PDA

View Full Version : QD Mix of N-914 and Aquawax?

ejaf
10-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

Searched, and couldn't find any info on this concoction. Mention of Aquawax mixed with ONR via google, though.

What would be a good ratio to mix, when utilizing N-914 as a QD (ratio as straight QD/waterless is 128:1)?

Thoughts/experiences? I am trying to save some time, since I currently use the AW as a drying aid, after rinseless washes.

TIA...Eric

FUNX650
10-09-2019, 10:32 PM
•Instead of taking a stab-in-the-dark about
coming up with the best ratio for a concoction
that’s made from mixing N-914 (@1:128 ratio),
and AquaWax (@“full strength”)...

-I prefer to rely on Duragloss’ Chemists, what
with their professional knowhow, to formulate
a RW/“Drying Aid” product that will already
contain AquaWax.
RE: Duragloss Wash with Aquawax

•Of course:

Please feel free to experiment;
That is: if you dare.
Many a Mad Scientist (some: eminent)
Have found that ‘Title’ an impediment:
It’s often a heavy burden to bear.

:)

Bob

ejaf
10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
•Instead of taking a stab-in-the-dark about
coming up with the best ratio for a concoction
that’s made from mixing N-914 (@1:128 ratio),
and AquaWax (@“full strength”)...

-I prefer to rely on Duragloss’ Chemists, what
with their professional knowhow, to formulate
a RW/“Drying Aid” product that will already
contain AquaWax.
RE: Duragloss Wash with Aquawax

•Of course:

Please feel free to experiment;
That is: if you dare.
Many a Mad Scientist (some: eminent)
Have found that ‘Title’ an impediment:
It’s often a heavy burden to bear.

Bob

Point taken, and that definitely would be an option in the future (personally, with something like N-914, though, I can utilize it in many different ways, it's very versatile, and I was just trying to see if I could save some time).

BUT...I have N-914, and I have AW, and I don't feel like purchasing new stuff, until I've used up the old.

I definitely do experiment, and I dare ;)

That's the reason why I use a water based polyacrylic from Home Depot on my tires instead of TufShine (which I have tested, and the tires are still on the car). Maybe I was lucky, since I have had many a burden with failed experiments.

Anyone else have a ballpark ratio I could try? Even based on two similar products?

E

FUNX650
10-10-2019, 10:08 AM
(I was just trying to see
if I could save some time)

Good idea:
Those few saved-minutes
can add up. Fast.

BUT...I have N-914, and I have AW,
and I don't feel like purchasing new stuff,
until I've used up the old.

Same as my budget ideologically allows.

I definitely do experiment, and I dare ;)

That's the reason why
I use a water based polyacrylic...

Whoa!
That’s pretty risky/risqué:
Rather Evel Knievel-ish,
I dare say. :eek:

Anyone else have a ballpark ratio
I could try?

Disclaimer:
IMO: It’s important to note that I never
have, or ever will be, a bathtub-blender.
(Kind of wish the same for others.)

“Ballpark Ratio”

1.)
Keep the N-914 @1:128...

2.)
As to AquaWax’s dilution ratio:

I suggest: At first start low.
Then, if need be, slowly add mo’.
And before you know:
It’ll be ready to go.

Regardless: Have FUN.

Bob

Ochnob
10-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Just get DG931 to try. It’s one of my favorites. And at 10$ it’s any easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

ejaf
10-10-2019, 05:46 PM
It's on the list for sure, after I run out of my Gallon of AW. Lots of good threads about 931/932.

Bob...thanks for the suggestions.
To quote a line from a Beastie Boys song:

"Slow and Low, that is the tempo" ;)

E

acuRAS82
10-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Try N-914 at 1:128 and add 1oz AW for every 15oz of your N-914 mix to start with. This is equivalent to how much SiO2 Spray I add in my Merlin Elixir (not developed by me but used and mixed 1:15 of Ech2O mix by me).

If you don’t see enough gloss being layed down you can then try 2oz and eventually 3oz per 16oz bottle of otherwise N-914 (if desired).

Markymapo
10-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Let us know the outcome! I have both of these lying around and may give it a try next week. Off to a family wedding and can’t get to it this weekend. I really need to pull the ingredient sheets and send to my PhD chemist friend (more of a solids dosage formulation chemist but he loves challenges like this).

ejaf
10-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Thanks!

Will do this weekend, hopefully, after I finish up coating my wife's car (all prepped already, just need to coat).

Eric

ejaf
10-13-2019, 08:09 PM
OK...Added the ratio 15:1 N914 at QD strength and AW.

Don't have photos, but the gloss is comparable, in my amaterish eyes.

However, one note...the surface using this formula is nowhere near as "slick" as the usual method (N914 QD and then staright AW). I would take that to mean (perhaps), not as hydrophobic as my original method).

E

Markymapo
10-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the update! Think I will skip the mixture (N914 as QD n followed by favorite topper for protection)

acuRAS82
10-14-2019, 10:33 PM
OK...Added the ratio 15:1 N914 at QD strength and AW.

Don't have photos, but the gloss is comparable, in my amaterish eyes.

However, one note...the surface using this formula is nowhere near as "slick" as the usual method (N914 QD and then staright AW). I would take that to mean (perhaps), not as hydrophobic as my original method).

E
Although it seems it would make sense, try separating slickness and hydrophobicity. They generally are exclusive of each other. Nonetheless, slickness is a popular attribute of AW and having a large decrease in it is one valid con of the mixture (vs AW straight after WW), if you think like I do.

ejaf
10-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Although it seems it would make sense, try separating slickness and hydrophobicity. They generally are exclusive of each other. Nonetheless, slickness is a popular attribute of AW and having a large decrease in it is one valid con of the mixture (vs AW straight after WW), if you think like I do.

I know...tough separating the two. I have my wife's car coated, and use the straight N914 for QD purposes, without the AW, always feels grabby after (just like the coating after it cures), and the water beads are quite tight.

Thanks all for the feedback...I will go with the two steps, rather than mix, due to the fact that I don't think I want to add the AW on top of the coated car.

I will have to make a decision on my next purchase on whether I want to go with the DG931, since I want to take care of both cars with the same QD (the car I tried it on is LSP'd with FK1000P). Probably won't hurt, but I learned from another newbie question that most coatings don't let anything "stick" to them, although I couldn't see a reason why it would hurt.

I would lose the use of N914 as my paint prep, and would have to go with my old process with IPA.

E

E

ejaf
11-07-2019, 11:24 AM
Just an FYI...

I found the sweetspot for me to be 4 ounces of AW with 28 ounces of N914 at 128:1.

Since I QD a lot (seem to have 15 minutes free every few days rather than 1 hour every week), it seems as if the mix of QD strength N914 and AW at 7:1 saves me some time.

Thanks all.

Eric

Klasse Act
11-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Love other versions of FrankenDetailer, I need to get some Aquawax and try this myself[emoji931][emoji362]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk