PDA

View Full Version : aquapel and water spots

JHForman
09-01-2019, 06:43 PM
So i have a brand new truck, the day i got home with it i cleaned the windows and sealed them with aquapel hoping to avoid hard water spots, I am still getting them, the sealant appears to bead water like crazy but i still get the water spots? Anyone got any solutions for this? also what glass cleaner does everyone prefer? I bought the griots glass cleaner and IMO its garbage, I can never get the windows clean, and the windows have a haze on them and it drives me nuts. im looking for help here.

Thanks,
John

UncleDavy
09-01-2019, 07:49 PM
You may want to try to clay and polish the windshield to remove contaminants and water spots. Then try the Aquapel or Griots sealant.

JHForman
09-01-2019, 08:03 PM
You may want to try to clay and polish the windshield to remove contaminants and water spots. Then try the Aquapel or Griots sealant.

Again? I thought aquapel lasted longer than a month? I treated the windows the day I brought the truck home

UncleDavy
09-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Did you clay and polish first? I have been using Aquapel and Griots sealant for years and never had a problem. For me the Aquapel lasts 6 months and the Griots lasts about 3 months.

JHForman
09-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Did you clay and polish first? I have been using Aquapel and Griots sealant for years and never had a problem. For me the Aquapel lasts 6 months and the Griots lasts about 3 months.

brand new glass, never been washed, did it need to be clay bar first? the glass was spotless when I picked it up and the plastic bag method showed no contaminants on windows literally I ordered the truck, flew to Baltimore picked it up(told dealer not to wash it), drove home(600 miles no rain), woke up the next day, cleaned the windows with windex and applied aquapel all this happened on 7/20. this was the first thing I did when I got the truck home.

Jayfro
09-01-2019, 08:24 PM

This will probably do the trick! I've done this on both cars and just did it on my glass shower today with great results. I used the Blackfire clay mitt, scrubbed pretty hard with body soap too then used Pinnacle Polish (yes I used the DA in the shower, water was off!), and finished with Pinnacle GlassCoat.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JHForman
09-01-2019, 08:28 PM
This will probably do the trick! I've done this on both cars and just did it on my glass shower today with great results. I used the Blackfire clay mitt, scrubbed pretty hard with body soap too then used Pinnacle Polish (yes I used the DA in the shower, water was off!), and finished with Pinnacle GlassCoat.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

again, the truck already has aquapel on it are you guys saying start over? its only been on there for a month.

this was the first rain after applying aquapel I was initially impressed

PaulMys
09-01-2019, 08:52 PM
brand new glass, never been washed,............. cleaned the windows with windex

I'll bet that this might be the culprit.

I have never had success with Windex on my house windows, bathroom mirrors, or anything else. I have never tried it on my vehicles, and never will. I think it is a terrible product.

Also, the "brand new glass" on your truck most likely has many contaminates on it. It was probably shipped to the original dealer by rail.

That will add a nice little layer of fine rail dust (iron) onto an already dirt-caked windshield. Most glass cleaners, (and certainly not Widex) are ill-equipped to remove this.

Start over and polish out the glass as stated above.

You have been given some good advise from some great forum members here. :)

JHForman
09-01-2019, 09:08 PM
I'll bet that this might be the culprit.

I have never had success with Windex on my house windows, bathroom mirrors, or anything else. I have never tried it on my vehicles, and never will. I think it is a terrible product.

Also, the "brand new glass" on your truck most likely has many contaminates on it. It was probably shipped to the original dealer by rail.

That will add a nice little layer of fine rail dust (iron) onto an already dirt-caked windshield. Most glass cleaners, (and certainly not Widex) are ill-equipped to remove this.

Start over and polish out the glass as stated above.

You have been given some good advise from some great forum members here. :)

ok well windex seems to work better than the griots glass stuff I bought. what should I be buying? it leaves a haze on the all the windows and mirrors. also funny you mention the rail dust, I did iron x on the entire truck yesterday and only had 3 red lines show up so not much rail dust was present. I wanted to see the nasty red mess you see in pictures but was also happy to see it wasn't full of it either.

UncleDavy
09-01-2019, 09:11 PM
brand new glass, never been washed, did it need to be clay bar first? the glass was spotless when I picked it up and the plastic bag method showed no contaminants on windows literally I ordered the truck, flew to Baltimore picked it up(told dealer not to wash it), drove home(600 miles no rain), woke up the next day, cleaned the windows with windex and applied aquapel all this happened on 7/20. this was the first thing I did when I got the truck home.

Brand new glass can be very dirty from the factory and also during transport. Windex is also not a very good glass cleaner for auto glass since it is ammonia based. Invisible Glass is a better choice.

PaulMys
09-01-2019, 09:14 PM
ok well windex seems to work better than the griots glass stuff I bought. what should I be buying? it leaves a haze on the all the windows and mirrors. also funny you mention the rail dust, I did iron x on the entire truck yesterday and only had 3 red lines show up so not much rail dust was present. I wanted to see the nasty red mess you see in pictures but was also happy to see it wasn't full of it either.

Iron-X on top of the aquapel?

Yeah, that might have masked some of the contamination. (Shown)

But if you are dead set on the Windex, go ahead with it if works for you.

JHForman
09-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Iron-X on top of the aquapel?

Yeah, that might have masked some of the contamination. (Shown)

But if you are dead set on the Windex, go ahead with it if works for you.

no no I guess I typed that badly, I did not apply the iron x to the glass only the paint, I was worried about ruining the aquapel that I already spent the money/time on. on the paint only 3 spots turned red. Im not dead set on windex, im just saying its worked way better than the griots stuff I bought(wasted money on).

SWETM
09-01-2019, 11:44 PM
If I'm not totaly wrong the ammonia based window cleaner can cause such a bad reaction that people have seen smoke when they have applyied Aquapel afterwards. Ammonia is in the strong oxidze chemicals that you often see not to blend with most detailing products. Not that you did blend it. But even the slightest left residue of Windex can cause a bad application of Aquapel and most other sealants too. The other part you mentioned that you have what we call ghosting from when you use the wiper blades and that's basicly hazing from them. This is also a good sign that something happened with your application. Know it's not certain that the Windex is the problem. As it also could be that you didn't get all of the residue off from the Aquapel. Or that you had a humid conditions so it where cureing in a not so great way. Is it on the Aquapel applyied windows you have a problem with the GG Glass Cleaner?

If you have the ghosting from Aquapel. That's when you see a haze after the wiper blades. Then it's something in the application. And don't feel to bad about as I have seen experienced user of Aquapel getting this from time to time. Often that's when applyied it in the evening and the dew came in and it's not even visual when it starts to do so. And some can experience this when washed where they did also applyied Aquapel afterwards. So it's sensitive to humidity and also just a droplet of water the Aquapel applicator picks up. As it seems not to be water soluble and that any kind of water is not so good during application. Also staying out of the direct sunlight and a cool to the touch glass when you apply. Otherwise it's cures very fast and it cures fast as it is. My recommendation is to apply it in the morning when the sun has been up for some time and in the shade if you work outside. If applying in the garage just make sure that it's not so much of humidity in there and you can do it at anytime.

For prep when you have gotten a bad application it's smart to do as you have been recommended. Use an abrasive glass polish on the windows where you are removing the Aquapel. Then you can use a great alcohol based glass cleaner as a panel prep wipe product to get the polishing oils off from the glass polish. Or a dedicated panel prep wipe product to get the glass squeeqe clean before Aquapel application. This prep is recommended to be doing even if you go with another glass sealant or coating.

For an example the Carpro FlyBy 30 windshield and glass coating kit. You see they include the glass polish CeriGlass and the panel prep wipe product Eraser in their kit. And you can ad a Carpro Rayon Glass Polishing pad for polisher if you have that. Carpro CeriGlass can be bought on it's own and as in the coating kit the hand polishing block included. The FlyBy 30 coating kit I saw you have a very good price for if you count in what you get in the kit. Think IIRC that in Sweden it's double of the price you get it for here.

CarPro FlyBy30 Windshield & Glass Coating Kit (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-flyby30-glass-coating.html)

CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-kit.html)

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-rayon-glass-polishing-pad.html)

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass cutting pad (https://www.autogeek.net/scratch-removal-on-car-glass.html)

/ Tony

JHForman
09-02-2019, 01:43 AM
If I'm not totaly wrong the ammonia based window cleaner can cause such a bad reaction that people have seen smoke when they have applyied Aquapel afterwards. Ammonia is in the strong oxidze chemicals that you often see not to blend with most detailing products. Not that you did blend it. But even the slightest left residue of Windex can cause a bad application of Aquapel and most other sealants too. The other part you mentioned that you have what we call ghosting from when you use the wiper blades and that's basicly hazing from them. This is also a good sign that something happened with your application. Know it's not certain that the Windex is the problem. As it also could be that you didn't get all of the residue off from the Aquapel. Or that you had a humid conditions so it where cureing in a not so great way. Is it on the Aquapel applyied windows you have a problem with the GG Glass Cleaner?

If you have the ghosting from Aquapel. That's when you see a haze after the wiper blades. Then it's something in the application. And don't feel to bad about as I have seen experienced user of Aquapel getting this from time to time. Often that's when applyied it in the evening and the dew came in and it's not even visual when it starts to do so. And some can experience this when washed where they did also applyied Aquapel afterwards. So it's sensitive to humidity and also just a droplet of water the Aquapel applicator picks up. As it seems not to be water soluble and that any kind of water is not so good during application. Also staying out of the direct sunlight and a cool to the touch glass when you apply. Otherwise it's cures very fast and it cures fast as it is. My recommendation is to apply it in the morning when the sun has been up for some time and in the shade if you work outside. If applying in the garage just make sure that it's not so much of humidity in there and you can do it at anytime.

For prep when you have gotten a bad application it's smart to do as you have been recommended. Use an abrasive glass polish on the windows where you are removing the Aquapel. Then you can use a great alcohol based glass cleaner as a panel prep wipe product to get the polishing oils off from the glass polish. Or a dedicated panel prep wipe product to get the glass squeeqe clean before Aquapel application. This prep is recommended to be doing even if you go with another glass sealant or coating.

For an example the Carpro FlyBy 30 windshield and glass coating kit. You see they include the glass polish CeriGlass and the panel prep wipe product Eraser in their kit. And you can ad a Carpro Rayon Glass Polishing pad for polisher if you have that. Carpro CeriGlass can be bought on it's own and as in the coating kit the hand polishing block included. The FlyBy 30 coating kit I saw you have a very good price for if you count in what you get in the kit. Think IIRC that in Sweden it's double of the price you get it for here.

CarPro FlyBy30 Windshield & Glass Coating Kit (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-flyby30-glass-coating.html)

CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-kit.html)

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-rayon-glass-polishing-pad.html)

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass cutting pad (https://www.autogeek.net/scratch-removal-on-car-glass.html)

/ Tony

Ok the carpro ceriglass kit has been purchased along with another 6 of aquapel, ill try this again. I remember when applying the aquapel seeing a smoke coming off the glass, I really didn't think much about it at the time till I read your reply.

SWETM
09-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Ok the carpro ceriglass kit has been purchased along with another 6 of aquapel, ill try this again. I remember when applying the aquapel seeing a smoke coming off the glass, I really didn't think much about it at the time till I read your reply.

Hehe yeah then you defently got a reaction with the ammonia residue. Use a alcohol based glass cleaner which most automobile ones are or the Eraser or another panel prep wipe product. To be certain that you have a squeeqe clean window before the application of Aquapel.

When you pop the Aquapel have it against the window. And when you do the windshield you start on the drivers side. Spread it out kind of fast. And if you notice it's thinning out of product on the passenger side you can go back to the driver side and pick up some more product from there and back to the passenger side again. I have gotten the tips on when you have spread it out on both sides. You go back to the driver side and follow the wiper blades movement on the window and then go over to the passenger side again and follow the wiper blades movement on there too. Then you get an insurance that you have properly coverage on those parts and maybe a little extra build up of the Aquapel on those parts which has the most wear on them from the wiper blades. Use a low nap or short loop nap mf towel to buff it off first and a second mf towel to buff off any residue left by the Aquapel.

Hope you get a more satisfied application this time around. And as I mentioned it's not uncommon to get that irritating ghosting from the Aquapel application. If you are going to be doing an older car. Make sure that you buy a new set of wiper blades. I would say if they are more than 6 months old the wiper blades I would get a new set of them. They can get some harden rubber spots on the blade from the wear and tear. This makes it to wear down the Aquapel or any glass sealant or coating faster than needed. The glass on it's own is very grabby and kind of abrasive. So it's good to be starting over with new wiper blades I think.

Report back how it went for you.

/ Tony