PDA

View Full Version : Sonax PNS without polishing first?

nap3p
09-01-2019, 06:57 PM
I realize the ideal process would be to polish first, but I'm new to DA polishing and need to get a little more experience with it before taking it to my car. Is there any major problems with washing, Iron X, clay, wash, and then apply PNS?

This is on a daily driver that already has some swirls and micro marring so I don't really anticipate making things much worse with claying (nanoskin fine mitt) and not polishing. I'd like to apply the PNS now to get some protection on it while gaining some experience with the DA. Then in a couple months repeat the process but add a polishing step to correct the swirls/marring.

JHForman
09-01-2019, 06:58 PM
in to see others replies on this, I think if your paint is good enough you could go on to PNS without a polish but im new so I don't know the for sure answer

boosteddub69
09-01-2019, 07:20 PM
I realize the ideal process would be to polish first, but I'm new to DA polishing and need to get a little more experience with it before taking it to my car. Is there any major problems with washing, Iron X, clay, wash, and then apply PNS?

This is on a daily driver that already has some swirls and micro marring so I don't really anticipate making things much worse with claying (nanoskin fine mitt) and not polishing. I'd like to apply the PNS now to get some protection on it while gaining some experience with the DA. Then in a couple months repeat the process but add a polishing step to correct the swirls/marring.

There's nothing wrong with what you want to do here. You will get the benefits of protection and a little shine but obviously it won't look its best without the correction/polishing. As long as you know that, then go for it.

FUNX650
09-01-2019, 09:12 PM
I realize the ideal process would be
to polish first...

Is there any major problems with washing,
Iron X, clay, wash, and then apply PNS?

None whatsoever, IMO.

In fact:
Before automotive Clay was invented; and
way before a consumer’s version of an iron
removal product was available; and buffing
paint (with rotary polishers) was mostly
relegated to the body-shop domains...

Millions upon tens of millions of vehicles were,
first, just washed and dried; and then had a
layer/coat of an LSP unceremoniously applied.

And the World still kept right on a-turning.

Bob

bofh
09-02-2019, 11:19 AM
What you will sacrifice by not polishing first is longevity of the coating. It just won't last as long, but yeah don't hesitate to use it anyway.

And also: give that DA polisher a try! Watch some videos, grab a finishing polish, squirt it on the pad, and give it a try. There's very very little harm you can do to a modern (clear coat) car and a finishing polish. After, you'll see an improvement and the deeper defects might really start to bug you, and you'll find yourself suddenly ready for some correcting.

ducksfan
09-02-2019, 01:25 PM
I've used the product and my experience is it has the best longevity over an unimproved surface of all the wipe on type sealants I've used.

If you want a hybrid approach, use your DA to do 2 quick passes on the horizontal surfaces with a polish. The paint cleaner in the polish will do a good job of prepping these panels that get the most UV.