PDA

View Full Version : Correcting and Protecting Plastics

Northwoods
09-23-2019, 03:15 PM
When it comes to cleaning and protecting finishes on plastics what's the best method? I have a JD riding lawn tractor that has a plastic hood and painted steel body, snowmobiles with painted plastic hood, and ATV's with plastic body panels and fenders. Is it best to just wax the plastics after washing or can the finish actually be corrected at all? Would a compound, polish or AIO type product make any sense to use on plastic panels? Can a polymer sealant be used on plastic or is it best to just wax?

I guess it wouldn't be any different than a painted bumper or body panel on a vehicle. Except some plastics are not painted and just colored before being molded.

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Yeah, unfortunately you won't be able to correct any plastic pieces like those that are found on a mower cowling.

Whole different animal compared to clear coated finishes on today's vehicles.

That said, it never hurts to apply any kind of LSP's to the plastics.

My Troy-Bilt rider (red plastic cowling) still looks new (color-wise) compared to my neighbor's who I know never takes care of anything.

Mike Phillips
09-24-2019, 05:48 AM
Three letters,

PNS

:)

Northwoods
09-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Would it make sense to use a "plastic polish" and then apply the PNS?

Griot's Garage Plastic Polish, polish headlights, polishing plastic windows (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-plastic-polish.html)

Rsurfer
09-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Three letters,

PNS

:)

Will PNS correct?

JetDriver
04-13-2020, 06:38 AM
What is PNS?