PDA

View Full Version : Shiny black plastic around door windows

Belair
10-08-2019, 09:30 AM
On a Toyota Avalon the smooth shiny black plastic around the windows had something applied last year which is wearing off. I'll clean it but what should I use to get the smooth surface looking good again? Thanks.

Mike Phillips
10-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I'd recommend using either a fine cut polish, one that uses great abrasive technology, or a quality cleaner/wax like BLACKFIRE One Step.

The black plastic on these is very thin. If you burn through the plastic what's underneath of the black is white plastic.

:)

Belair
10-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Thanks Mike.

Bobby B.
10-08-2019, 10:54 AM
The Blackfire One Step works great on the smooth shiny black plastic pillars.

BLACKFIRE One Step 16 oz. (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-one-step-16.html)

Belair
10-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Good to know Bobby, that's exactly what I'm dealing with. Don't have Blackfire but I can get it. Any alternatives? I have Meguiar's things, Mother's, Chemical Guys, & some Ultima things; I'll have to look again to see if there are any one step things that might be useful for other applications.

bofh
10-09-2019, 08:06 AM
I have this on my vehicle as well. I'm thinking about applying PPF to these little panels after correction.

Mike Phillips
10-09-2019, 09:20 AM
The Blackfire One Step works great on the smooth shiny black plastic pillars.

BLACKFIRE One Step 16 oz. (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-one-step-16.html)

Good to know Bobby, that's exactly what I'm dealing with. Don't have Blackfire but I can get it.

I use BLACKFIRE One Step for the cars I detail professionally unless I'm going to use a ceramic coating on them then I use a fine cut polish.

They key is using a product that uses GREAT abrasive technology - otherwise you will micro-mar the plastic.

The best bang for the buck is the 32 once BF One Step. A 16 ounce bottle was recently introduced but the quart is a better bang for the buck and once you use it - you're going to LOVE IT.

Any alternatives? I have Meguiar's things, Mother's, Chemical Guys, & some Ultima things;

Test these product first and make sure they are not leaving micro-marring. If they don't then go for it. I can guarantee BF One Step won't.

I demod BF One Step at SEMA on all the Piano Plastic on a brand new Honda Civic Sport LIVE in our booth for 4 days straight and that's under intense lights. Good stuff.

:)

Belair
10-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Thanks again Mike.

JDGolden
10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
I have had good luck with HD Speed on a Meguiar's polishing pad on my MIL's Audi. I also had good luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a Meguiar's polishing pad on my wife's Ford Flex. I went more aggressive on that because they were hammered.

YMMV

DirtyDuty
10-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Can the products suggested here be applied by hand with good results? If yes, what is the best technique? I have this piano black plastic on the B pillars of my truck, its near impossible to avoid scratches but I was trying my best to avoid them. I think my tint installer wiped them down adding some noticeable scratches along with some small water spots that don't want to come off.

57Rambler
10-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Can the products suggested here be applied by hand with good results? If yes, what is the best technique?

Yes, you can apply BF One Step by hand, however machine application will work best for more difficult imperfections. That said, as the surfaces of these plastic items are more delicate, you may be best off applying the product by hand, esp. if you have little/no experience using a polisher. You can always redo it if hand application does not do the trick but you cannot undo the damage from overdoing it with a polisher.

Start off by making sure the surface is clean. Then just follow BF's instructions for hand application :

"To apply by hand, use a clean foam applicator to work One Step into the paint until it disappears."

You can follow that up with a HQ microfiber towel for a final buff to shine.

DirtyDuty
10-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Yes, you can apply BF One Step by hand, however machine application will work best for more difficult imperfections. That said, as the surfaces of these plastic items are more delicate, you may be best off applying the product by hand, esp. if you have little/no experience using a polisher. You can always redo it if hand application does not do the trick but you cannot undo the damage from overdoing it with a polisher.

Start off by making sure the surface is clean. Then just follow BF's instructions for hand application :

"To apply by hand, use a clean foam applicator to work One Step into the paint until it disappears."

You can follow that up with a HQ microfiber towel for a final buff to shine.

Thank you.

UncleDavy
10-25-2019, 08:23 PM
It would be difficult to get good results by hand. I use HD Polish+ and then finish it with CQuartz DLUX.

Before

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191026/6f646298be604421a001c89daff2aaa4.file

After
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191026/c92457137b1167f2e4b24c215f45fb51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk