PDA

View Full Version : What Brand/Model of Foam Pad for All-Around General Use...?

Northwoods
09-19-2019, 04:40 PM
I just picked up the new GG G9 and a replacement 5” backing plate. I’m only going to be working on daily drivers… Accord, Passat, Tacoma, Tundra, and Silverado. I’m planning on keeping things simple for now and only using BlackFire One Step.

What brand of foam pad should I go with? I’m sure this is sort of like asking Chevy vs. Ford and everybody has an opinion, but I’m just looking for a good quality pad for general all-around detailing work. I don’t need top of the line but also don’t want low quality. I can figure out what color/cut, but I’m wondering on what brand and model I should go with?

Also, maybe a silly question, but since I’m going to be using a 5” backing plate, I should get 5.5” pads correct? Would there be any advantage to getting a 6” pad?

Thanks for all the help! This forum is a great place to learn!!

PaulMys
09-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Lake Country makes great pads. I have a ton of them, and a few other brands as well. But I always end up going back to my LC's.

Boss pads are awesome, but a little pricey. (But worth it....)

And yes, 5.5" pads with a 5" BP.

Northwoods
09-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Thanks PaulMys. As far as LC pads, I probably see more people talking up their ThinPro pads than the CCS or regular flat pads. Are the ThinPro's a good pad to start off with?

Goonie75
09-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Thin pro will allow for more or faster rotation. More correction is the thought. Spins more with GG6, etc. I use some of those but LC flat I use a lot. Orange and white. Some blue and black.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

bcgreen
09-20-2019, 12:54 PM
I am thinking of adding to my arsenal of 5.5 LC foam pads. Are there any differences between ThinPro vs Thin pads?

Northwoods
09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
To get started I'm thinking regular LC Flat pads - Green for the Black Fire One Step AIO.

What speed setting on the GG G9 should I use... 5?

PaulMys
09-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Thanks PaulMys. As far as LC pads, I probably see more people talking up their ThinPro pads than the CCS or regular flat pads. Are the ThinPro's a good pad to start off with?

I actually like my LC flats better than anything.

Mind you, I never have much correcting to do as I try and baby my paint as much as possible.

But like I said, my flats are always my go-to.

MarkD51
09-20-2019, 06:31 PM
I have a boatload of LC Thin Pads, long before the Thinpros ever came out. Top flight in all regards. And the G9 should have zero problems with them.

bcgreen
09-20-2019, 06:33 PM
I have a boatload of LC Thin Pads, long before the Thinpros ever came out. Top flight in all regards. And the G9 should have zero problems with them.

Are you liking the Thin more so than the Thinpros?

Jon TDS
09-21-2019, 06:22 AM
Urofiber is awesome for a MF cutting (/finishing) pad. In between a cutting and polishing pad.

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk