PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Newly Coated Car safe from Morning Dew Until Cured?

ejaf
10-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Hey all,

I am recoating my wife's DD this weekend, and have come across a few threads regarding placing "something" on top in order to keep dew from affecting the coat, until it's fully cured.

Can't find those threads now, but haven't looked too hard (yet).

But I am more curious as to how/why something on top of a fresh coat of ceramic coating would work. Is it a function of UV light (sunlight in my case) curing the coat, and no curing process is taking place by the actual air evaporating the carrier agents?

And if there is some of the latter, wouldn't the protective topper cause issues as well?

Thanks in advance...Eric

Edit: the product discussed is Carpro Reload, I believe.

TTQ B4U
10-04-2019, 08:55 AM
You don't have anything to worry about. Just top it with Reload and you're good to go. Coatings can get wet within a matter of hours. The key to curing is not to wash them for 5-7 days.

dcjredline
10-04-2019, 09:05 AM
I would say to coat it as early in the day as possible so it has more time to cure before the dew the next morning. I would think 8-10 hours should be plenty

ejaf
10-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the tips and experience...I have coated cars now for the last 2 years (4 now in the barn, and one got a second coat in August), and haven't had a problem with morning dew yet, but didn't pay attention to the car the next day to see whether anything affected them at all.

Don't exactly know whether I got lucky, or they cured quickly enough, or whatever.

Also don't have Reload on hand, and nothing akin to it...which is why my curiousity was piqued in regards to factors which affect the curing time necessary.

E

DMiglio
10-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Hey, I have a thread going where I applied a coating with very minimal prep just to see how it would do and if it would bond well.

Ceramic Coating Experiment! Am I just wasting time and money? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/124540-ceramic-coating-experiment-am-i-just-wasting-time-money.html)

My car is also outside 24/7 and the temperature difference from day to night were around 25-30 degrees. There was a large amount of dew, not just a little built up but across the entire car and enough that as I drove it was actually beading up and sheeting off the surface. I’d guess there was about 8 hours or so of cure time, I finished around 4/4:30 pm and I leave for work at 4:30am.

The coating so far seems in tact, and based on the responses here you should be A OK!

fightnews
10-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Hey all,

I am recoating my wife's DD this weekend, and have come across a few threads regarding placing "something" on top in order to keep dew from affecting the coat, until it's fully cured.

Can't find those threads now, but haven't looked too hard (yet).

But I am more curious as to how/why something on top of a fresh coat of ceramic coating would work. Is it a function of UV light (sunlight in my case) curing the coat, and no curing process is taking place by the actual air evaporating the carrier agents?

And if there is some of the latter, wouldn't the protective topper cause issues as well?

Thanks in advance...Eric

Edit: the product discussed is Carpro Reload, I believe.

Well with Polish angel glasscoat the cosmic spritz cuts the curing time in half. I dont know why. Try to do it on a low humidity day and dew shouldn't be a problem

ejaf
10-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the cosmic spritz info.

@Dmiiglio: And yes, although I am fully prepping the car, I definitely am watching that thread.

Eric