PDA

View Full Version : Diving in! Shopping list critique.

kchris
09-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a couple quick questions. Grabbed a new (to my my wife and I) 2015 Volvo XC60 SUV. Looking to dive in to some paint correction, with practicing on my car first before I touch hers and my father's 2018 Subaru Outback. I will also be attempting my first coatings with both of these vehicles. Both vehicles will be outside in damn near 24/7 in St. Louis weather, thought I'd add that in as well.

Her paint doesn't look in too terrible of a condition or the interior. I was compiling a list of products for both the Volvo and Subaru. So, please critique the list with suggestions for adding or subtracting things. Trying to hop on this 25% off sale ASAP! Haha.

I already have Iron-X, Collinite 845, clay bars, I'm going to use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus at QD ratio for the clay bar, and I still Aerospace 303 for the dash and such.

List:
Porter Cable 7424XP - Depending on what package with pads, I'll buy more pads separately. Looking at the 3D Porter Cable Package
5 LC Flat Orange
5 LC Flat White
2 LC Flat Black

3D HD Speed
3D HD Polish

Cquartz UK Edition 3.0 Reload Kit
CarPro Eraser

McKee's Leather Shampoo 70/30
McKee's Leather Conditioner (Or McKee's Leather Guard UV50, Can't decide which)

A bunch of Gold Plush Microfiber
Microfiber applicator sponge (For McKee's leather)
Horsehair brush (For leather)

Billy Baldone
09-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Swap out the Porter Cable with the Griot's 6" DA plus 5" backing plate. Get rid of the HD speed. No need for an all in one if coating. Also ditch the polish. Go with Gyeon compound/ polish or CarPro compound/Essence

Billy Baldone
09-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Or Sonax compound/04/06 polish

UncleDavy
09-02-2019, 03:26 PM
You have some great products there. 3D HD is a great low dusting polish that is easy to remove. The Porter Cable 7424XP is a great starter machine and it will serve you well. You may want to upgrade one day. You may also want to add some LC flat yellow pads for more correction.

kchris
09-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Thank you three for your suggestions on polishes and compounds.

I just realized I put in HD Speed, which I do know I won't need if I am putting on a coating, due to the fact the coating will not adhere to the HD Speed.

Why do you choose compounds such as Gyeon, CarPro, or Sonax? I just have heard great things about the 3D line of products, and I know I've read about other compounds as well. So, I know I'll keep those in mind.

UncleDavy
09-02-2019, 03:41 PM
I missed that about the HD Speed. Stick with HD Cut and HD Polish+.

kchris
09-02-2019, 03:46 PM
I looked for HD Cut and doesn't look like it exists here anymore. How is the 3D AAT Cutting compound in comparison?

Billy Baldone
09-02-2019, 03:47 PM
I have used all mentioned. I het mediocre results with HD products co.pared to the other 3. Plus HD stains your pads. Its not necessary to make a product that stains

UncleDavy
I looked for HD Cut and doesn't look like it exists here anymore. How is the 3D AAT Cutting compound in comparison?
HD is now 3D so it should be the same product.

kchris
I have used all mentioned. I het mediocre results with HD products co.pared to the other 3. Plus HD stains your pads. Its not necessary to make a product that stains

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

The Guz
09-02-2019, 03:54 PM
You are going to get a lot of recommendations on products to use.

I made a similar post on another thread similar to this.

Compounds: Sonax Cut Max (diminishing abrasive), Meguiar's M110 (non-diminishing abrasive aka SMAT), 3D ACA

Polishes: Sonax Perfect Finish, Sonax EX 04-06, Optimum Hyper Polish, Meguiar's 210 (if you choose to stay with the Megs twins)

Compounding polishes: 3D One, Sonax Cut & Finish

I list a compound because you never know if you need one until you do a test spot.

If you are going with CQUK the Essence pairs nicely with it. It is not required to use the coating. It is a primer polish. I would also add to get yourself some Gliss and use that instead of Reload that comes in the kit.

SWETM
09-02-2019, 04:22 PM
How is the defects on the paint of the Volvo XC 60?

If you have a lot of swirls I would grab a compound and some mf cutting pads or even some wool pads for a DA polisher. Or you might notice that you will be compounding 2 times with a less aggressive combo. Since they can have pretty hard paints Volvos.

Sonax Cutmax or 3D ACA for compounds
Sonax Cut & Finish or 3D One medium cut polish
Sonax Perfect Finish or EX 04-06 or/and Carpro Essence

Sonax Perfect Finish and Carpro Essence can be usefull if you have a finicky paint on the Subaru or sticky paint as it can be called sometimes.

LC Low Lint Wool Pads or LC Purple Foamed Wool Pads or B&S Uro-Wool is suited for DA polishers. Especially with a 8mm free spinning DA polisher you can be needed to be useing a more aggressive compound and pad combo on harder paints. You might also be considering the Griots Garage 6" polisher with a 5" backing plate on it and 5" or 5.5" pads. It's a notch more powerfull electric motor in it than the PC XP polisher.