PDA

View Full Version : Tar removal - Citrol or Tarminator

Pages : [1] 2

Delsil
09-30-2019, 06:37 AM
I am looking to see what everyone likes for tar removal. I have always used Tarminator and always got the 5 gallon pail so I can use spray bottle rather than buying aerosol cans of it. I can get a 5 gallon pail of Tarminator for around $110 which lasts me the whole year. I have seen a couple videos of Citrol doing a great job to remove tar but would like your thoughts. Thanks

Bill D
09-30-2019, 06:59 AM
Gee, that’s a whole lot of tar removal. Are you a professional detailer?

Delsil
09-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Yes I have a mobile detail business. the 5 gallon pail is cheaper than buying cases and cases of aerosol cans

howardm4
09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Citrol is somewhat more effective and takes less time/effort but its' also way more expensive at around $60/gallon (do they even make something larger) so it may not be worth it to you.

Dr Oldz
09-30-2019, 11:42 AM
I think Citrol works better and faster. But as stated above, it is more expensive. Maybe try a can and make your own determination to see if it’s worth it for you.

SWETM
09-30-2019, 12:43 PM
I would test with a can of Citrol 266 and see if the time saving or if it's easier to work with is worth it to you. Have not used any of these tar removers. But use one basicly at every wash I do in the winter months here in Sweden. One thing with a more effective tar remover that also has a clinging ability from it. Is that you may use much less of product with the more effective one and it's more time saving too. I went with trying the Carpro TarX and this has those abilities. A 1L bottle I got 6-8 uses from. While my ordinary tar remover I get 2-3 uses from. Still for me who does 2 cars the TarX is not worth it as it's so much more expensive. I pay less for the 5L jug than for the TarX. No doubt the TarX is a better product and if I where haveing a business it could be worth it.

Can you get the Citrol in a gallon jug or is it only in spray cans?

howardm4
09-30-2019, 12:52 PM
I've seen it in gallons and even 5gl bucket (from one vendor)

Delsil
10-01-2019, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Cost is a factor for me since my detail business is a late afternoon (not for much longer with daylight) and weekend only business. Has anyone had any success diluting Citrol which I heard can be done? I know using full strength would be best but if I could cut it 1:1 or even 1:2 it may be worth it. I think TarX is out for me as it is too expensive,

howardm4
10-01-2019, 10:14 AM
I've read some stuff that suggests a dilution as high as 1:10 but honestly, I'd probably just call Schaeffer (Citrol mfgr) and ask them. Or get a gallon and try it (or maybe a spray can and a water mister). You'd need 1:1 or 1:2 to make it cost equivalent to most others.

Rsurfer
10-01-2019, 01:52 PM
You can get a gallon of kerosene for a few bucks and works just as well.

dcjredline
10-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Im switching from Tar-X to Citrol and hoping it works well at 2:1 or 1:1 at minimum. Thatll bring it way into my budget specially since I pay $1 per ounce for Tar-X already.

ducksfan
10-01-2019, 06:22 PM
I think everyone should have some type of a di-limonene product (Citrol is 90 something percent di-limonene). So many uses for it in addition to tar removal. I know professional carpet cleaners use it to kick up the effectiveness of some products. One ounce per gallon (in addition to the cleaning product) is a common addition from posts I've read. If you use an AIO, you should try adding about 10 percent to whatever you clean your pads with. Nothing I've tried works better.

Mgavin1985
10-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Citrol is something I also check for mobile detail. It is very effective pricewise I feel it worth it in gallon size it has been safe with a majority of surfaces as long as it’s flushed or diluted with water for interior use. Impressive product. Igl precoat is like a very diluted cousin of 266 it seems similar

For tar removal I use straight I only add small amount of water if it hot or I’m in sunlight on mobile it evaporates quickly under those conditions

Delsil
10-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Gallon of Citrol is coming today and Schaeffer's did say there is a dilution chart on the gallon jug. So we will see how it works tomorrow when I have a SUV to detail

Mgavin1985
10-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Tar stands no chance I keep work area small 1/4 panel to avoid evaporation that’s the only con I found with the product.