PDA

View Full Version : Winterize without ceramic coating?

amitoj
10-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Hi,

I am struggling to find what is the best (from ease of application POV) product mix to prepare a car for the New England winters, that does not involve ceramic coating or adding anything at all to what I already have? I have the following sitting in my garage at the moment:

Porter Cable 7424xp DA with a bunch of LC orange and green pads
Sonax Polymer Net Shield
Wolfgang Uber AIO concourse series
Mothers carnauba cleaner wax
Mothers spray wax
Pinnacle Souveran liquid spray wax
Pinnacle XMT fine swirl remover
Pinnacle XMT carnauba finishing glaze
Meguiars 105 ultra cut compound
Meguiars 26 yellow wax
Zaino AIO
Zaino Z5
Bunch of clay bars
Tons of microfiber towels

As you can see, I am struggling to find a method to this madness.

If my goal is to protect my car for 3 to 6 months (covers the New England winters), what are my options here? With and without using the Porter Cable?

Cheers,
Amitoj

MarkD51
10-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Not adding anything, I'd say the Sonax PNS would be the way to go. Not sure of the condition of your paint? The most important thing I feel will be good protection to hold you over till spring.

As for things you don't seem to have, you seem to have a lack of Pads for the PC.

Another thing that will be good to have is a good trim and rubber protectant. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is a very good one, a little goes a long way, offers very good protection without going into ceramic trim coatings.
Also superb on all rubber weather stripping.

The areas that take a beating, and are often neglected are a complete clean up and detail-protection of the doors, especially the bottoms, door jambs, trunk and under hood areas. Get those areas up to snuff with protection, lubing hinges, treating rubber weatherstrip.

Last but not least, insure trunk is in order, tires and spare filled with air, good wiper blades, and of course a good soft snow brush and ice scraper.

amitoj
10-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Not adding anything, I'd say the Sonax PNS would be the way to go. Not sure of the condition of your paint? The most important thing I feel will be good protection to hold you over till spring.

As for things you don't seem to have, you seem to have a lack of Pads for the PC.

Another thing that will be good to have is a good trim and rubber protectant. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is a very good one, a little goes a long way, offers very good protection without going into ceramic trim coatings.
Also superb on all rubber weather stripping.

The areas that take a beating, and are often neglected are a complete clean up and detail-protection of the doors, especially the bottoms, door jambs, trunk and under hood areas. Get those areas up to snuff with protection, lubing hinges, treating rubber weatherstrip.

Last but not least, insure trunk is in order, tires and spare filled with air, good wiper blades, and of course a good soft snow brush and ice scraper.

Thanks, Mark.

There are bug splatters and minor swirl marks on the car. It has rarely been to a car wash but has been through a couple of "free" dealer washes during service *shudder*. It is usually parked in a garage. My idea is to restore shine, which I think a good claying session will do and apply cleaner wax to it. The PNS is a new addition and I have not used it yet. Can this go on top of the wax? Or should I apply it directly on the paint after claying? But then cleaner wax on top of it would negate the PNS. Would clay->PNS-> Souveran Spray wax be enough?

What if I want to go a step further and reduce swirl marks too?

DMiglio
10-01-2019, 07:05 AM
You’ve got a great selection of products to protect and maintain the vehicle for 3-6 months. Assuming you’ve got car soap I’d go with a wash/clay/quick polish/seal and from there maintain when possible.
Wash-whatever’s available, be sure to clean your door, hood and trunk jambs.
Clay-with whatever clay you have and use the soap from wash bucket or maybe your mothers spray wax for lube.
Quick polish-using the green pads and PXMT fine swirl remover I’d just go over an area a couple passes maybe 2 up 2 down criss cross pattern just to clean up the surface and not worry about major correction
Seal-sonax pns
Maintain-with either Souverän spray wax or maybe zaino z5 if that’s a spray wax/sealant

amitoj
10-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks! I was not sure where in the process, the SPNS will fit it. I recently got it and have not had a chance to use it. I have always used Carnauba wax as the final step.

You’ve got a great selection of products to protect and maintain the vehicle for 3-6 months. Assuming you’ve got car soap I’d go with a wash/clay/quick polish/seal and from there maintain when possible.
Wash-whatever’s available, be sure to clean your door, hood and trunk jambs.
Clay-with whatever clay you have and use the soap from wash bucket or maybe your mothers spray wax for lube.
Quick polish-using the green pads and PXMT fine swirl remover I’d just go over an area a couple passes maybe 2 up 2 down criss cross pattern just to clean up the surface and not worry about major correction
Seal-sonax pns
Maintain-with either Souverän spray wax or maybe zaino z5 if that’s a spray wax/sealant

This is helpful! Zaino Z5 is a polish, but I have not used it in a while.
I forgot to mention that I also have Optimum No Rinse solution. So, that should take care of washing step.

dcjredline
10-01-2019, 08:41 AM
PNS #1 choice and my #2 in that list is Megs 26

MarkD51
10-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Thanks! I was not sure where in the process, the SPNS will fit it. I recently got it and have not had a chance to use it. I have always used Carnauba wax as the final step.

This is helpful! Zaino Z5 is a polish, but I have not used it in a while.
I forgot to mention that I also have Optimum No Rinse solution. So, that should take care of washing step.

It is Mike Phillips, our forum master and host who has made the claim the PNS is the closest thing to a ceramic coating.

amitoj
10-01-2019, 10:27 AM
It is Mike Phillips, our forum master and host who has made the claim the PNS is the closest thing to a ceramic coating.

Yes, that's why I got it ;) He also mentioned in his Blackfire One Step Cleaner Wax review that he usually puts SPNS on top of it. So, I guess it is ok to put SPNS on top of Mothers Cleaner Wax or Uber AIO that I have?

acuRAS82
10-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Yes, that's why I got it ;) He also mentioned in his Blackfire One Step Cleaner Wax review that he usually puts SPNS on top of it. So, I guess it is ok to put SPNS on top of Mothers Cleaner Wax or Uber AIO that I have?

It should be fine to top PNS on one of the AIOs, preferably whichever lasts longer, my guess being Wolfgang.

amitoj
10-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Excellent.
For many years, I was a simple "wax on wax off" kinda guy. And then I stumbled across this forum :p and started collecting detailing items.
Now I am trying to make sense of all the assorted detailing stuff I have accumulated.

swanicyouth
10-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Around here (NE PA) and likely where you are at - nothing will last all winter IME. It’s not the snow or mud - it’s the brine they put on the roads. It damages everything it comes it in contact with over time - even steel & concrete. Once you start driving in that - nothing will hold up on the lower areas that are in contact with that solution on a daily basis, including coatings.

So, instead of focusing on trying to get through a winter with one application, I focus on what’s easy to apply quick (it’s cold out) and works well. Because if you want it to last everywhere on the vehicle throughout the whole winter - you will have to reapply it.

Spray sealants seems to be where it’s at for me. Easy to apply and BSD and the Turtle Wax SnS stuff hold up as good as any wax - actually better. Also, you can use them on all surfaces and they are fast to use.

acuRAS82
10-02-2019, 03:51 PM
I usually go into winter with something durable, but continually rinseless/waterless wash in my garage (attaches but not heated, but normally above freezing) and then drying aid or straight apply spray waxes/sealants every week or two. Not everyone may have this luxury but as swanicyouth mentioned, apply when you can if you want it to stay protected everywhere.

MarkD51
10-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Around here (NE PA) and likely where you are at - nothing will last all winter IME. It’s not the snow or mud - it’s the brine they put on the roads. It damages everything it comes it in contact with over time - even steel & concrete. Once you start driving in that - nothing will hold up on the lower areas that are in contact with that solution on a daily basis, including coatings.

So, instead of focusing on trying to get through a winter with one application, I focus on what’s easy to apply quick (it’s cold out) and works well. Because if you want it to last everywhere on the vehicle throughout the whole winter - you will have to reapply it.

Spray sealants seems to be where it’s at for me. Easy to apply and BSD and the Turtle Wax SnS stuff hold up as good as any wax - actually better. Also, you can use them on all surfaces and they are fast to use.

True, given enough time, salt can eat away a Mountain.

I'm sure it won't matter, Sonax PNS, Colly #476, nothing conventional will stop the damage salt causes. And as for coatings, probably the best bet of all, but like you surmise, maybe not so.

Plus, what about those areas that you're never going to be able to get to? It's all over the car, dripping down side glass into doors, underside, engine compartment, there's nowhere to hide.

Thus, if it's a vehicle you really love and care for, and you're in the snow belt, store it, and drive a junker.

Me Time
10-02-2019, 08:22 PM
I hope to put a Coating on both vehicles before winter hits, but if not, I will go back to my trusty Finish-Kare 1000P (BWM101) Paste wax. Both are garage kept but I have had it last sometimes for 6 months. Which all depends on how I wash them and if I use some type of spray sealant after washing. If you go with this or Collinite 476, just make sure to put it on THIN......