PDA

View Full Version : Electric pressure washer choices and issues feedback

dlefty
10-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Well, killed my 2nd Ryobi in as many seasons (used April/May-October/November). First went with the model that is on a rolling cart and features a built in hose reel. After that model went with one of the small portable units with the built in handle.
So I am starting to look into issues, and have narrowed it down to 3 potential things:
1-they are simply only going to last only so many “working hours”, and using routinely on 3-4 cars (personal use only, I’m not a business) I am just using them for all they got and that’s what it is.
2-Because I have them upgraded with all quick disconnects running Kobrajet 3/8” 50ft hose and a MTM SG28 spray gun, am I overworking them from the stock 1/4” 25ft. set up?
3-just my crap luck with 2 units.

Any feedback out there? People burning through them as quickly as I am? Did you find a solution?

I have a couple weeks left of needing to get some cars washed, so want to order something quick so it arrives this coming week, or stop at Home Depot tomorrow and give a go to Ryobi #3.

Considering 4 options at this point:
1-grab another Ryobi, hope it lasts longer or be ok with it lasting me another 6-7 months.
2-go with a cheap Karcher (K1700) and see if that outlasts the Ryobi stuff.
3-take it deep and pony up for a Kranzle since if I keep spending $100-$150 a year I should just “do it right”
4-dump the 3/8” hose and go back to a 1/4” and it may last?

Any thoughts/experiences/feedback?

PaulMys
10-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Are you using this just for detail work?

I know Roger (Klasse Act) has a WORX Hydro-Shot and loves it.

Sb5181
10-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Well, killed my 2nd Ryobi in as many seasons (used April/May-October/November). First went with the model that is on a rolling cart and features a built in hose reel. After that model went with one of the small portable units with the built in handle.
So I am starting to look into issues, and have narrowed it down to 3 potential things:
1-they are simply only going to last only so many “working hours”, and using routinely on 3-4 cars (personal use only, I’m not a business) I am just using them for all they got and that’s what it is.
2-Because I have them upgraded with all quick disconnects running Kobrajet 3/8” 50ft hose and a MTM SG28 spray gun, am I overworking them from the stock 1/4” 25ft. set up?
3-just my crap luck with 2 units.

Any feedback out there? People burning through them as quickly as I am? Did you find a solution?

I have a couple weeks left of needing to get some cars washed, so want to order something quick so it arrives this coming week, or stop at Home Depot tomorrow and give a go to Ryobi #3.

Considering 4 options at this point:
1-grab another Ryobi, hope it lasts longer or be ok with it lasting me another 6-7 months.
2-go with a cheap Karcher (K1700) and see if that outlasts the Ryobi stuff.
3-take it deep and pony up for a Kranzle since if I keep spending $100-$150 a year I should just “do it right”
4-dump the 3/8” hose and go back to a 1/4” and it may last?

Any thoughts/experiences/feedback?

Might just be bad luck. I have the first one you mentioned with the MTM kit. Bought as a refurb on eBay for like 75 bucks 2 years ago. Used weekly and still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sb5181
10-06-2019, 04:59 PM
But if I blew through two in a year I would probably switch brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North1Star
10-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Avoid Karcher. I bought the top of the line K7 but sold it after 6 months of home use since it felt like it won’t last long. Mid-quality plaric build. If I were you I will go with the small hand held size Kranzle

kevinkunkle
10-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Buy another Ryobi at HD and get the 3 year extended warranty.

dlefty
10-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Are you using this just for detail work?

I know Roger (Klasse Act) has a WORX Hydro-Shot and loves it.

Yes, as referenced for 3-4 cars, personal use, I’m not a business.

rlmccarty2000
10-06-2019, 06:48 PM
I second the extended warranty. I consider electric PWs “consumables”.

PaulMys
10-06-2019, 06:56 PM
I second the extended warranty. I consider electric PWs “consumables”.

Agreed.

I am a big advocate of gasoline powered tools (pressure washers, blowers, trimmers, you name it.)

Yes, it takes a little knowledge to care for them. But you can easily troubleshoot/repair them if needed.

And you will have them for many, many years.

Buy smart. Buy once.

Wknd Dtlr
10-06-2019, 07:19 PM
What orifice size are you using with your tips?

spazzz
10-06-2019, 07:59 PM
I am using a 4 year old,1600 Ryobi with handle, 25 foot Flexzilla hose and MTM pistol.

Just used it today and still kicking. I bleed the air with a spring clip on the trigger with no nozzle and just the water pressure for at least 10 minutes.
I leave it in the garage which never drops below freezing.

In reality I don't really use it every weekend, I do rinseless washes when I can

dlefty
10-06-2019, 08:11 PM
What orifice size are you using with your tips?

40-degree 2.5 nozzle
1.1mm Orifice for the foam cannon

These 2 sizes seemed to be the best recommendations from all the online testing I have seen.