PDA

View Full Version : Spray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine winters

Pages : [1] 2

5js
09-26-2019, 01:53 PM
I have another thread where I am looking for recommendations for a product between biannual details. Something like a QD or waterless after going to a coin-op touchless.

While looking at the different products for that purpose I noticed that they have some spray on sealants that you can spray onto a washed auto while it’s still wet, then you rinse the auto off and dry.
This got me thinking about the winters here in Maine when it’s usually impractical to do even a QD or a waterless.

What are thoughts on going to a coin-op car wash (the type with a bay and a wand). Washing the vehicle – the applying the spray sealant while it’s still wet – then rinsing and drying while it’s still in the bay? This would just be to get though the winter season.

A couple of example products I came across are Sonax Spray and Seal or McKee’s Hydro Blue Sio2 coating. Anybody have experience with these products or similar spray on sealants? Again, just looking at something to get me through the winter months in Maine – where they use a lot of chemicals on the roads (salt, calcium chloride, etc.)

acuRAS82
09-26-2019, 02:06 PM
You’ll want to rinse first, then spray (then rinse again if it’s a spray and rinse product like you mention) then dry... but yeah, these should provide some protection from the elements in between washes.

5js
09-26-2019, 02:12 PM
You’ll want to rinse first, then spray (then rinse again if it’s a spray and rinse product like you mention) then dry... but yeah, these should provide some protection from the elements in between washes.

Oops, yea that would be the plan. Forgot to include the rinse. So yea, wash - rinse - spray sealant - rinse - dry. I should be able to do that in a bay during the winters in Maine.

Would love to hear feedback from others that have used one of these spray sealants you apply to a wet auto.

howardm4
09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
I use Carpro Hydro2 (the concentrate) at 1:9 ratio and it works very well. Basically the same as the others you mention.

Costwise, the concentrates are MUCH better values (but that's true of all this car care stuff).

acuRAS82
09-26-2019, 02:54 PM
I’ve used plenty of Mckees Hydro Blue. It’s really easy, lasts for a month or more in the real world northeast (winter in Maine, maybe less though where salt blasts the lower panels). It self cleans great. It’s basically a very short term, easy to apply coating.

I agree that you should go with concentrate. Easier to store inside (don’t let products freeze!), better value, probably has longer shelf life.

The only thing I can’t guarantee is how Hydro Blue will last when applied in the cold weather, assuming your bays will be above freezing but not exactly a 60F+. But you’ll find out soon enough. As you rinse/wash you’ll see how well the previous coat has held up.

howardm4
09-26-2019, 02:59 PM
if the bays allow you to attach your own detergent tank, then Carpro makes a version that is truly all-in-one. Wash and apply at the same time, no separate rinse, spray/apply, rinse. I think it's called 'Carpro Foam' but not sure.

>> I'm sure an email to the product's mfgr re: application in cold weather etc would be useful in deciding which was better (if any) for your use case.

SWETM
09-27-2019, 02:29 PM
I have used spray on rinse off products as the only LSP during 2 winters here in Sweden. Sonax Spray and Seal is a great one and gives you a candy gloss a longevity of high performance 2-3 months and up to 4 months until totaly failed. But useally you have one wash you can do during the 2-3 months. The same you get from Gyeon Wet Coat but a more crispy gloss from it. The new version of Gyeon Wet Coat 2019 has even a notch higher longevity from it. Testing it now on the sides and back of the car. And I have noticed it's more of protection from it. Have also used the Carpro Hydro2 lite which is the ready to use version. Before the new version of Gyeon Wet Coat this has been the longest durability between them. Have also the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax testing on half of the hood and just got the new Turtle Wax Dry N Shine Rinse Wax LOL. So you can say I like these kind of products LOL.

As long as it's not lower than the freezing point they work great to apply in these conditions. Remember that it's recommended to apply it one panel at the time and rinse it off starting from the top of the vehical. During the winter months you get often away with a big panel or 2 smaller panels at the same time. You can get away with larger size of spray on and rinse off but you take a risk of getting high spots that way. So I don't risk it as if it dries on the paint you have problems with getting it off.

One more tips to save product and getting you a better coverage. Is to spray 2 times on the panel and 4 times on bigger panels and take a damp mf towel or mf applicator sponge and spread it out on the panel and PW rinse it off thoroughly. It is an extra step but it goes fast still to do this. And IME I feel like I get a longer durability from it this way. Wring out the mf towel or mf applicator sponge when it's gets saturated. A 1L Wet Coat bottle I get 10 applications from easy and that includes the rims.

IME I also feels like these kind of products build up the protection. So start applying it a month or 2 before the winter months. Apply it every other wash so you get at least 3-4 applications during this time. And I have gotten a higher performance from them. I have not used Hydro Blue. But the ones I have used I can recommend them all. The HCW some like to be useing as a drying aid with great results. And even diluted it down up to 1:7 have worked good. Also the better prep you do the longer longevity from it you get. This is when you start useing it. Decon wash with a tar remover and iron remover. Also get Carpro Reset car soap or Gtechnic G-Wash to get the paint as clean as possible when you wash it at the coin-op. These are so good when you have the road salt and road film during the winter months. And the better it bonds when you reapply them during the winter months. It's not effective to apply 2 layers after each other. So wait a week at least before next application. When you have building up the protection and performance you only need to be reapply it every other month. They are more durable when you have building up the protection.

/ Tony

acuRAS82
09-27-2019, 07:53 PM
^^ Thanks Tony, for confirming your experience with Spray and rinse products working well in cold weather. Good to know!

5js
09-30-2019, 12:58 PM
I have used spray on rinse off products as the only LSP during 2 winters here in Sweden. Sonax Spray and Seal is a great one and gives you a candy gloss a longevity of high performance 2-3 months and up to 4 months until totaly failed. But useally you have one wash you can do during the 2-3 months. The same you get from Gyeon Wet Coat but a more crispy gloss from it. The new version of Gyeon Wet Coat 2019 has even a notch higher longevity from it. Testing it now on the sides and back of the car. And I have noticed it's more of protection from it. Have also used the Carpro Hydro2 lite which is the ready to use version. Before the new version of Gyeon Wet Coat this has been the longest durability between them. Have also the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax testing on half of the hood and just got the new Turtle Wax Dry N Shine Rinse Wax LOL. So you can say I like these kind of products LOL.

As long as it's not lower than the freezing point they work great to apply in these conditions. Remember that it's recommended to apply it one panel at the time and rinse it off starting from the top of the vehical. During the winter months you get often away with a big panel or 2 smaller panels at the same time. You can get away with larger size of spray on and rinse off but you take a risk of getting high spots that way. So I don't risk it as if it dries on the paint you have problems with getting it off.

One more tips to save product and getting you a better coverage. Is to spray 2 times on the panel and 4 times on bigger panels and take a damp mf towel or mf applicator sponge and spread it out on the panel and PW rinse it off thoroughly. It is an extra step but it goes fast still to do this. And IME I feel like I get a longer durability from it this way. Wring out the mf towel or mf applicator sponge when it's gets saturated. A 1L Wet Coat bottle I get 10 applications from easy and that includes the rims.

IME I also feels like these kind of products build up the protection. So start applying it a month or 2 before the winter months. Apply it every other wash so you get at least 3-4 applications during this time. And I have gotten a higher performance from them. I have not used Hydro Blue. But the ones I have used I can recommend them all. The HCW some like to be useing as a drying aid with great results. And even diluted it down up to 1:7 have worked good. Also the better prep you do the longer longevity from it you get. This is when you start useing it. Decon wash with a tar remover and iron remover. Also get Carpro Reset car soap or Gtechnic G-Wash to get the paint as clean as possible when you wash it at the coin-op. These are so good when you have the road salt and road film during the winter months. And the better it bonds when you reapply them during the winter months. It's not effective to apply 2 layers after each other. So wait a week at least before next application. When you have building up the protection and performance you only need to be reapply it every other month. They are more durable when you have building up the protection.

/ Tony
Thanks Tony.

I'll definitely start the season with a well prepped and sealed auto. Plan is to wash -> chemical decon -> rinse/dry -> clay bar -> polish (Menzerna 3500) -> wipe down -> sealant (Menzerna Powerlock). As long as I can I'll be washing regularly and using waterless wash product periodically as a quik-detailer.

Once the winter season starts I plan on going the coin-op touchless car wash when it's above freezing. However, I don't think I be able to use the Carpro Reset or Gtechnic G-wash while in the wash bay (may be able to, just not sure). Then after washing and rinsing i'll apply the spray on sealant, rinse off, then dry. I'll try using a wet MF to spread the product over a panel before I PW rinse it off. Based on what you provided above I'm most likely going to try the Gyeon Wet Coat first. Keep us apprised on how the other products you are testing work and I'll modify my plans accordingly :).

howardm4
09-30-2019, 01:27 PM
It's kind of a losing battle. I'm in Boston and once the car is winter prepped, to do cleanings, I just hit it w/ ONR at a higher than normal dilution for rinseless via a tank sprayer to get things wet and start the crud flowing. then onto ONR and BRS, MF dry and home-made Elixir (Echo2 & Reload) as a topper. Maybe this year I'll try Sonax BSD

5js
09-30-2019, 02:14 PM
It's kind of a losing battle. I'm in Boston and once the car is winter prepped, to do cleanings, I just hit it w/ ONR at a higher than normal dilution for rinseless via a tank sprayer to get things wet and start the crud flowing. then onto ONR and BRS, MF dry and home-made Elixir (Echo2 & Reload) as a topper. Maybe this year I'll try Sonax BSD

Agreed - it is kind of losing battle. Even a rinseless would be difficult. Thinking one of the spray on sealants like Tony is using in Sweden may help in the battle. I'll use the other products (Like a concentrate mixed for rinseless, waterless, or QD) as long as I can.

Klasse Act
09-30-2019, 03:44 PM
It's kind of a losing battle. I'm in Boston and once the car is winter prepped, to do cleanings, I just hit it w/ ONR at a higher than normal dilution for rinseless via a tank sprayer to get things wet and start the crud flowing. then onto ONR and BRS, MF dry and home-made Elixir (Echo2 & Reload) as a topper. Maybe this year I'll try Sonax BSDDon't give up, get a Worx hydroshot so you can rinse up under the car as well as the tires, wheels and wells. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's been great, not letting Mother Nature win here in Chicagoland[emoji931]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5js
10-01-2019, 01:19 PM

This got me thinking. During the winter months where it's really only practical for me to go to a coin-op bay, what if washed and rinsed the vehicle, then applied Sonax BSD as a drying aid and then dried with some MF clothes? Or maybe even a 50/50 mix of Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD as a drying aid? Seems like this would get the vehicle clean while putting a bit of protection/beading/shine.

Then if we had a day that was nice enough I might get in a waterless or rinseless with a Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD mixed as appropriate for the application.

Hmm, might be worth giving this a try...

Klasse Act
10-01-2019, 02:08 PM
I'd be afraid it's cold and it would streak[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KBsToy
10-01-2019, 02:34 PM
For my SW Pa winter prep I am going back to DPC Spray sealant then use 50 / 50 mixture of BSD / V07 as a drying aid.. This worked will for me last winter.