PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine - after or before?

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Can this product be layered? Could I use a polish or wax underneath before applying it or should i put this on first?

Billy Baldone
08-29-2019, 12:25 PM
Maybe log on to the Turtle Wax Ice forum and ask there.

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Maybe log on to the Turtle Wax Ice forum and ask there.

On their website?

Billy Baldone
08-29-2019, 12:31 PM
I'm being sarcastic. Forum rules ask that you discuss product sold by AutoGeek.

rangerbay
08-29-2019, 12:40 PM
I think he was being sarcastic. Autogeek supplies this forum to discuss the products available thru their store.
It takes money and time to provide this for us, and all they ask in return is to keep discussions focused on the hundreds of products they sell.
To answer your questions, you can layer the seal and shine. I would not top it with anything

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 12:54 PM
I'm being sarcastic. Forum rules ask that you discuss product sold by AutoGeek.

Oh sorry! Whoops.

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 12:55 PM
I think he was being sarcastic. Autogeek supplies this forum to discuss the products available thru their store.
It takes money and time to provide this for us, and all they ask in return is to keep discussions focused on the hundreds of products they sell.
To answer your questions, you can layer the seal and shine. I would not top it with anything

Thank you I appreciate it. Sorry guys.

FUNX650
08-29-2019, 01:09 PM
@NJNinja:

Surely you’re not really thinking about
using this TW product on your own cars,
are you?

Isn’t there enough heartache & sorrow
in this life...without our adding to it?

:bolt:

Bob

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 01:33 PM
LOL! They hit a homerun with this one.

hooked
08-29-2019, 02:12 PM
If we talk on a general level, I’m not sure what you mean by a polish. To me, a polish is a chemical/abrasive product used to remove contaminants and defects from the paint and usually doesn’t include protection.

If that’s the case, I’d use the products in the following order:

- polish to strip the paint of contaminants and previously applied products
- sealant to adhere to the clean paint for protection
- wax to add more protection and improve the look of the sealant. Some people say wax gives a “warmer/natural” look to the paint whereas sealants look more plasticky.

Sealants are generally more tenacious at adhering to the paint, so you want to put that on first and then the wax is a sacrificial layer on top of that. If you apply the wax first, the sealant won’t stick as well and when the wax starts to degrade, the sealant will go with it. If you do it the other way, he wax might be gone, but the sealnat will still be there.

CleanIT
08-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Thanks hooked. I'm just going to layer it then and use it as a stand alone.

MattPersman
08-30-2019, 05:28 AM
On their website?

Thread has gone on so I’ll try to help

I think those who have used it have had no problem using it with the ice wax or detail spray

I used it with the wax with no ill effects

Like most products you get the behavior of the top coat

Works fine as a stand alone but gloss initially is lower than many products. After the first wash or the detail spray etc it is increased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWETM
08-30-2019, 07:21 AM
It's a PITA to apply in humid weather. And on just a prewashed and washed hood and roof. Applyied in high humidity as it started to rain directly after the SNS was applyied. I got 6 weeks out of it until it where completly failed as in zero beading. One thing that one got from his testing was if you where soon to play with the water behavior as in checking the hydrophobic caractics of it after application. The water behavior took a hughe hit from it. So let it cure for 24 hours and check out the weather forecast and if you want to have a longer longevity from it as in 4-5 months you need to be preping the paint thoroughly. I have given it another shot in better weather conditions and was way more easy to apply and wipe it off. And it has come some rain on it since and a much better water behavior from it. Have it side by side with Meguiars HCW know to see the difference between them. During the first application I applyied the new version of Gyeon Wet Coat on the other parts of the car. And it still beading and sheeting like the day 1 of application 8 weeks in. The SNS should have been out perform Wet Coat in longevity. But seems to be doing so only when it's a well preped paint as in polished or a paint cleaner was used. So I don't know if it will work great as topper since finding out this things about it. On it's own and also topped up on it self would be working great I think. Maybe you could get the ICE Spray Wax as a topper for it. But it's dirt cheap so I would just apply it over it self every month or every other month.

CleanIT
08-30-2019, 07:52 AM
It's a PITA to apply in humid weather. And on just a prewashed and washed hood and roof. Applyied in high humidity as it started to rain directly after the SNS was applyied. I got 6 weeks out of it until it where completly failed as in zero beading. One thing that one got from his testing was if you where soon to play with the water behavior as in checking the hydrophobic caractics of it after application. The water behavior took a hughe hit from it. So let it cure for 24 hours and check out the weather forecast and if you want to have a longer longevity from it as in 4-5 months you need to be preping the paint thoroughly. I have given it another shot in better weather conditions and was way more easy to apply and wipe it off. And it has come some rain on it since and a much better water behavior from it. Have it side by side with Meguiars HCW know to see the difference between them. During the first application I applyied the new version of Gyeon Wet Coat on the other parts of the car. And it still beading and sheeting like the day 1 of application 8 weeks in. The SNS should have been out perform Wet Coat in longevity. But seems to be doing so only when it's a well preped paint as in polished or a paint cleaner was used. So I don't know if it will work great as topper since finding out this things about it. On it's own and also topped up on it self would be working great I think. Maybe you could get the ICE Spray Wax as a topper for it. But it's dirt cheap so I would just apply it over it self every month or every other month.

Very informative thank you. I'll make sure I prep the paint well. I'll probably just apply it every month or so rather than put a spray wax on top. As you said it's so cheap.

CleanIT
08-31-2019, 03:51 PM
I found it easy to use. I'll be curious to see how the durability is. I like that you can use it on all plastics/glass and wheels. I don't detail much so this was new to me. :cheers: I will likely add wax on top of some sort for added durability.