PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars 205 by hand - scratches??

charlestek
08-29-2019, 04:32 PM
I happened to be playing around with Langka blob eliminator on a few slightly deep scratches on my driver's door.

It appeared that the blob eliminator caused some fine scratches into the finish, so I tried some M205 to clear this out
by hand, but it only seemed to make more fine microscratches. Since I had intended to polish my car soon with a Griot's DA,
using M205/M105, this makes me now feel uncomfortable that M205 is going to finish down to a glossy finish(black car)

I wound up using some scratch-x by hand to remove the fine haze from the M205 application. Is there a possibility that using M205
by hand is problematic???

Mike Phillips
08-29-2019, 04:44 PM
What did you use for an applicator?

:)

vobro
08-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Well 205 is known to be finicky on soft black but can also be the technique one uses when hand polishing. Most of us have a tendency to "scrub" or apply a lot of pressure with our finger tips that can haze up the paint. Since you have it I'd say give it a shot during your test spot and see how it does with the da

charlestek
08-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Mike,

I used a regular grade Meguiars gold microfiber cloth. I have many more plush microfiber towels, but was trying not to have to re-wash my extra good stuff. I should also mention that I didn't really wad the towel into a small square, so I'm sure I was using much more fingertip pressure over a small area then I should be. The scratch-x did clean up the scratches however with some mild fingertip wiping through the cloth.

FUNX650
08-29-2019, 05:02 PM
I’ve never ever have had that happen
when I use M205.

•I’m thinking two things:
1.) Did you polish ‘long enough’?
2.) Did you polish ‘clean enough’?

RE: #1:
Keep in mind that M205 has SMAT abrasives,
that do not break down like those in DAT;
which in turn gives M205 polish a long
working time. {Often it takes more than
just a few passes to correct paint blemishes,
all the while: not instilling more.

RE: #2:
Cleanliness is next to Godliness—even
when it comes to Detailing. Checking
pads, towels, products, etc. on a regular
basis for debris and other such contaminates
is a must, IMO.

Bob

charlestek
08-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Bob,

I washed the car a few days ago and had not driven anywhere. I used some Meguiars's quick detailer and then some RM wax and grease remover before working on the paint area. Yes indeed, I spent the minimum amount of polishing time I could as I did not want to abrade any more than necessary. The odd part is that Scratch-X has no problems with mild polishing with pressure from a few fingers under the cloth (Yes I see I did make a big mistake doing this, but the scratch x has something unique in it to make it foolproof)

Originally I was trying to remove the scratches the Lanka blob eliminator created. I think my blob eliminator needed thinning with water and was too pasty.

Mike Phillips
08-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Re-polish using clean foam applicator.

Fibers are abrasives -Mike Phillips

:)

charlestek
08-29-2019, 08:17 PM
I'm glad I found this out today. The microfiber towels I was using had been used and washed before with Micro Restore, but there is no telling if the individual fibers were less soft than normal.
However, the only foam applicators I have lying around other than foam for the DA are foam encased in fine blunt microfiber. I will have to look on Autogeek's store to find something suitable.

FUNX650
08-29-2019, 09:01 PM
I will have to look on Autogeek's store
to find something suitable.
These are what I use:
24 Pack Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator (https://www.autogeek.net/24pack.html)

Bob