PDA

View Full Version : Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint

pwking
09-12-2019, 06:07 PM
I just got done painting a 2006 Silverado with single stage Omni paint. I used to work for a body shop in highschool and college but I've forgotten just as much as I learned. The paint is still really soft but I didn't want to wait too long to get this done. As you will see there is hazing and/or marring in the new paint after buffing.

I've done two different test spots. On both test spots I wetsanded with a block with 1200, 2000, and ended that with 3000 grit.

For the first test spot I did m100 with an orange pad (all pads are Lake Country). I followed that with M205 with a white pad. I even tried M205 on a black pad. I still couldn't get the hazy look out. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this but it looks identical to the pictures of my 2nd test spot.

For the 2nd spot I sanded the same and then went right to m205 with a white pad. Is this classic hazing? The paint is still quite soft. Should I just wait it out a bit? I painted Sunday but I can still scratch it easily with a microfiber cloth if I rub too hard.

This is the 3000 grit sanding scratches:

The following pics are showing the marring or haziness that I'm getting:

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike Phillips
09-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Yeah - looks bad.

Just to double check - are you sure your getting all your sanding scratches out using a foam cutting pad?

:)

Mike Phillips
09-13-2019, 08:53 AM
If it were me, and you think this paint is still soft - I would wait for either a few mor days and even a week.

Let the paint fully dry and set-up or shift

If it’s truly soft it should still be easy to cut in a week. Maybe move the car outside on a hot sunny day.

I don’t trust a foam pad to get out 100% of the sanding marks and would use a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

pwking
09-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Yeah - looks bad.

Just to double check - are you sure your getting all your sanding scratches out using a foam cutting pad?

I am sure the scratches are coming out. There are no directional scratches at all. I'll wait a few more days and give it another shot. Is there a less aggressive polish I should be using?

Mike Phillips
09-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Is there a less aggressive polish I should be using?

Lots of them.

See what I wrote here,

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/122394-polishing-plexiglas-clear-glass-using-pinnacle-advanced-finishing-polish.html)

tomsteve
09-13-2019, 10:46 AM
1200 to 2000 grit is way too big of a jump in grits, which you could be seeing the 1200 grit scratch pattern still.
try a different test spot- sand with 1200 in one direction like this \\\\\\\\\. move up to 1500 and sand in this direction/////////. then 2000 in a horizontal direction. shouldnt have to go to 3000,which 2000 to 3000 is way too big of a jump,too. you will be able to see the refinement of the scratch pattern from the previous grit when switching directions between each grit. you could also throw a guide coat on after every grit to know when the next grit completely refines.
then buff and see what the results are. that M100 is great at cutting with a rotary and wool pad. i just about dont have to use a polish afterwards.
its going to be more time with a DA and the orange pads but they do work.

how many coats of paint and is it a solid color or metallic?

pwking
09-13-2019, 11:22 AM
1200 to 2000 grit is way too big of a jump in grits, which you could be seeing the 1200 grit scratch pattern still.
try a different test spot- sand with 1200 in one direction like this \\\\\\\\\. move up to 1500 and sand in this direction/////////. then 2000 in a horizontal direction. shouldnt have to go to 3000,which 2000 to 3000 is way too big of a jump,too. you will be able to see the refinement of the scratch pattern from the previous grit when switching directions between each grit. you could also throw a guide coat on after every grit to know when the next grit completely refines.
then buff and see what the results are. that M100 is great at cutting with a rotary and wool pad. i just about dont have to use a polish afterwards.
its going to be more time with a DA and the orange pads but they do work.

how many coats of paint and is it a solid color or metallic?

It is solid black and three heavy coats.

Thank you for the information. I sand in one direction with each grit so I can see if I sanded off the previous grit. I'll try sanded with less jump in grit. I do not see straight line scratches in the paint after buffing though...

pwking
09-30-2019, 02:58 PM
****Update****

I finally got the pickup looking great. I ended up using a Meguiars finishing polish (sorry, I don't remember which one) with a couple sprays of water on the pad. It looks great now. Thank you for the help!