PDA

View Full Version : Wheel techniqe

Pages : [1] 2

crankbait09
09-19-2019, 01:39 PM
I am not sure if this is considered a wheel cleaning technique, or maybe a bad habit, but here's my question.

I was going to use the Mothers wheel cleaning brush for my tires, obviously. Can this brush be doubled up and used on both the rims, and the tires? Or is it better to use two different brushes for this? It says "wheel" brush, so does that mean the whole wheel, the rim, or just the tire?

briarpatch
09-19-2019, 01:50 PM
I use a stiffer (Tuf Shine) brush for the tires, and a (multiple) softer brushes for the wheels

SWETM
09-19-2019, 03:21 PM
For maintance washes in between when you apply the tire dressing or tire coating. Absolutely a brush that's softer for the rims works great on the tires too. As briarpatch mentioned the Tuf Shine Tire Brush is an awesome tire brush for getting the tires deeply cleaned. When I use a tire coating I don't use the Tuf Shine brush as it's very aggressive. As most tire brushes with shorter bristles are. So these shorter harder bristle brushes I use when I'm going to apply the tire coating or dressing. Otherwise I use the longer bristle brushes for maintance cleaning. Then I don't useally needs to be useing a tire brush when I have a tire coating on the tires. I get a great cleaning from the prewash foam and PW clean rinsing it off the tires thoroughly and that's enough for me. If I see a dirt build up after this I use the longer softer feathered bristle brush with the wheel cleaner which useally also is needed to be done then. Just like the Mothers Wheel Brush.

Here's the link to the Mothers Wheel Brush on AGO.

Mothers Wheel Brush makes cleaning your wheels more comfortable with a rubberized grip. Clean your wheels with Mothers Car Care Products! (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wheel-brush.html)

/ Tony

Rsurfer
09-19-2019, 06:11 PM
I am not sure if this is considered a wheel cleaning technique, or maybe a bad habit, but here's my question.

I was going to use the Mothers wheel cleaning brush for my tires, obviously. Can this brush be doubled up and used on both the rims, and the tires? Or is it better to use two different brushes for this? It says "wheel" brush, so does that mean the whole wheel, the rim, or just the tire?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GJ3DZS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1IMMGH21TGL3P&psc=1

In the AG world of detailing a wheel brush means the face of the wheel (rim) including the barrels. A tire brush is for scrubbing the tires.

On a coated tire a much softer brush such as the Mothers wheel brush could be used as you not trying to remove the coating, but just the surface dirt and brake dust.

I often clean my coated tires and coated wheels with a mf towel and a waterless wash.

crankbait09
09-19-2019, 07:31 PM
I see.....thank you for the responses. So it sounds like both brushes are needed, especially at first when trying to deeply clean the tire. Then the softer bristle brush to maintain.

so let me ask this, in regards to the barrels. I am certainly no detailer, other than cleaning my own vehicles. Is it very common for people to actually clean the barrels? I would have never thought to clean the barrel, especially when I can't ever see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Or does this fall in to the category, "If you're gonna do it, do it right, and not half ass".

PaulMys
09-19-2019, 07:41 PM
I see.....thank you for the responses. So it sounds like both brushes are needed, especially at first when trying to deeply clean the tire. Then the softer bristle brush to maintain.

Exactly. And the brushes aren't really expensive in the long run.

You'll have them for years.

Rsurfer
09-19-2019, 07:55 PM

so let me ask this, in regards to the barrels. I am certainly no detailer, other than cleaning my own vehicles. Is it very common for people to actually clean the barrels? I would have never thought to clean the barrel, especially when I can't ever see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Or does this fall in to the category, "If you're gonna do it, do it right, and not half ass".
If you were really hard core (anal), you would pull your wheels off to do a thorough job. LOL!!

PaulMys
09-19-2019, 07:59 PM
If you were really hard core (anal), you would pull your wheels off to do a thorough job. LOL!!

Did you just say hardcore anal?

Damn, Rsurfer.........:awesome:

Eldorado2k
09-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Did you just say hardcore anal?

Damn, Rsurfer.........:awesome:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Rsurfer
09-19-2019, 08:39 PM
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Good to see you post. I was just thinking about you, how are you doing?

2black1s
09-19-2019, 10:16 PM

That's what I do on my personal truck! Every time I rotate the tires (at 7,000 mile intervals) I thoroughly clean and wax the barrels while they're off the vehicle. In between tire rotations I just clean the barrels on the vehicle with a wheel brush or by simply wiping.

crankbait09
09-20-2019, 06:45 AM
I could certainly see doing it during tire rotation, good idea. But taking the wheels off every car wash time to clean barrels? ah, hell naw. I aint that dedicated.

mc2hill
09-20-2019, 09:35 AM
I could certainly see doing it during tire rotation, good idea. But taking the wheels off every car wash time to clean barrels? ah, hell naw. I aint that dedicated.

Something like a Speed Master Wheel Brush (https://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html) or the Speed Master 'wooly' brush kit (https://www.autogeek.net/speed-master-wheel-woolies-kit.html) will allow you access the barrels without removing the wheel. I clean the barrels on my truck once ever month or so, and it makes them really look clean.

Rsurfer
09-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Ahh then you can't join the Auto Geekers Club.

Eldorado2k
09-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Good to see you post. I was just thinking about you, how are you doing?

I’m doing much better now, thanks for asking.[emoji1417]

Btw has anyone else had trouble getting on this forum lately? I’ve been getting an “error” message alot of the time for the past couple of days.