PDA

View Full Version : New wash mitts - wash before using?

briarpatch
08-28-2019, 04:30 PM
So...just got some new (microfiber chenille) wash mitts during an Autogeek sale.....do I wash them before using them?

Bill D
08-28-2019, 04:50 PM
I don’t see why it would hurt. It might rid the mitts of any manufacturing residue.

PaulMys
08-28-2019, 05:01 PM
I never have.

Have not noticed any ill effects from just using them right out of the package.

57Rambler
08-28-2019, 05:05 PM
This falls under the "it can't hurt" and/or "better safe than sorry" categories.

If there's any dirt or debris from mfg. or storage, washing would help to remove it. And, as Mike always says, make sure to inspect your microfiber after washing and before use, to double-check that it's clean and free of anything that might cause scratching.

PaulMys
08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
This falls under the "it can't hurt" and/or "better safe than sorry" categories.

If there's any dirt or debris from mfg. or storage, washing would help to remove it. And, as Mike always says, make sure to inspect your microfiber after washing and before use, to double-check that it's clean and free of anything that might cause scratching.

When you stop worrying about little things like this is when care care becomes way more enjoyable.

I will trust the manufacturers of these mitts not to ship them with sand or embedded metal shavings included. Lol

That being said, I always visually inspect anything I use.

UncleDavy
08-28-2019, 08:21 PM
As an engineer, I have visited many factories and most manufacturing plants and textile plants are very dirty. It is a good idea to wash new wash mitts before use just as it is a good idea to wash new clothes before you wear them.

PaulMys
08-28-2019, 08:34 PM
As an engineer, I have visited many factories and most manufacturing plants and textile plants are very dirty. It is a good idea to wash new wash mitts before use just as it is a good idea to wash new clothes before you wear them.

Does a dunk into the wash medium and a scrub against the Grit Guard constitute a wash, UD?

UncleDavy
08-28-2019, 08:46 PM
Does a dunk into the wash medium and a scrub against the Grit Guard constitute a wash, UD?

Actually yes, but I would still run them through the washer. They could have fallen on the factory floor, the warehouse floor, the truck floor or the store floor.

PaulMys
08-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Actually yes, but I would still run them through the washer. They could have fallen on the factory floor, the warehouse floor, the truck floor or the store floor.

Ok. Something for us to talk about on your next trip to LI. :)

Dr Oldz
08-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Rule number 1: always wash any type of micro fiber media when new!

We spend a lot of time perfecting paint..... why skip a step that a washing machine does for us anyway?

briarpatch
08-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the replies......they're getting washed tonight before they get put into service this weekend

SWETM
09-03-2019, 12:58 AM
If you take a look at the Apex Detailing Channel on Youtube when he did a video about different kind of wash media. He takes it under the microscope camera. And the chenille wash mitt wash new out of the plastic bag. You saw all kind of dirt in it. So it's a good practice to wash every new mf product before you use it. Some mf has a kind of anti-molding treatment on them when new. But it's coming off with a wash in the washer.

Bill D
09-03-2019, 03:03 AM
I posted it on Autopia for your convenience

fightnews
09-03-2019, 09:24 AM
You're supposed to