PDA

View Full Version : BM streaked badly, fixed with BF One Step

chinee
09-08-2019, 01:32 PM
A couple of months ago, I applied BM to my wife's '17 black Taurus so see how the BM would perform. It's been doing fine, and with the frequent showers in South Florida, the car's been staying relatively clean. So after 2 months, I decide to wash it last night, and the BM is still beading up nicely, I like what I'm seeing. The wife ran a quick errand (air-drying) and I decided to refresh the BM afterwards, using the BM as a quick detailer. This morning I see the hood all swirly with the BM (not scratches). So I spray some more on attempting to "buff" through the imperfections... whoa... it got much worse.

I was incredibly surprised at how badly the BM streaked. I can only think that the hood wasn't cooled down enough when I applied it last night. The rest of the car is glossy and clean, only the hood streaked up.

I had no choice but to break out the GG6 and BF One Step. Wow... it worked wonders. The One Step is the only product on there now, and I'm thinking of whether to top it or leave it alone. I won't be purchasing any other products, my choice of toppers would be either BM or BSD (now diluted 50:50 with distilled water). I also have MK37 Hydro Blue Sio2 coating.

Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/yarkk6W1SAo

https://youtu.be/hlPDuRaOKMA

https://youtu.be/NcuweeA-yVo

Mike Phillips
09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Interesting videos that do a great job of showing the film on the paint. It shows BM to really work, that is really lay down a layer of protection.

Just to note - this same thing is taking place on white and other light colored car paint - it's your eyes cannot see it as easily.

A couple of months ago, I applied BM to my wife's '17 black Taurus so see how the BM would perform. It's been doing fine, and with the frequent showers in South Florida, the car's been staying relatively clean. So after 2 months, I decide to wash it last night, and the BM is still beading up nicely, I like what I'm seeing. The wife ran a quick errand (air-drying) and I decided to refresh the BM afterwards, using the BM as a quick detailer. This morning I see the hood all swirly with the BM (not scratches). So I spray some more on attempting to "buff" through the imperfections... whoa... it got much worse.

I was incredibly surprised at how badly the BM streaked. I can only think that the hood wasn't cooled down enough when I applied it last night. The rest of the car is glossy and clean, only the hood streaked up.

While the hood is different in that it gets all the heat from the engine, I'd say the real culprit is product build-up. In a way that's a good thing as it shows the product is really working. By the word working I mean, it is advertised to seal the paint and the build-up does in fact show that it is BONDING and sealing the paint. The problem with this is that over time you do get a build-up.

Lesson to learn

In the old days, if you used a NON-cleaning wax over and over again, you would get a build-up of wax on your car. This build-up would not only include the non-cleaning wax but it would also seal-in or lock-in any and all dirt on the paint and road film that builds up on the paint. It was called,

A wax build-up

Sure your paint was protected, but you couldn't see the true color or clarity of the paint due to the build-up. So periodically, a person would use a paint cleaner or a polish or a cleaner/wax to remove the wax build-up and restore a factory looking appearance.

This same type of build-up can happen with anything that does not offer any cleaning ability. You are in fact layering. And while layering always sounds like a good idea, in most cases from what I've seen over the years, layering leads to a clouding looking finish.

Here's the reality,

Nothing looks as good as a freshly waxed car.

You can update that saying by stating it this way,

Nothing looks as good as a freshly sealanted car. (applying a synthetic sealant instead of wax)

You can further update this saying by stating it this way,

Nothing looks as good as a freshly coated car. (installing, or re-installing a ceramic paint coating)

Nothing wrong with using a non-cleaning product from any brand, heck we sell tons of these types of product, just be educated enough to understand at some point, you need to STRIP everything off and get back to a fresh clean base of paint. The start over sealing the paint with your favorite sealer.

:)

Mike Phillips
09-09-2019, 08:04 AM
And this relates to this article I wrote about letting a coating go un-altered for years on your car's finish if the car is a daily driver.

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/119815-case-against-multi-year-ceramic-paint-coatings-road-grime-surface-staining-daily-drivers-mike-phillips.html)

Here's an example of impacted dirt and/or road film on paint. This fender was wiped clean using a waterless wash. Any LOOSE dirt was removed. What remained was impacted onto the surface. The surface is paint but it's also whatever you put on the paint to protect it be it a wax, a synthetic sealant or a ceramic paint coating.

Only machine polishing will remove the impacted dirt AND any layers of wax, synthetic sealant or ceramic paint coating to get back to a clean layer of paint. This restores clarity to the clearcoat and the full richness of color.

The front side of this fender was machine polished the back half shows impacted dirt and/or road film

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1854/1955_Chevy_Sedan_Delivery_010.jpg

:)

chinee
09-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Aaaaah....

I saw the streaks and specks and could not understand what had happened. I think I’m now beginning to.

I cleaned and coated the Taurus 60 days ago with BM and had not washed the car since. In that time, road dirt and grime settled onto the surface of the BM and likely bonded with the BM. With a quick hand wash on Saturday, and a hasty quick detail with BM, I simply placed another layer of BM on top of the contaminants, and with the warm hod, really cooked it in between the layers. The heat likely caused most of the streaking as well.

But even if I had let the car cool overnight, I would have still simply layered another coat of BM on top of the existing contaminants, but I might not have gotten the intense streaking. I think the heat from the warm hood was a substantial aggravating factor, since the sides of the car took a second coat of BM without any trouble.

Thanks for the feedback Mike... very, very helpful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
09-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Aaaaah....

I saw the streaks and specks and could not understand what had happened. I think I’m now beginning to.

Build up can come with any brand of non-cleaning product. I myself have to avoid it with some product I use on our cars.

Here's what's funny to me,

In the OLD DAYS it was called a Wax Build-up. It was known and understood to be a BAD THING.

Then when Zaino came along, we changed the words to

Layering

And a build-up became a GOOD THING.

:laughing:

Belo
09-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Aaaaah....

I cleaned and coated the Taurus 60 days ago with BM and had not washed the car since. In that time, road dirt and grime settled onto the surface of the BM and likely bonded with the BM. With a quick hand wash on Saturday, and a hasty quick detail with BM, I simply placed another layer of BM on top of the contaminants, and with the warm hod, really cooked it in between the layers. The heat likely caused most of the streaking as well.

But even if I had let the car cool overnight, I would have still simply layered another coat of BM on top of the existing contaminants, but I might not have gotten the intense streaking. I think the heat from the warm hood was a substantial aggravating factor, since the sides of the car took a second coat of BM without any trouble.

Thanks for the feedback Mike... very, very helpful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i never got the impression that BM was a long term protection, i know you didn't mean to use the term coated literally with regards to car detailing, but I would not have thought of it is a 60 day LSP. In any case, the fact that contaminants bonded to it make me never want to try it. mckees 10 minute or other spray and seals have not had this problem and deliver similar results.