PDA

View Full Version : Wheels-ceramic coating re-apply question

dlefty
09-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Had great performance from gTechniq C5 Wheel armor ceramic wheel coating on a new set of wheels this year. I applied in the spring, and am planning to apply again next spring. I wanted to start planning, and not much info specific to wheels out there. To those that apply wheel coatings yearly, is it ok just to apply after a thorough wash and decontamination and prep with Eraser? Or are you doing a light polish to 100% clean up any old coating still on wheel?

The Guz
09-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Chemical and mechanical decon, followed by polishing, prep wipe an re-coat.

Klasse Act
09-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Just throwing this out there. I don't use a ceramic coating on my wheels but I think this would apply to those who do. Once coated with your designated coating and down the road, couldn't you just use something like IronX, once in a while and use Brake Buster to clean them on a regular basis? In between yearly coatings couldn't you just use something like 303 Touchless sealant or a watered down Meg's HCW to boost it up a bit, cheap and easy insurance IMO.

THIUGHTS[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

spazzz
09-01-2019, 02:01 PM
I have UK3 on mine and use Ech20/Reload as a drying aid.

Rsurfer
09-01-2019, 02:51 PM
I have UK3 on mine and use Ech20/Reload as a drying aid.

On your wheels??

The Guz
09-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Just throwing this out there. I don't use a ceramic coating on my wheels but I think this would apply to those who do. Once coated with your designated coating and down the road, couldn't you just use something like IronX, once in a while and use Brake Buster to clean them on a regular basis? In between yearly coatings couldn't you just use something like 303 Touchless sealant or a watered down Meg's HCW to boost it up a bit, cheap and easy insurance IMO.

THIUGHTS[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sure. The thing is a wheel cleaner is not often needed for coated wheels. A chemical decon is a good idea. The thing about those spray and rise products is that they tend to attract more dirt compared to just the coating itself.

On your wheels??

CQUK works pretty darn good as a wheel coating. Sometimes better than DLUX.

Rsurfer
09-01-2019, 07:01 PM
CQUK works pretty darn good as a wheel coating. Sometimes better than DLUX.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Ech2o and Reload as a drying aid on your wheels.

I've used Echo2o with Reload to clean my Dlux coated wheels, but to use it as a drying aid is a little over kill IMO.

The Guz
09-01-2019, 08:11 PM
CQUK works pretty darn good as a wheel coating. Sometimes better than DLUX.

I was referring to Ech2o and Reload as a drying aid on your wheels.

I've used Echo2o with Reload to clean my Dlux coated wheels, but to use it as a drying aid is a little over kill IMO.[/QUOTE]

Eh I don’t think it matters. I’ve used Elixir on wheels as a drying aid as well.

dlefty
09-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Interesting last 2 summers:

Specific to these 2 sets of wheels is no winters, no rain, 4,000 miles per year.

Last year, coated in Gyeon wheel coating, a set of wheels with gloss black lips and barrels with matte black faces. Used Iron X occasionally, but stuck mainly to car wash soap and appropriate brushes which included Incredibrush Flat. TONS of unremovable water spots on the faces, and lots of light surface marring on lips and barrels.

This year, new set of wheel in a brushed black tint finish with GTechniq C5, no Iron X used on them, just my car wash soap and Microfiber Madness Incredibrush, blow dry, then final wipe with microfiber full of BeadMaker. Wheels are still looking PERFECT.

So I’m curious if the matte finish responds different to coatings, not well, if the Iron X was too harsh, if the BeadMaker is really helping ceramic not water spot, is the GTechniq superior to the Gyeon wheel, was the Gyeon more susceptible to marring? Maybe a combination of all? Who knows, but much happier with my current process and products used.