PDA

View Full Version : Paint thickness gauge

Pages : [1] 2

PM5C
10-08-2019, 02:40 AM
I only detail my own cars and those of a few friends. Since my current car was six years old when I bought it a year ago as the third owner, I have no idea how the paint was cared for or possibly corrected, I'm thinking that a pain thickness gauge would be a good tool to have for my own car and those of friends who don't know the history of how the paint was cared for, if it was ever polished, etc.

As a non-professional, I have a hard time justifying spending $250 or more for a gauge as seen on AG. But I have seen some online for under $100.

I'm interested in knowing if any forum members have invested in one of these budget gauges and if they do they job as unexpected.

Thanks!

PM5C
10-08-2019, 04:45 PM
AGO suggested some similar threads to me (much better than my own searching!) so I am good to go on this topic. I have all the info I need.

No need to reply.

Mgavin1985
10-08-2019, 08:54 PM
I bought a gauge from an online store for 12$ it reads magnetically won’t work on plastic, fiber or carbon. Only gives single reading. I test interior door panel, trunk and under hood get base reading because they usually have 1 layer of clear then test rest of car. I minus the reading from the normal polishing area paint from the average of interior trunk paint, under hood and interior door panels and get a reading how much clear I’m playing with. Not 100% accurate but not a hit to wallet just a useful guide when to tell me to be careful.

TTQ B4U
10-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Mine was $125 on another Amaz...ing site and it works just fine. Great in fact. I've seen it compared to one costing a lot more with little variance. Calibration targets, etc. were included. Only measures metal panels but I'm good with that.

Mgavin1985
10-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Amaz...is a forbidden word which is worse than a curse word. I got my pee pee smacked when said

TTQ B4U
10-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Amaz...is a forbidden word which is worse than a curse word. I got my pee pee smacked when saidI never said it. I said another Amaz...ing site.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Troda
11-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Had this same question. Care to share?

PEAD19
11-22-2019, 06:03 PM
AGO suggested some similar threads to me (much better than my own searching!) so I am good to go on this topic. I have all the info I need.

No need to reply.

Any chance to hear what suggestions ago gave you?

Rsurfer
11-22-2019, 06:26 PM
amaz...is a forbidden word which is worse than a curse word. I got my pee pee smacked when said

lol funny!!!!

JustJesus
11-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Any chance to hear what suggestions ago gave you?

after reading this...scroll down, and you will see something called "Similar Threads" - they should have about 4 threads related to the topic.

I think that's what OP was referring to.

RZJZA80
11-22-2019, 08:03 PM
after reading this...scroll down, and you will see something called "Similar Threads" - they should have about 4 threads related to the topic.

These instructions should be a sticky .... everywhere

JustJesus
11-22-2019, 08:06 PM
These instructions should be a sticky .... everywhere"Everywhere"

That made me laugh. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PM5C
11-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Absolutely correct!

And here's one more thread (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/122640-paint-thickness-gauges-10-15-a-2.html?highlight=paint+thickness+gauge)that helped me understand what these devices are with wildly varying prices.

Coatingsarecrack
11-22-2019, 11:29 PM

I’m on my phone and no article’s on bottom. I don’t buy to much online.... just AG and from Jeff bezo’s wife.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleDavy
11-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Paint thickness gauges can get quite expensive and for most of us hobbyists, it is not worth the high dollar units. I found one on Amazon for $125 and it was an Elcometer. It works quite well.