PDA

View Full Version : First time polishing need suggestions

Newcarsmell
08-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Got my claybar, ironx, tarx, washing materials, da porter cable xp , wax foam pads, backing plates 5inch, wax and now need answers to following questions

1). What is a good polish to start with? I read from the book here that mild polish and least aggressive pad is good way to start to preserve clearcoat and that is what I'm aiming for and see what results i get.

2). I have a foam pad I got on here (i think its the red color one) and used for waxing but since if I'm gonna go least aggressive, would it be good to start polishing with this?

Let say I do least aggressive and then don't see much results but whole process taking quite long. I can put a wax or sealant on it and then do the process again next week or so right (using next aggressive polish etc)..

I got the special lights to see if swirl marks are removed and will be good indicator which polish / pads / technique works while preserving clearcoat

Meguiar's M20532 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish, 32 Fluid

was reading on here also someone posted line up of meguiars least aggressive too aggressive.. that has smat so maybe just go from that? can't go wrong with meguiars.. but any input will be great

PaulMys
08-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Just a question....... What are you working on?

Brand new paint? A used car well cared for?

What make and model? These questions will help the forum help you. :)

Newcarsmell
08-28-2019, 07:14 PM
It's a Mercedes AMG 45 hatch. About 8 months old and in white. Never polished (yes i wanted to do this myself just didn't have time). But washed weekly *foam/hand wash and weekdays sometimes rinseless and waterless. It's hard paint i'm sure of. Last time wax was 2-3 months and new wax should be applied now. Just didn't re wax as I have to clay bar, iron x etc...

I really wanted to let detailers do polishing but should be something good to know. Don't wanted to screw up so taking time.

Follow up question is, if I didn't polish and even claybar, I'm sure there are some debri stuck between clear coat and the wax ... will these debris etc get like pushed to the clear coat and eventually sink in the paint.. lol not even sure if you know what i mean

Mike Phillips
08-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Watch the video in the second post in this thread,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/111332-heres-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html)

:)