PDA

View Full Version : Does my car have ceramic coating?

SlidinSidways
08-28-2019, 10:57 PM
So... I just bought a used corvette. Water is beading well. How can I tell if it is a good wax/sealant or a ceramic coating?

Goonie75
08-29-2019, 05:16 AM
So... I just bought a used corvette. Water is beading well. How can I tell if it is a good wax/sealant or a ceramic coating?Ask previous owner maybe? Can you 'tell' if its a candy jolly rancher look or warm look? Good question though. Some toppers to ceramic are crazy slick silicone based and slick and smooth like baby oil...

Ceramic just 'feels' hard and "shell-like' IMO...

Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

AutowerxDetailing
08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
If you do a full decontamination wash with something like the CarPro suite of decontamination chemicals (Spotless, BugOut, IronX, TarX) and the water is still beading -- you have a ceramic coated finish. If the water lays flat after all that you have just successfully chemically stripped off whatever protection was on there. I personally would not do this though. If you are already happy with the current state of your paintwork, especially with the performance of whatever protection is currently on there, I would just wait until the hydrophobic properties start to fade and then start thinking about what to do next.

SlidinSidways
08-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Probably good advice. Don’t know what else to do. I’ve been washing it with Duragloss 903 which has “shine enhancers” in the formula, which may diminish the hydrophobic properties of ceramic. If I knew that it was ceramic coated I would wash it with a pure shampoo.

I bought it from a dealer so I have no way of knowing who the previous owner is, unfortunately.

Mike Phillips
08-29-2019, 02:22 PM
If you do a full decontamination wash with something like the CarPro suite of decontamination chemicals (Spotless, BugOut, IronX, TarX) and the water is still beading -- you have a ceramic coated finish. If the water lays flat after all that you have just successfully chemically stripped off whatever protection was on there. I personally would not do this though. If you are already happy with the current state of your paintwork, especially with the performance of whatever protection is currently on there, I would just wait until the hydrophobic properties start to fade and then start thinking about what to do next.

Hi Nicholas,

The reason your Avatar doesn't show up and you probably have a messed up forum account is because you have the @ sign in your forum nickname.

This one,

@

If you let me know, I can remove it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just saw this.

:)

SlidinSidways
08-29-2019, 02:41 PM
The beading has diminished slightly, so I don’t know if it’s from the wax/sealant losing effectiveness or the Duragloss washes. I guess when beading stops I’ll do a chemical decon if no other suggestions.

AutowerxDetailing
08-29-2019, 04:43 PM
Hi Nicholas,

The reason your Avatar doesn't show up and you probably have a messed up forum account is because you have the @ sign in your forum nickname.

This one,

@

If you let me know, I can remove it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just saw this.

Mike, that would be fantastic! Is there a way I can change it to just "AutowerxDetailing" ? Everything got messed up one of the last times the forum updated and it has been really hard for me to keep track of threads I'm participating in ever since...

PaulMys
08-29-2019, 05:32 PM
The beading has diminished slightly, so I don’t know if it’s from the wax/sealant losing effectiveness or the Duragloss washes. I guess when beading stops I’ll do a chemical decon if no other suggestions.

You could machine polish the paint.

Then you can start with a clean slate. :)

SlidinSidways
08-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Right?!?! :laughing:

Mike Phillips
09-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Mike, that would be fantastic! Is there a way I can change it to just "AutowerxDetailing" ? Everything got messed up one of the last times the forum updated and it has been really hard for me to keep track of threads I'm participating in ever since...

I just made the change.

Will send you and e-mail to...

Sorry for the delay, a hurricane came through, hard to keep up.