PDA

View Full Version : White Car + Tar/Oil = Unhappy owner!

soapboxpreacher
10-13-2019, 06:38 PM
So in the beautiful low tax, no corruption, best roads state of IL...road construction is an endless headache. The have been working on roads by us for months now and today I gave my baby a wash only to find endless amounts of oil and tar stuck all over the lower half. Since the car is white...it stands out like a soar thumb. Had an old spray can of bug and tar from TW but it did practically nothing and washing pretty much never gets it out so what to use?

fly07sti
10-13-2019, 06:41 PM
That sux! Tarminator works well, Citrol and even Kerosene. Just make sure to follow up with whichever wash method you prefer after. Good idea to add some fresh LSP after ur wash.

PA DETAILER
10-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (https://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html)

MarkD51
10-13-2019, 07:33 PM
This happened to me, in a turdhole known as East Chicago Indiana. My white Tahoe was smothered with tar, the entire vehicle, not one area was spared. Even my spare tire, shocks, glass, bumpers, roof, everything.

ejaf
10-13-2019, 10:05 PM
On my daughter's white Tiguan, I use 3M Adhesive Remover for the tough ones.

Eric

Reuben Brumby
10-14-2019, 07:40 AM
So in the beautiful low tax, no corruption, best roads state of IL...road construction is an endless headache. The have been working on roads by us for months now and today I gave my baby a wash only to find endless amounts of oil and tar stuck all over the lower half. Since the car is white...it stands out like a soar thumb. Had an old spray can of bug and tar from TW but it did practically nothing and washing pretty much never gets it out so what to use?I'm in Illinois also, I use carpro tar x and it works great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

howardm4
10-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Tar-X, Tarminator, Gyeon TAR or (favorite) Citrol. I probably will just use the others till they are done (or I'm bored) and stick w/ Citrol.

Bobby B.
10-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Autogeek has plenty of options for Tar Removers -

CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover
Gyeon Tar
IGL Ecoclean Tar
Stoner Tarminator Tar & Sap Remover
Optimum T.A.R. Remover
McKee's 37 Max Tar Remover
GTechniq W7 Tar and Glue Remover
Nextzett Anti-Insekt Bug & Tar Remover
Dodo Juice Tarmalade Tar, Rubber & Glue Remover
Meguiar's Heavy Duty Bug & Tar Remover
Mothers Speed Foaming Bug & Tar Remover

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-14-2019, 11:16 AM
After using a tar product, you may want to clay and run a paint cleaner such as an AIO or even a polish over the surface to make sure that nothing was embedded in the paint.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/72159-road-film-if-you-drive-your-car-rain-your-car-has-road-film.html)

PA DETAILER
10-14-2019, 11:22 AM
This happened to me, in a turdhole known as East Chicago Indiana. My white Tahoe was smothered with tar, the entire vehicle, not one area was spared. Even my spare tire, shocks, glass, bumpers, roof, everything.

OUCH! How did you end up removing it all?

vobro
10-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Yes dealing with tar is a way of life around here,for the small spots I like Tar-X. The big globs I ll use multiple applications, I also have a dedicated mf towel collection to deal with tar

soapboxpreacher
10-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Got a can of Citrol and Tarminator. Im ready!

howardm4
10-19-2019, 02:22 PM
make sure to wash/flood the Citrol/Tarminator cleaned surfaces when done o get it all off.

Icarus
10-19-2019, 06:32 PM
I hope you can get it off without to much issue.

I ran into a similar thing about a month ago coming home one night. They had repainted all the white lines for the intersections, crosswalks etc around my neighborhood and NOT put up a single sign saying they were wet! I drove my nice fairly shiny black car all the way home just to notice white stringy paint up both sides of it! Took me 4hrs+ of cleaning to get rid of it! I wanted to hunt down the idiots that did this big time, but that wouldn't have ended well for either of us!...