PDA

View Full Version : Isopropyl Alcohol

texasdan
07-13-2006, 11:06 PM
What ratio should I dilute IA to for "starting new"?:confused:

The bottle I have is like 70% IA straight out of the bottle.

Neothin
07-13-2006, 11:27 PM
50/50 works.

it doesn't take much alcohol to get the desired results

BILL
07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Is that used after clay? or after final polish just before top coat??/

ScottB
07-14-2006, 10:35 PM
one of the things we found out here on the forum, was that a normal bottle of Isoporyl Alcohol is already watered down to around 70/30. You can also buy it in 91% which is stronger. Guessing you could easily use it full strength if wanted, but might consider the lower product.

BILL
07-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks........:)

Is that used after clay? or after final polish just before top coat??

not sure i even need it if im using AIO after final polish.....??:confused:

ScottB
07-15-2006, 07:24 AM
only need to use it after a polish (or final polish) if you were going directly to a sealant. AIO will remove any fillers so alcohol wipe is unnecessary for anything but checking your polishing progress. (remember the fillers can hide some flaws, you might work longer if you knew they were still there).

JeffW
07-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Try doing a bucket wash with Dawn (original blue formula), and if you have a foam gun use it also with Dawn. This will give you great foam to clean with, and strip all the old junk off at the same time. I first used Dawn for this a couple months ago and it was much easier than spraying Iso on.

ScottB
07-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Try doing a bucket wash with Dawn (original blue formula), and if you have a foam gun use it also with Dawn. This will give you great foam to clean with, and strip all the old junk off at the same time. I first used Dawn for this a couple months ago and it was much easier than spraying Iso on.

Problem is Dawn is highly alkaline in content, and can do a number on weatherstripping and rubber surrounds. Keep household products, in the house !