PDA

View Full Version : Which shampoo to use for paint correction prep?

Pages : [1] 2

cheekyage
08-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Hi everyone

In preparation for paint correction, do you guys just use your favourite ph neutral car shampoo to wash the car as part of the decon process?

Or do you buy a specific shampoo or add a product to help with the breakdown and strip of previously applied waxes and sealants?

I’ll also be be following up with iron removal fallout, clay and IPA wipe down.

Thanks

UncleDavy
08-25-2019, 10:33 PM
You will want to use a pH neutral soap with no waxes or conditioners and that rinses cleanly. Some good choices are Meguiars Hyperwash, Griots Brilliant Shine or CarPro Reset.

cheekyage
08-25-2019, 10:48 PM
You will want to use a pH neutral soap with no waxes or conditioners and that rinses cleanly. Some good choices are Meguiars Hyperwash, Griots Brilliant Shine or CarPro Reset.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I’ve got some Adam’s Car Shampoo left over, would this be ok?

bofh
08-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Adams is a great choice!

tenreasy
08-26-2019, 09:35 AM
how about Meguiars Gold?

Bill D
08-26-2019, 10:42 AM
I use 3D Pink. Will get even a lightly dirty car super clean with no agitation via foam gun.

2black1s
08-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Just my opinion...

I don't understand the concern over soaps prior to a paint correction. Especially when you're going to do iron removal, claybar, and IPA wipe steps as you have stated. Those steps along with the polishing you will be doing will certainly negate any effects or left behind residues from whatever soap you use for the initial wash and/or any previously applied waxes or sealants.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Bruno Soares
08-26-2019, 12:03 PM
I like McKee's 37 Coating Prep Wash. Sure strips whatever was left from your wax/sealant.

Oz_TCH
08-26-2019, 12:52 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48625441506_dfca137772_c.jpg

briarpatch
08-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Just my opinion...

I don't understand the concern over soaps prior to a paint correction. Especially when you're going to do iron removal, claybar, and IPA wipe steps as you have stated. Those steps along with the polishing you will be doing will certainly negate any effects or left behind residues from whatever soap you use for the initial wash and/or any previously applied waxes or sealants.

I was thinking the same thing

Desertnate
08-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Just my opinion...

I was thinking the same thing

Agree as well. The polishing alone will eliminate anything already on the vehicle, to include a paint coating which clay and iron removers won't remove.

I only have one car wash shampoo (Optimum Car Wash) and use it for everything regardless of what I'm doing to the car.

PaulMys
08-26-2019, 05:28 PM
I also agree.

When planning to machine polish, don't worry about soap. Use whatever soap is your favorite.

Mine happen to be Meg's Hyper Wash, and Optimum Car Wash as mentioned above.

cheekyage
08-26-2019, 05:37 PM
I thought there may have been a specific or recommended shampoo to use to help with the surface prep for paint correction.

I’ve noticed some dedicated shampoos like Adams Strip Wash or Chemical Guys Clean Slate, again wasn’t sure if these products were a necessity for the process I’m going to undertake.

Thanks.

PaulMys
08-26-2019, 05:43 PM
I thought there may have been a specific or recommended shampoo to use to help with the surface prep for paint correction.

I’ve noticed some dedicated shampoos like Adams Strip Wash or Chemical Guys Clean Slate, again wasn’t sure if these products were a necessity for the process I’m going to undertake.

Thanks.

These products are fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them if you already have other soaps.

57Rambler
08-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Agree as well. The polishing alone will eliminate anything already on the vehicle, to include a paint coating which clay and iron removers won't remove.

:iagree: