PDA

View Full Version : Damaged anodized bronzed wheels

Maestro Sam
09-06-2019, 01:33 AM
Have a question guys. I coated my clients anodized bronzed volks wheels with gtechniq c5 ceramic coating a month ago. The client then takes it to a handwash shop and later found out that his wheels were stained and his valve stem colors were stained as well. I know for a fact that you should never use harsh chemicals on anodized wheels but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked). I just got some pictures today from the client so please chime on what you think happened at that shop. The owner will bring his car today for me to look at. Here is a picture of the aftermath.

Mike Phillips
09-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Have a question guys. I coated my clients anodized bronzed volks wheels with gtechniq c5 ceramic coating a month ago.

The client then takes it to a handwash shop and later found out that his wheels were stained and his valve stem colors were stained as well.

I know for a fact that you should never use harsh chemicals on anodized wheels but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked).

I just got some pictures today from the client so please chime on what you think happened at that shop. The owner will bring his car today for me to look at. Here is a picture of the aftermath.

In most cases I would say Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor would protect most wheels from chemical attack. That said, no one should be using harsh chemicals on wheels simply because they are not "coated".

The exception to the rule is anodizing. I've worked on a LOT of things in my life that are anodized. Including one of my artificial legs. It was anodized gold.

From this thread,

Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials - Know and trust who's teaching your class (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/autogeek-roadshow-detailing-classes/122971-mike-phillips-detail-training-credentials-know-trust-whos-teaching-your-class.html)

See the lower knee unit? That's aluminum that is anodized gold.

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/MikePhillips.jpg

Here's the deal, anodizing is a treatment performed to aluminum where the anodizing is IN the aluminum, not ON the aluminum. Aluminum is POROUS, the anodizing treatment does NOT seal the surface of the aluminum, it remains porous.

Thus if someone uses ANYTHING that is not safe for polished aluminum on anodized aluminum, it's going to stain it. And worse - to undo the damage will cost more than the wheel is worth. The ONLY way to fix stained anodized aluminum is to de-anodize it, that's an acid bath, and then re-anodize it. During the acid bath, some of the aluminum is eaten away.

I will say that what I wrote above is my first hand experience, (yes I have had parts de-anodized and re-anodized), BUT recently I removed staining from anodized aluminum trim on a Volkswagen using

BLACKFIRE One Step
RUPES Nano in rotary mode with a 1" microfiber pad
2 hours of solid buffing

:)

Mike Phillips
09-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Also - Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor is good stuff. I use it myself.

I have never seen it stain anything.

:)

FUNX650
09-06-2019, 11:31 AM
The owner will bring his car today
for me to look at.

Sure, take a look.

But I don’t see how you could be held
liable/responsible for the wheels being
damaged—brought about by the hand
wash shop’s inappropriate selection of
harsh cleaning chemicals.
(The client’s description, not mine.)

wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains
on the wheels from harsh chemicals (was the
question my client asked).

Even a substantial Wheel Coating, such as
Gtechniq C5, is not a bulletproof forcefield.

Bob

TTQ B4U
09-06-2019, 11:01 PM
but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked).

Nope. Coatings are great but they are far from fool-proof. The responsibility here with this situation lies with whoever sprayed the harsh cleaner on them.