PDA

View Full Version : Cause of water spots

carlg
09-12-2019, 03:02 PM
The water in my area is so bad, that you almost need to do a full detail every time you wash the car. The water spots are impossible here. Even drying the car does not always help.

But, I noticed when we do our dishes (yes the glasses we drink from), they come out spotless (hand wash or machine).

So why could it be that my dishes and glasses come out sparkling clean, but the cars always come out awful?

Could it be the sun?

Maybe something in my garden hose?

It's essentially the same water.

Rsurfer
09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Are you washing in the sun?

carlg
09-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Are you washing in the sun?

Sometimes, sometimes not.

You think this could cause water spots?

Rsurfer
09-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Sometimes, sometimes not.

You think this could cause water spots?
Definitely, even in the shade, if you let it dry without wiping. You may want to use a drying aid that will help with the spotting and add gloss to your paint.

Bruno Soares
09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Your dishwasher has a product in it to help it dry with no spots.
For the car you’d need deionized water. CR Spotless is one brand but there are others out there.
The sun makes the water evaporate fast and leaves behind whatever was mixed with it, like calcium and whatnot. Those are the spots you see.
Washing in the shade gets you more time to dry without spotting. Also look into rinseless washes as those are done one panel at a time and won’t leave you with spots.

MarkD51
09-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Here!

Minerals. Given enough time, your car would look like this, Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (https://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm)

MarkD51
09-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Your dishwasher has a product in it to help it dry with no spots.
For the car you’d need deionized water. CR Spotless is one brand but there are others out there.
The sun makes the water evaporate fast and leaves behind whatever was mixed with it, like calcium and whatnot. Those are the spots you see.
Washing in the shade gets you more time to dry without spotting. Also look into rinseless washes as those are done one panel at a time and won’t leave you with spots.

That product in Dish Soap is probably Silicones. Yeah, see your face in the reflection shine like one commercial used to tout. Joy perhaps?

PaulMys
09-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Have you tried a rinse less wash?

They contain water softeners, and you only wash one panel at a time, then dry.

This definitely helps with the water spot problems. :)

FUNX650
09-12-2019, 07:54 PM
In a condensed version:
•It’s just Physics at work.

In a more wordy version:
•Water is a liquid.

•Liquids will evaporate.

•When water, that contains minerals, evaporates
from surfaces, it leaves all of that mineral content
behind in the form of a whitish residue; aka: Spotting.

-I’ve noticed that the longer the spotting
sits on the surface, usually the harder it
is to remove.

-And to add insult to injury:
If this spotting is further exposed to a thermal
source, such as the Sun, the spotting can then
become etched into the paint surface: a ‘Damage
of Consequence’ not to be taken lightly.

Bob

keithonroll
09-30-2019, 10:04 AM
The spots on car would be due to water hardness in water. The minerals dissolved in the water remain stuck to the car paint surface causing the spot to appear. The use of soft water eliminates this problem for good.

2black1s
09-30-2019, 11:10 AM
The reason your dishes come out without water spots is from the additives in the dish soap. It is for that reason that I do not use dish soap on the majority of my dishes/glasses. I don't want to be eating/drinking those additives. Washing dishes/glasses in really hot water without using any dish soap is usually a better option in my opinion.

Obviously some cooking utensils are so greasy that dish soap may be necessary, but then I rinse the #### out of them. Maybe even to the point that some would call obsessively.