PDA

View Full Version : Does iron remover strip wax from paint

waterman
10-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Hello,

Does iron remover strip sealant/wax from the paint? I was trying something new on my friends car and didn’t have time to clay and polish.

Thanks

Mike Phillips
10-09-2019, 04:12 PM
I always frame questions like these in "extremes" to answer them,

Does using an Iron Remover ADD wax to paint?

What is the opposite of the word add?

:)

paulgyro
10-09-2019, 07:12 PM
The iron remove will definitely degrade even the toughest waxes but to varying degrees depending on the exact products. An iron remove isn't a wax stripping though.

SWETM
10-10-2019, 07:45 AM
It depends on the chemical resistance the wax or sealant has. Also if you have iron particals and industrial fallout on the paint you apply it on. As if you don't have any of them the iron remover don't reacts with anything. And also it's a difference between the different brands and what else they have in the iron remover. Useally it's not much of a cleaning ability from it. And it's a huge difference if you aggitate it or not. If you aggitate it it can be very aggressive on the LSP. SiO2 based protection products is very chemical resistant and the full blown coatings it's even recommended to use an iron remover if you get iron particals and industrial fallout on the ceramic coating. So you revive the coating performance with it. Some SiO2 sealants and sealants you can have have not an impact on them. Useing it as a LSP removal is not so effective to do. So use another product like a coating prep wash from McKees 37 or full strength Optimum Power Clean or a stronger dilution than the recommended with Carpro Reset car soap is some options that can degrade a wax or sealant sealant very much more than an iron remover does.

/ Tony

hooked
10-10-2019, 05:24 PM
There are a couple of YouTubers who test the durability of products by hitting them with iron removers and most of the products are degraded by the IRs. I wouldn’t rely on an IR to completely strip the wax/sealant from the paint.

MarkD51
10-10-2019, 06:24 PM
I would say like others have, if you're relying on a protectant after you do such a process, maybe short of a ceramic coating you won't have much in the way of protection.

Definitely put something on after.
Most don't go this route unless they're looking to do a full blown decon (clay) and paint correction afterwards.

Mike@ShineStruck
10-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Hello,

Does iron remover strip sealant/wax from the paint? I was trying something new on my friends car and didn’t have time to clay and polish.

Thanks

Iron remover is typically ph balanced out the bottle andnonly drops to acid when in contact with iron.. So im going to say no.

You dont know what the ph tolerances arr for any given wax or sealant..
Some can strip from acid, others wont

Some will strip from solvent or alkaline.. Others wont

If youre tryibg to strip, best metbod is polish

2nd best method is acid, alkaline then solvent

If you just wnt to know to make sure it didnt weaken your wax.. Cant hurt to retop

Mgavin1985
10-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Yea most iron remover are now iron/wheel cleaner. And some even seem to have lube in them I use synthetic clay mitt now with iron remover as lube it definitely has cleaning ingredients in it. This works for me but you would want to test iron remover from one brand to another can be very different. I also have an iron remover that is acid based so it does not change colors works ok but requires constant misting off water. It also removes calcium