PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Ceramic Coating Storage?

Pages : [1] 2

ejaf
09-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Has anyone been able to successfully stored an open bottle of ceramic coating over a year?

Curious, as that will affect my next purchase choice of which one to get, or whether to just go back to a sealant (tried to store Mckee's 37 in fridge to reapply to a vehicle previously coated last year, and ran into what I would call, "sticking" issues).

TIA...Eric

The Guz
09-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Pinnacle Black Label paint coating does not harden in the bottle.

Other coatings may harden in the bottle once opened.

Bruno Soares
09-26-2019, 10:02 AM
I think all good coatings will harden in the bottle. If they don't how do they protect the car like they say they do?
IMO the curing is inevitable and will happen, some will be faster, some will be slower.

ejaf
09-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Interesting...I would tend to agree with that statement...

@Guz - you've noticed no issues regarding the Pinnacle coating after prolonged storage?

JustJesus
09-26-2019, 10:56 AM
I received used IGL back in February. Not sure how long they were open at that point.

In August, I finally went and used it. Both bottles had formed some solids, crystal like stuff? around the threads of the bottle/cap. I was careful when I opened it, and took a damp towel to remove those bits before I tried applying it.

Hasn't seemed to affect performance, but it's too early to tell.

TTQ B4U
09-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Yes. I have over a dozen plus that are stored in my garage. It gets hot in the summer but is heated in the winter. Never had any issues. McKee's is the only one I have had a problem with but I've since moved to storing them in old CarPro or GYEON dropper style bottles and have no issues with it now.

ejaf
09-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Yes. I have over a dozen plus that are stored in my garage. It gets hot in the summer but is heated in the winter. Never had any issues. McKee's is the only one I have had a problem with but I've since moved to storing them in old CarPro or GYEON dropper style bottles and have no issues with it now.

Are you saying that you have stored Mckee's for longer after switching the bottle?

I had tried to store them in a plastic bottle, sealed with Saran Wrap around the threads, yet had issues with removal.

Here's what I stored them in...could be I didn't flip over to this method soon enough, however:

TTQ B4U
09-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Are you saying that you have stored Mckee's for longer after switching the bottle?

I had tried to store them in a plastic bottle, sealed with Saran Wrap around the threads, yet had issues with removal.

Here's what I stored them in...could be I didn't flip over to this method soon enough, however:

I use empty ones from the other manufacturers (https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e27d9/images/stencil/original/products/887/5094/CARPRO_Cquartz__75792.1541090678.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on). See the image linked to there.

ejaf
09-26-2019, 11:44 AM
ty

The Guz
09-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Interesting...I would tend to agree with that statement...

@Guz - you've noticed no issues regarding the Pinnacle coating after prolonged storage?

Pinnacle does not harden like a typical coating in the bottle or the applicator itself.

ejaf
09-26-2019, 02:23 PM
ty for getting back...E

Mgavin1985
09-26-2019, 07:31 PM
It may work to put nitrogen in from welding supplies just an idea put in ballon first then slowly flood open coating bottle to displace normal air ... or helium

ejaf
09-27-2019, 07:29 AM
It may work to put nitrogen in from welding supplies just an idea put in ballon first then slowly flood open coating bottle to displace normal air ... or helium

Get your point...I could also purchase a cannery and utilize their vacuum machines as well ;)

Markymapo
09-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Good idea on nitrogen overlay

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Mgavin1985
09-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Good idea on nitrogen overlay

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I buy my coating bottle at glass bottle bottle outlet I don’t use euro dropper I use pressure cone style fill up to bottom of neck the pressure cone style is air tight I buy coating in liter option from Japan and transfer to 30 ml.