PDA

View Full Version : What to do with very old car for harsh outdoor winter?

720pete
09-26-2019, 10:03 AM
I live in Wisconsin and have an early 2000s Honda that has basically lived outdoors its whole life. We get anything from rain to sleet to freezing rain and ice on a regular basis. The car thankfully has no rust but it is very scratched up and the paint is in poor condition despite my best efforts to keep it in good shape. Parking outside just does that and I have no other option. I last had it detailed a few months ago at a shop that I felt would be good but they did a poor job. I have detailed the vehicle myself in the past, using clay bar and the klasse kit. I need to apply something to the car that will last 5 months or so outside in the harsh winter. I live downtown so I literally do not have a parking garage or an outlet where I could use any power buffer of any kind. I am happy to do what I can by hand. What would you recommend to apply to help the car get through winter?

PaulMys
09-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Slap a coat of Collinite 476s on it.

Rsurfer
09-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Use the Klasse polish, but instead of the Klasse glaze, use what Paul suggested (Collinite 476).

MarkD51
09-26-2019, 05:53 PM
You own what I'd call a "beater-mobile". And I wholly understand the importance of this vehicle, that such is a very important lifeline to get around in daily when you need to, no matter the conditions.

Yes, running down to the "Pig" to get a couple packages of Brats, and some Hard Rolls are very critical things, I know such all too well (LOL) don't mean zip that there's 6" of snow on the ground, that Grill has got to be fired up! Doctor's Appointments, taking children to School, whatever!

Collinite #476 Super Doublecoat Paste was is about the cheapest, and best bang for the dollar you'll find. But don't expect it to hide swirls, clean, or correct any paint damage, or be that easy to work with. It's a very hard paste Wax-Sealant Hybrid Combo. Akin to like the old Simoniz in a way. One can will wax an entire city block of vehicles, and I'm talking both sides of the street!

Wax your car with it, you'll hardly place a dent in the can as far as what you used per application.

Such low expense will help you for spending money on perhaps other things. The most important are good brakes, good tires, good Wiper Blades, check and fill all fluid levels where needed. Etc.

Clean up trunk and inside, and get rid of all unneeded crap ahead of time, and carry what you might need. Oh, and check your Spare tire! How many times people never do, you then find out too late, your spare has 10 lbs of air! (That Ain't working!)

I know what wicked Wisconsin Winters are like. That one can go weeks without the ability to do a darn thing to the vehicle except maybe brush off snow, and scrape ice off of glass and go.

I know sometimes I probably get frowned upon here, to perhaps suggest looking for this particular product on the great big auction site, or Amazonian. LOL Just trying to perhaps save you money, maybe find a great price, free shipping to buy this one measly can, rather than paying as much in shipping costs as what the damn wax costs!

PaulMys
09-26-2019, 05:59 PM
You own what I'd call a "beater-mobile". And I wholly understand the importance of this vehicle, that such is a very important lifeline to get around in daily when you need to, no matter the conditions.

Yes, Collinite #476 Super Doublecoat Paste was is about the cheapest, and best bang for the dollar you'll find. But don't expect it to hide swirls, correct any paint damage, or be that easy to work with. It's a very hard paste Wax-Sealant Hybrid Combo. Akin to like the old Simoniz in a way. One can will wax an entire city block of vehicles, and I'm talking both sides of the street!

Wax your car with it, you'll hardly place a dent in the can as far as what you used per application.

Such low expense will help you for spending money on perhaps other things. The most important are good brakes, good tires, good Wiper Blades, check and fill all fluid levels where needed. Etc.

Clean up trunk and inside, and get rid of all unneeded crap ahead of time, and carry what you might need. Oh, and check your Spare tire! How many times people never do, you then find out too late, your spare has 10 lbs of air! (That Ain't working!)

I know what wicked Wisconsin Winters are like. That one can go weeks without the ability to do a darn thing to the vehicle except maybe brush off snow, and scrape ice off of glass and go.

I know sometimes I probably get frowned upon here, to perhaps suggest looking for this particular product on the great big auction site, or Amazonian. LOL Just trying to perhaps save you money, maybe find a great price, free shipping to buy this one measly can, rather than paying as much in shipping costs as what the damn wax costs!

Mark, I agree with everything you said here except for the "or be that easy to work with...."

I find 476s a breeze to apply. (And remove).

MarkD51
09-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Mark, I agree with everything you said here except for the "or be that easy to work with...."

I find 476s a breeze to apply. (And remove).

Yeah, I know, and should've added that to my last post.

In 30-34 years, I've probably gone through 9-10 cans of #476, not just on my cars, but many others.

So, I'll add in case nobody else does, You can use a Microfiber or better yet a Foam Sponge Applicator. Wet it with water, and squeeze out the excess. Then apply as "thin" as you can, but insure full even coverage.

When the applicator begins to feel like it's beginning to drag a little bit, repeat the wetting and wringing process to get you through.

Dependent upon weather conditions, and after a period of time has passed, do a finger swipe test. or try removing a little from a small area with a clean dry towel. If it's coming off, continue on, if not, and it's a little too seemingly wet still, wait a bit longer and try again.

MarkD51
09-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Oddly, I found Collinite's TOTL #915 Marque De Elegance Paste the hardest of all to apply and get off. I only ever bought one can of this in my life, and only used it once, still have it. One day I'll play with it some more.

One important thing with good paste waxes. Make very sure after use you tap that lid back on fully, and store it in the house. Don't let it freeze, or bake in some outdoor shed year round.

Commonly with any paste waxes I've bought, I'd place a cut piece of Saran Wrap over the can opening, then tap on the Lid to help insure no drying out.

howardm4
09-26-2019, 06:53 PM
I re-purpose the kitchen vacuum sealer to seal the cans.

Don’t forget things for the car and your own safety like blankets, emergency food, folding shovel, etc.

+1 on 476S. Awesome stuff.