just got came with a vented back plate, so I should be good if I watch the heat and don't over work them?
I bought 4 of each pad to start, I know not quite enough, but hopefully fine if I'm careful...
I do have 1/2-1" variety sizes of foam punches as well, so thought I'd ask...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-18-2019, 09:24 AM
On the short stroke DA machines such as the Griots, PC, etc its not really necessary.

It becomes more of an issue with the long stroke machines. Yes you can run pads without the center hole on the long stroke machines but it does build up more heat and you should be mindful of that.

Bobby B.
10-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Thanks Bobby B. The G9 I just got came with a vented back plate, so I should be good if I watch the heat and don't over work them?
I bought 4 of each pad to start, I know not quite enough, but hopefully fine if I'm careful...
I do have 1/2-1" variety sizes of foam punches as well, so thought I'd ask...

Awesome! The new G9 is a great polisher and the vented backing plate will help with cooling the pads down during use. 4pcs of each pad is a great start. Just be sure to change them out about every quarter section of the vehicle. When you're done using them clean them really good with a Citrus Pad Cleaner and let them air dry.

BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner & Restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-pad-cleaner.html)

Icarus
10-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Thanks. Been reading about people getting 'dimples' in their pads etc, but most sound like over-working them. I'm good at over-analyzing stuff at times and worrying too much ;)

PaulMys
10-18-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm good at over-analyzing stuff at times and worrying too much ;)

Me too. But in my opinion, this is not necessarily a bad thing.......... :)

Dr Oldz
10-18-2019, 10:57 PM
Honestly it’s a great idea. I change pads so often this is a non-issue. If I only had a few pads and had to work fast, I would strongly consider doing it.

fightnews
10-19-2019, 04:25 AM
I wouldn't do it. Better off buying pads with holes already in them then trying to modify a pad that was not designed for it.

Icarus
10-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Using the B&S Euro pads today i noticed on two pads the center was sinking slightly :( The center hub of my new G9 gets hot! I was trying not to over work them, doing 2'x2' or less areas, 4-5 passes, changing direction each time, I used 4 pad rotation for compounding, speed 2-3 to apply, speed 5 to work it (Meguiars Ultimate Compound)? I was touching the centers to feel for heat once in a while, but only when I took the pad off did I notice how hot the center was actually getting. I did a test and cut one into quarters and indeed the center was getting denser from the heat :/

SWETM
10-21-2019, 04:56 AM
Using the B&S Euro pads today i noticed on two pads the center was sinking slightly :( The center hub of my new G9 gets hot! I was trying not to over work them, doing 2'x2' or less areas, 4-5 passes, changing direction each time, I used 4 pad rotation for compounding, speed 2-3 to apply, speed 5 to work it (Meguiars Ultimate Compound)? I was touching the centers to feel for heat once in a while, but only when I took the pad off did I notice how hot the center was actually getting. I did a test and cut one into quarters and indeed the center was getting denser from the heat :/

How was it with the saturation of the pad that you cut up into quarters?

As I understand it the G9 is a powerfull polisher that many has the speed setting 5 as the highest setting they go to. With compounding I would try lowering the speed setting to 3-4 and a normal armspeed of a inch per second. Do 2 sections and take off the pad and inspect it if it's gets hot or just warm in the center.

How are you cleaning the pad between sections? Brush the pad or compressed air or a towel? And how much compound do you apply on the pad? As saturation is the pads worst enemy to get this shrinkage in the center. So not even when the pad gets saturated with compound/polish no cleaning on the fly can usually revive it from the saturation and needs to be cleaned and flushed and dried to be fresh again. The more compound you use on the pad the faster it gets saturated. You can use a towel to soak up some of it but it's not very effective and maybe get you a extra or 2 sections and the same with compressed air. Until you need to be deep cleaning the pad. And when you compounding you get more dead paint aka oxidation and also abraded clearcoat and used compound in the pad than the next polishing step. So you usually needs the most of the compounding pads. To be able to do a whole vehical without cleaning the pads more thoroughly under water with a pad cleaner of some sort. And it can be many variations of how long you can use a pad until it's needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

Cruzscarwash
10-21-2019, 07:34 AM
i the dimples ive only had in MF pads, but i did buy a punch and have punched holes in my Megs MF pads and while i have always used one pad per panel and have about 40 or so MF pads ive not really sure how much of a difference it has made but in my head it was a great move...lol

Jayfro
10-21-2019, 08:28 AM
One thing that I do to keep the pads cooler, I always remove the pad from the backing plate when I'm wiping off the product on the section I just completed. I've found that helps a lot keeping the backing plate cool and not transferring to the pad. Depending on how hot it is outside, I'll also switch between two different pads for the panel, again letting the other pad cool down.

Jay