PDA

View Full Version : Hard water etching

BrownBarbie
10-16-2019, 08:23 AM
I'm working on the polished aluminum window trim of a 2017 CLS400 that the previous owner obviously parked next to a sprinkler. I blue taped off both sides and tried rubbing alcohol, then vinegar, then steel wool, then vinegar and steel wool, then a 1' high speed wheel with 3500 cutting. Nothing is working.

Aside from replacing does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you68227

Bobby B.
10-16-2019, 10:57 AM
I believe that's Anodized Aluminum Trim. Anodized Aluminum trim is very difficult to polish. You may have to strip the anodizing from the aluminium.

DBAILEY
10-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Its a long shot, but about a year ago I cleaned up the same type of trim on an older MB with DG Squeaky Clean. I was using it to prep for a coating and realized that that trim that I had given up on had been cleaned up after DG SC. Not sure if dissolved years of built up film/water spots or what. I wasn't expecting it to do anything to the trim except clean it.

Rsurfer
10-16-2019, 01:18 PM
I'm working on the polished aluminum window trim of a 2017 CLS400 that the previous owner obviously parked next to a sprinkler. I blue taped off both sides and tried rubbing alcohol, then vinegar, then steel wool, then vinegar and steel wool, then a 1' high speed wheel with 3500 cutting. Nothing is working.

Aside from replacing does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you68227

A strong water spot (acid) remover will work.

BrownBarbie
10-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. And so I don't screw anything up what brand or specific type would you recommend?