PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate compound doing nothing for me

Pages : [1] 2

Dunkaroo
09-29-2019, 04:21 AM
I'm using ultimate compound with a LC ccs light orange cutting pad doing 6 section passes with good pressure and slow movement with 50% overlap and it's not removing any scratches at all if anything all it's done is make the scratches even more visible so what am I doing wrong?

The Guz
09-29-2019, 05:45 AM
You may be dealing with hard paint and may require a more aggressive pad or a more aggressive pad and compound.

fightnews
09-29-2019, 06:38 AM
What machine?

Dunkaroo
09-29-2019, 07:24 AM
It's called spta and it's got a 5 inch backing plate and 780w motor

howardm4
09-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Did you mark the backplate w/ a Sharpie to make *sure* it's actually rotating?

Dunkaroo
09-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Did you mark the backplate w/ a Sharpie to make *sure* it's actually rotating?

No, but it looked like it was rotating and test spot was flat also I wasn't applying so much pressure as to stall the pad just enough that I could hear motor noise start to dull.

fightnews
09-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Idk maybe the ultimate compound is not strong enough but compound is supposed to make the paint look worse because of its grit. Thats why you need finishing polish as a follow up.

Also UC is a consumer product. If you want really professional results I would upgrade to the new 110 210 combo from miguiars. They are the real deal products for professional use.

Klasse Act
09-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Lots of variables here and I'm only a backyard detailer but this is why it's good to have a variety of pads like flat mf for instance, as well as other polishes and compounds. I'm sure you'll find what you need to know, good info here already. That said, I've had good luck with UC, just used it by hand yesterday on a spot on my quarter panel, knocked it out no problem, no marring and no need to follow it up, well, other than some fresh coating there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dunkaroo
09-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Lots of variables here and I'm only a backyard detailer but this is why it's good to have a variety of pads like flat mf for instance, as well as other polishes and compounds. I'm sure you'll find what you need to know, good info here already. That said, I've had good luck with UC, just used it by hand yesterday on a spot on my quarter panel, knocked it out no problem, no marring and no need to follow it up, well, other than some fresh coating there.

Well i've been reading and reading for about 4 weeks before attempting this and also think my prep was good washed car, ironed car, clayed car with mothers clay bar and car was looking spotless and felt smooth as glass. But you are right I should have bought the LC ccs Cutting pad but thought this might be too aggressive and didn't want to waste any more money in case I didn't need them. I wasn't expecting to get every scratch out but after doing 10 section passes and adjusting my technique I noticed very little improvement still hundreds of scratches everywhere.

Dunkaroo
09-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Not sure what to do now maybe my scratches are too deep? but they only look like light surface scratches to me and need to be looking at right angle and light to see them. Do you think if I'm not getting much improvement with the UC and LC CCS light cutting pad I will get better results with the yellow cutting pad?

Klasse Act
09-29-2019, 10:20 AM
A pic or two would help, plus the kind of car but it doesn't sound like a light cutting pad is what you need. A light cutting pad is for someone who started with great looking paint and over time just started to see light swirls and the like, you know what I mean? I'd get something like a LC cyan pad to start, its blue and also a flat, mf pad incase you need more. It really does come down to the right tool for the job, don't give up on UC yet, ok? Also, what about the speed setting?

howardm4
09-29-2019, 10:26 AM
might also want to consider a microfibre pad and Meg's D300

The Guz
09-29-2019, 01:43 PM
No, but it looked like it was rotating and test spot was flat also I wasn't applying so much pressure as to stall the pad just enough that I could hear motor noise start to dull.

Read this

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/122544-how-monitor-pad-rotation-mark-your-buffing-pads-post1645184.html)

Not sure what to do now maybe my scratches are too deep? but they only look like light surface scratches to me and need to be looking at right angle and light to see them. Do you think if I'm not getting much improvement with the UC and LC CCS light cutting pad I will get better results with the yellow cutting pad?

It may be time to step up to a microfiber cutting pad. The meguiar's and lake country microfiber cutting pads work well on hard paint. I personally have not used UC on microfiber or have used it in a very long time, but you may want to look into a more aggressive compound such as Meguiar's M110.

might also want to consider a microfibre pad and Meg's D300

This is a good combination as well.

2black1s
09-29-2019, 05:16 PM
If Ultimate Compound isn't doing anything for you, you could try different products as others have mentioned, but my suspicion is that it's your process that needs tweaking more so than the product you're using.

I've seen more than a few novices that are generally not aggressive enough. That is perfectly understandable while you are gaining experience.

Polishing takes some effort.

My suggestion is to take the products you have and go at it a little harder... Gradually.

Dunkaroo
09-30-2019, 03:16 AM
Well I marked my backing plate and had another go this time I put more downward pressure and went slower and I got amazing results I don't even think I need to polish it's looking so good the ceiling light looks crystal clear in the reflection now.